“Best Hotel in Makkah”

InterContinental Dar Al Tawhid
Ranked #9 of 364 Hotels in Mecca
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We were a family of 3 and were travelling from Medinah. As this was our first time in Makkah and performing Umrah. The location was important for our stay.

This hotel is absolutely perfect, our Umrah mashallah went well and our stay was great. we checked in on Friday as we arrived early, being a IHG member I was thanked for my membership and the hotel manager was kind enough to provide us a discount voucher for use of one of the restaurant.

I did have slight issue with the room that we initially got allocated, however as I raised this with the manager he was kind enough to change our room which was much better.

Overall, the service was great; our breakfast was wonderful, great hotel!! I will definitely be staying here in the near future.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank tabraizm_13
Dar_Al_Tawhid_IHC, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Dar Al Tawhid, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2014

Dear Mr. Tabraiz M,

Many thanks for your kind review and positive ratings of our hotel. We are very happy to hear that you have had memorable stay with us during first Umrah trip and were truly impressed by the courteous services provided by our professional staff members, as well as IHG Rewards Club member recognition and privileges.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Dar Al Tawhid

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I booked 2 nights here (on points) during our 4 night trip to Makkah. We stayed the first two nights at the Makkah Hilton Towers.

After being upgraded to a junior suite with a Haram view at the Hilton my expectations were high, especially since I'm a gold IHG member. Upon entering the hotel you must take the escalator up to the reception. The chandeliers and stain glass ceilings are stunning. It feels very grand and luxurious. At the check-in desk I was quickly greeted, and at that time I asked if there were any rooms available with a haram view. I was told it would be a 200 (SR) upgrade fee, which I thought was a bit excessive (hilton wanted only 49). After mentioning my experience at the Hilton he went in the back and came back a few minutes later. I was offered a superior city view or a standard twin room haram view. Yay! As much as I did not want the smaller room I was willing to sacrifice comfort for the view. I really appreciated this upgrade, and I prayed for that man when I saw my view (I believe his name was Abdullah)!!

When we got to the elevators to go up to our room I was a little confused about how they work. There were no buttons on the inside?!? The bellhop showed us how to enter our floor on a keypad outside and then it will notify you as to which elevator to enter! How cool is that--your own private elevator every time!

My husband was still doubting my choice about choosing the smaller room over the superior one, but once we opened the door to our room everyone agreed we made the best choice!! Trust me...the haram view is WELL WORTH IT!! Now I see why they wanted 200 riyals! We had a glass wall that overlooked the haram--it was tear inducing!! It put the Hilton's view to shame (and at the time I thought it was great). You are basically dead centre overlooking King Fahd gate. Plus, when you step out of the hotel you are literally right on the marble floors! Fantastic! You can be at the masjid in literally minutes!

Everything here seems to have the latest technologies. The curtains and lights are all operated by the push of a button (even to open and close the curtain), plus there's a main unit on the night table that controls everything. So you could be lying on the bed and opening curtains, lights, even the door! I was very impressed. The room itself was a standard size. Not very big, but it didn't matter after seeing our view. There was a small table with two chairs situated near the window and we turned them around to face the haram like we were seating in a theatre watching a show. The room is tastefully decorated to match the look of the property. Not modern, but it has all the modern conveniences like flat screen tv, and more. I love the fact that the Intercontinental has a lot of little extras that you don't find at similarly classed hotels, such as comfy slippers, shoe horn, extra toiletries (combs, grooming kits, etc) above the typical shampoo and conditioner, plus the welcome fruit bowl and bottles of water. Nice little touches that we appreciate and give them that extra edge over the competition.

Beds were comfortable, and there are several choices for pillows (standard seem to always be very soft -- I prefer firm) so you just have to make a quick call and they'll be there in a jiffy. Room was very clean, and bathroom was spotless. I only wish more hotels in this area had 2 double beds vs the single setup.

We did not eat in the restaurant so can't comment on that (breakfast was 110 riyal which I thought was quite pricey just for breakfast--only 80 at the Hilton). Parking is complimentary for guests, which we used when our friends came from Jeddah to visit with us.

An excellent choice when visiting the Haram. I really can't think of one negative here. Since there's no shopping underneath it you can easily access the shops at the Hilton next door, and across the street is another new shopping centre that has a large food court (there's an Al Baik here) with plenty of food choices. Thanks to everyone at the IC for a perfect stay; highly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank TOtravlr
Dar_Al_Tawhid_IHC, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Dar Al Tawhid, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Dear TOTravlr,

Greetings from the Holy City of Makkah Al Mukarramah.

What an unbiased and fantastic review of our hotel !!

We are as happy to read all your positive comments as much as you were impressed from your stay with us. We can not appreciate enough your explicit review singling out Dar Al Tawhid InterContinental Makkah from other competitors in the market.

