TripAdvisor
Mecca
Post
Inbox
Search

“My small pilgrimage to Mecca the Holy Land”
Review of Mecca

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
KL
64 helpful votes
“My small pilgrimage to Mecca the Holy Land”
Reviewed June 22, 2010

Alhamdulillah, finally I arrived at the holy city of Mecca. The feeling is beyond words as I have dream of coming here for years. We arrived from Jeddah at around 9 pm by bus but could not check into the hotel as people were pouring out of the mosque (Kaabah) after prayer. Waited for around an hour and finally walked into the hotel which was not that far anyway.

We took our dinner and went up to freshen up before performing the first umroh at 11 pm and finished by 2 am. We stayed up for subuh prayer and then went back to hotel to rest.

The weather was not so hot as expected but a bit windy at times where dust appear since lots of construction is going on around the mosque. Luckily the taller buildings shielded us. The hotel was not luxurious or big at all but cozy enough for our family of four. The bathroom was quite large probably to accommodate hand washing as well. The most important point is the location is only 300 m from the mosque, beside a yummy ice cream shop and around lots of small shops, laundry and eateries.

A well-known Bin Dawood is nearby where you can get all around the world food there. As well as other things. Inside Hilton towers there are KFC, Baskin Robins, more shops. Basically there is nothing u can miss from home, there are all there. The shop keepers do not speak much English, but they do speak my language - Malay and Indonesia to my amazement. There is no need for me to learn arabic at all.

I did not have a lot of chance touring the shops and sample most of the street food as my days were quite full of prayer and umroh. The rest of the time, relaxing or washing in the hotel room since I have my children with me. Next time, I would do more of those.

I will definitely come back for my pilgrimage and wish to stay longer in Mecca. During the final day I was said to leave Mecca for Medina but pray that I ll be back there soon.

7 Thank xyzn
Singapore, Singapore
1 helpful vote
“Makkah, Land of Karramah”
Reviewed November 26, 2009

Where I discovered the yummiest tasting milk in the world : Camel's milk.. And encountered the most captivating view of sunrise from the peak of Jabal Nur. Subhanallah!

1 Thank Sabeyl
Kilakarai in India
1 helpful vote
“my favourite place is universe”
Reviewed February 1, 2009

My favourite place.
I like the place very much.
Special attraction is Kaaba where most muslims strive to visit

1 Thank Kuthubussaman
Mombasa
46 helpful votes
“My favourite place in the World”
Reviewed November 8, 2007

Only Muslims allowed to visit. I go to Mecca almost every year during the holy month of ramadhan to perform Umrah. This is a place where it's obligatory for every muslim to visit at least once in their lifetime.
Since I am able to do so because I reside in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, I visit Mecca whenever I can. I cannot express the feeling I experience especially during the siting of the Kaába. It's a place where you automatically get detached from the outside World and you can connect to Allah. One thing amazing about this place is that I usually go driving while fasting and it's about 900 Km from where I'm based(Riyadh), about 10 Hrs driving where you would expect to be exhausted from the long drive; but once I enter the Holy City, I feel totaly recharged with energy that I am able to perform the Umrah which would take me another 3 to 4 hrs to complete!!

46 Thank Didi71
Mauritius
90 helpful votes
“A place to discover”
Reviewed July 19, 2007

The atmophere of the Holy City of Mecca cannot be compared to any other places.
The streets are always busy and we enjoyed going to the Holy Mosque at any time of the day. At night it was just amazing.
We stayed at Al Bakry Palace but went out to eat.
There is a vast variety of delicious food presentations. On Ground Floor of the Sofitel there are good cuisine but I loved the Indonesian one just out of the corner.

17 Thank ym267

Been to Mecca? Share your experiences!