“NOT that good”

Grand Plaza Riyadh Hotel Takhasosi
Ranked #69 of 217 Hotels in Riyadh
“NOT that good”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed there for 4 weeks BB.
The room was fine, but the breakfast was really terrible, worst food ever (low quality and very small quantities from every thing).
I loved the location as it was near by some restaurants and not so close to shopping areas but very close to a HyperMarket called Panda and there was a small food court next to Panda.

Room Tip: Ask for a room next to internet connection or its not important for you, ask for Deluxe rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Arabic first
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Local friends booked our reservation at the Grand Plaza. Driving directions were problematic because of rain and road construction, but then the hotel clerks were unable to guide us from our lost position. We found it finally, and then were asked for our marriage license.
Pros: decent location in town, near main intersections; spotlessly clean and shiny, marble everywhere; wi-fi is free and works fine; room TV excellent with interesting channels; friendly helpful staff (though not fully trained, and not fully English-speaking); very large rooms, with ethnic decorations--you're in Arabia, not a cookie-cutter international chain; breakfast buffet is generous and, again, catering to Saudi tastes. Room curtains effectively block all outside light.
Cons: location is not really near anything in particular, certainly not in walking distance; women are an after-thought (not allowed in fitness room, and would feel awkward in swimming pool); breakfast buffet expensive, dining room dark (though comfortable); rooms designed for looks (check out my gorgeous photos) but not functionality -- shower sprays whole bathroom, mirror is in dark corner, few electrical outlets, mini-fridge makes occasional leaf-blower noise, A/C vent lights up when neighbor turns on his bathroom light!
That was a shock--at midnight our A/C vent lit up, waking us up; a call to the front desk, he offered to move us to a different room? No. Call the neighbor and ask him to turn out the light? Yes. 10 minutes later, the light went out: Bizarre design flaw.
We've stayed at the Plaza in NY. This hotel is not The Plaza.
Let's call this a 3-star hotel, average. We should have stayed at the Ibis--smaller rooms but cheaper, with much better location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeffrey T
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Good location as it is close to a supermarket and restaurants. Service is OK. I got a room with no windows at all and when I complained, nothing happened. I'm surprised it is rated as 4 star. It should be less than that.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with windows. Non smoking rooms also smell cigarettes.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed June 17, 2012

From the picture you would expect a four star hotel but the truth is it not. The hotel staff are helpful but they miss hotel training. The price is very high compared to what you get for the suite.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Riyadh hotels

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I was travelling as the only woman in a business delegation on my second trip to Saudi Arabia and first to Riyadh. The hotel staff made me feel welcome and comfortable. The booking was made by our local contact. They accommodated courteously our many timetable changes. The rooms were clean and comfortable - the only complaint was that the air conditioner in my room was quite noisy. The restaurant was small and a little limited - breakfast was wonderful but lunch and dinner buffets were repetitive. The staff were delightful and extremely helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Jeddah
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I booked 3 nights at this Hotel but I only stayed for one day !,
it is located at Al Takhasossy street, One of the main Roads in Riyadh, where you can Find a lot of restaurants and shopping malls nearby. It is a small hotel with about 4 floors only .
I stayed at room 2217 at the second floor. The room was clean and Good but not as I expected in a 5 star hotel that cost you around 140$ / night.
It was too small and the bathroom had a bad odor, you could hear the noise from the street all day as the windows are not sound proof . the breakfast was good but not excellent, as the orange juice was not fresh . I could found a parking space for my car easily in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: try to stay at the third floor
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Khalid701
Limassol
Reviewed March 16, 2012

The problems started before check in…I Was coming from Khobar with a Taxi and after four hours drive, we finally reached Riyadh and we tried several times to call the hotel but no answer…I heard this from other customers too. Then we found and paid a local taxi who took us there. Once arrived at the hotel I was very disappointed from the area and the hotel exterior which looked very bad. I said never mind and hoped that everything else would be fine. But I was completely wrong….

To begin with check in took us ages. Unfortunately the hotel personnel are very slow, untrained and most of them they don’t speak good English. After the long check in they took me to the room which was new but made of cheap material and the mattress was the worst ever. Beyond that the exterior of the room was attached to a metal staircase where the staff used to get in and out of the hotel and believe me I couldn’t sleep at all that night because of the noise. Similarly the fridge in the room was very noisy and the bathroom had a very bad smell. Therefore next day I asked them to change room and they asked me to wait for thirty minutes for a room to be cleaned and then I could change. Indeed the new room was better but a surprise was waiting for me when I entered the bathroom….the toilet seat wasn’t properly cleaned and had faeces on it!!!!!!!!!!!! I called them to come to the room and they apologized for another time and they cleaned the bathroom again…Then they asked me not to make any issue and they promised to punish the housekeeping manager.

Dining was awful too. The hotel has only one restaurant where they serve breakfast too but the food is very bad. Also the tables were never cleaned and the staff didn’t really care.

Last but not least the hotel is right next a mosque and the prayer call was very loud starting at 5 in the morning…

Therefore as a frequent business traveler to Riyadh I strongly advise you to avoid this place. It was by far my worst experience.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business