Such fine comments would most certainly motivate our entire team members in keeping the Dar Al Tawhid InterContinental flag flying high above.

While assuring of best services at all times, we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

In general its was a great stay..This hotel staff is great and they make everyones Umrah as easy as possible. It is so close to the mosque which was fantastic and at fajr time its brilliant if you have kids..its also close to all the shops/pharmacy/outside food which is so so handy. Also the food in this hotel is incredible. It is so diverse and there is such a great range!

My only complaint about this hotel and it has been on the two occasions i have stayed there is its hygiene, i say that because on two occasions in one year..my toliet was leaking..they obviously solve this problem very quickly..however it was slightly annoying.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank sakinahussainsh
Dar_Al_Tawhid_IHC, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Dar Al Tawhid, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2014

Dear Ms. Hussain,

Thank you for your review and we appreciate your positive ratings. We are glad to read your positive sentiments regarding our staff members and food varieties at our restaurants.

It is disappointing to hear about the unpleasant experience of your room toilet leakage although this was attended to and fixed “ very quickly “. In spite of carrying out regular scheduled preventive maintenance to avoid such incident, you will understand that unwarranted occurrences might take place anywhere anytime. However, your comment is important to us and this has been shared with our Chief Engineer to take necessary corrective action.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

We had previously stayed at this hotel in january for two nights and we decided to stay again in May for five nights.

This hotel is in a superb location for the Mosque. There are no distracting malls to walk through as you walk to the Mosque. The Mosque is right there on your doorstep.

The hotel is very clean. The staff are polite and helpful.

Particularly I want to highlight the following.

We arrived on an early flight and reached the hotel at 11am. I had notified the hotel in advance of this because we were travelling with a baby which can be a stressful experience and asked that the room please be available. The room was available. Thank you.

Further we had special requests for the warming of baby food and steralising of baby bottles. Room service were always there to assist with a smile.

The only point of improvement I would like to make is the variety of the breakfast. There is not a large selection of fresh fruit and vegetables. I.e melons, strawberries, avocados. The breakfast was geared more towards sugary foods which are ok to eat occasionally but not every day. A juicing station would be a great idea.

Would I stay here again?. Of course. It is an excellent hotel with wonderful facilitoes and you can't get nearer to the Mosque.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Mr. / Ms. Nasir,

Thank you for your repeated patronage of our hotel and for taking the time to post your review.
We are happy to hear that you always enjoy your stays with us and our staff members contribute a great deal in making your stays as comfortable as possible.

Thank you for bringing up your observations regarding the breakfast buffet. Your comments have been shared with our Food & Beverage Director who will look into it.

While assuring of best services at all times, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

The best place to stay near alharam when you visit Makkah. It is my second timr there and from all the luxarious hotels in the area I find this hotel is the perfect spot if you want to be able to access Alharam as quick as possible when the prayer times is due, whild being able to rest at the comfort of your room inbetween prayer times. The rooms are dicorated with ancient Arabian style. The bathroom is spacious with great amenities. The hotel staff are helpful.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Dar_Al_Tawhid_IHC, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Dar Al Tawhid, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Dear Dr. Muneera,

Greetings from Dar Al Tawhid InterContinental Makkah.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received great service from our team members. It's something our staff takes great pride in and we value your kind feedback.

We thank you once again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

We loved our stay . The hotel has a very calm feeling to it and very conveniently located . I just cant forget the amazing fragrance that was used in the lobby air conditioning system . I wanted to know what kind of fragrance was used ? And where to get it .

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Mr. Shahzad,

Greetings from Dar Al Tawhid InterContinental Makkah.

We are pleased to hear that you truly enjoyed your recent stay with us and like many of our guests you too liked the fresh fragrance at our hotel lobby.

We have already sent you a private message requesting to provide us with your email address to our main email “ intercontinental.daraltawhid@ihg.com “ so that we can send you some information as requested.

We thank you once again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back soon to restore your confidence in your hotel.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

I have stayed in many of the top hotels in Makkah on my previous visits , but I was suprised on how different and nice this hotel was. Very clean , excellently maintained , location , service .. Would definatley stay here again , just one area for consideration , the hotel security need to be a bit more polite and friendly in how they profile the "type of people " which they think can stay there .

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Ad1551
Dar_Al_Tawhid_IHC, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Dar Al Tawhid, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Dear Ad1551,

Greetings from Dar Al Tawhid InterContinental Makkah.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to the Holy City. It is indeed nice to hear that you were pleasantly impressed especially from our services and cleanliness.

We are sorry to note your observation regarding the behavior of our security officers. Your observation is important to us; as it is only with genuine feedback from our valued guests like your good self that we can monitor our success, or indeed our failures, in fulfilling the intended high standards of service guests would expect from Dar Al Tawhid InterContinental Makkah. Please be rest assured, your comment has been discussed with our security team members for improving in their dealings with guests and visitors alike in a more humane manner.