“Excellent service but tired in places”

InterContinental Riyadh
Ranked #19 of 224 Hotels in Riyadh
Reviewed July 24, 2011

The Riyadh Intercon is a rather old hotel and in many places it shows it. Thankfully the rooms are modern, comfortable and well appointed. Some of the lobby areas are modern and shiny, other parts haven't been touched for 30 years. There is a massive refurb project going on the moment which will no doubt provide an elegant and luxurious reception - but in the meantime you have to make do by entering from the sports club and having a rather long walk to the old reception.

What isn't tired is the service! I'm a member of the Ambassador club and was well received in the separate check in. I arrived at 8am and the team arranged an early check in for me which was great. While I waited for my room they gave me a coffee and croissant.

All the staff I interacted with were excellent. This alone makes up for the mixed standards around the hotel and I could imagine being a loyal customer.

I stayed in an upgraded room which was spacious and had a separate sitting area. The bed was comfortable but the pillows too soft. The bathroom was fine. There is free internet - the wireless connection was bit weak but there is also a network cable. However, that cable wasn't useful for my iPhone :)

If they could just modernise the hotel consistently then this would be deserving 5 stars. For now I'll put 4 stars because the rooms and service were good.

Room Tip: Be ready for a long walk. Ask to be away from the renovations
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
HotelManagement77, Resident Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

Dear Guest,

Let me thank you for your recent review of the InterContinental Riyadh.

Indeed, we are the first 5-star hotel in the city of Riyadh. With our objective to make this hotel more vibrant and younger, we are pleased to inform you that we are now in the final stage of a massive renovation of the main building's lobby, restaurants, conference rooms, including the hotel's main entrance. Please accept my apology for the long walk you are being subjected to because of this renovation. I can assure you that under my management, this hotel will consistently undergo continuous modernization to meet your expectations.

I am doubly happy with your acknowledgement of "excellent service" from our staff. I have cascaded this honor you have bestowed on them and they take pride in giving life of the InterContinental experience.

We have also noted your other comments which will be duly addressed as soon as possible.

We look forward to welcoming you again at the InterContinental Riyadh.

Reviewed May 9, 2011

I recall this Hotel with great affection. I used to visit the Kindom frequently with excellent business guys from St Giles Court (ModSapOffice) in the UK and BAe Chester / Warton. It always was the best place in town to stay and the poolside late afternoon was very welcom after a long hot day at the Miltary Airport or in the office.

The staff from the top down at the hotel were the best for attention to detail and customer satisfaction

I miss the visits to the Hotel , the culture differnace and the whole experiance of the Kingdom

my best regards Bob Feazell

Room Tip: Book ahead see if you can get a pool side room
  • Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
HotelManagement77, Resident Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2011

Dear Mr. Feazell,

I read your review with gratitude and very happy for your personal connection with the InterContinental Riyadh. We missed your visit too and we look forward that you have the opportunity to travel to Riyadh again and savor the unique culture and the InterContinental experience.

The hotel is under renovation and we are sure that you will soon find a new and re-defined lobby, an impsoing and green hotel entrance, luxurious dining rooms and modern conference facilities.

With sincere regards.

Reviewed May 4, 2011

The hotel is undergoing renovation and it needs it as it looks and feels old and tired. Very expensive food and drink - SAR 25 for an orange juice and SAR 142 for breakfast. The internet is very slow and only seems to work intermittently This is not good enough for a business hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of the InterContinental Riyadh. We are pleased to inform you that we are now on the finaly stage of the renovation of the lobby, restaurants, conference rooms including the main entrance.

We trust that on your next visit, we will be able to meet your expectation i.e., a vibrant, new and completely re-defined lobby, modern conference facilities, luxurious dining rooms and a green, well-landscaped hotel entrance.

We have also noted your comments on the prices of our food and beverages. I wish to assure you that our prices were derived from the InterContinental experience and brand which we exclusively extend to you.

Finally, we are happy to inform you that we have already upgraded the speed of our wireless internet and we are proud to confirm that our hotel now has the fastest speed in the entire city of Riyadh.

We look forward to welcoming you again at the InterContinental Riyadh.

Reviewed April 29, 2011

The Holiday Inn Minhal, Riyadh has been reworked to being the Intercontinental in Riyadh. The good thing was that despite huge construction work going on around the hotel there were no disturbances. On the whole an expensive place to stay, but if you have the money, then why not indulge !

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of the InterContinental Riyadh. I would like to express my gratitude for giving your genuine perspective, and sharing your experience while the 24-hour renovation is taking place. I am very pleased to inform you that we are now in the final stage of renovation. We will sonn have a spacious and re-defined lobby, a well-landscaped hotel entrance, luxurious dining rooms plus a conference center equipped with the state-of-the-art facilities.

Meanwhile, I wish to assure you that our prices were derived from the InterContinental experience and brand which we exclusively extend to you.

I trust that we will have the opportunity of welcoming and serving you once again.

Reviewed April 20, 2011

This hotel is currently undergoing extensive refurbishment - so once this is complete much of this review may be redundant.

As it was - the hotel was distinctly average. The buildings and staff had a real 1970s feel and was certainly not 5star.

Rooms was large and clean - though bathroom carried on the 70s theme. Small and dated. Free wifi a plus. Small windows at one end - so poor natural light.

Food was average - and dinner buffet barely average.

The gym was good. I didn't try the other (extensive) facilities)

Nothing overtly wrong or terrible but next time I will stay at the Faisaliyah or Four Seasons.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Mungo888
HotelManagement77, Resident Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of the InterContinental Riyadh.

As you have mentioned, we are in the process of redefining ourselves with a fresh, modern look with this extensive renovation. I am pleased to inform you that we are now in the final stage of renovating our main entrance, lobby, restaurants and conference center.

I hope that by the time you schedule your next visit to Riyadh, we will then have the opportunity to show you the new InterContinental Riyadh. We, therefore, look forward to welcome you once again in this hotel.

With sincere regards,

Reviewed March 20, 2011

This hotel is comfortable, but the construction causes you to have to walk around areas that are being renovated. When I checked out of the hotel, I paid cash to settle my bill. Several weeks later when I received my credit card bill, I was surprised to see that the hotel also charged my credit card! I contacted guest services to reverse the charge, and they verified that I had been double billed and would refund the amount billed to my card. A week later and the charge is still on my credit card which will cause a late fee. This is unacceptable and completely avoidable.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank R0m77

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of the InterContinental Riyadh.

I have gone through your comment and regret to note of the inconveniences that have caused you during your stay. Please accept my sincere apology.

I trust that the refund issue has been completed and rest assured that we have implemented necessary measures to avoid the same in the future.

I also wish to update you that we are now on the final stage of the renovation of the main entrance, lobby, conference rooms and restaurants and look forward to see you soon at the InterContinental Riyadh with a new look.

Reviewed February 26, 2011

The best thing about the hotel is that it has a golf course, which I really enjoyed. The room are spacious and clean. The hotel itself is huge, service is good and they also allow food to be delivered from outside. I enjoyed my stay there. It is conveniently located, cabs are easily available for going to the city.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
HotelManagement77, Resident Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2011

We thank you for your good review of the InterContinental Riyadh during your recent stay with us. Your comments are manifestations of our continuing policy of giving our valued guests the InterContinental experience. You might have also seen that the hotel's main building is under renovation. We are expecting to finish soon so that we can welcome you with a completely redefined lobby including a new conference center. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Tariq Dowidar, Resident Manager