“Not a Five-Star Property...Stay at Your Own Risk”

Pullman ZamZam Makkah
Ranked #9 of 372 Hotels in Mecca
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The good: Close proximity to the Holy Mosque (five minute walk or less); the lunch buffet in the Tea Garden restaurant was very good to excellent, room service was decent, and the breakfast buffet was varied and of good quality; prayers from the Haram are piped into the rooms via loudspeaker; our room was billed as having a Kaaba view, and it did (albeit a partial one).

The bad: This hotel is extremely crowded (at least during our stay--we were there from Tuesday, May 27, 2013 until Friday, May 31, 2013). The lobby is always overflowing, as are the elevators--good luck squeezing in (or out--people start piling in before the previous occupants can exit!). It's hotel is billed as a five-star, but it is badly in need of refurbishment. We stayed in a "Presidential Suite"--it was certainly big, but not palatial in any way, shape, or form. The beds were the most uncomfortable I've ever slept in--lumpy and sagging. Everything in the suite was tired and worn-looking. If we had been paying a cheaper rate, perhaps it would not have rankled so much, but we paid almost $300 per night.

The ugly: The first suite had black mold in the bathroom, the air conditioner was not working properly (it was around 112 F in Makkah during our stay), and the master bedroom smelled of urine. To be fair, after complaining to the concierge, I was able to change the suite (which I made sure to inspect before moving!). However, even the new suite was worn and not too clean--but at least the bathroom didn't have moldy walls. The shower in the smaller bathroom leaks all over the floor, i.e. floods it. The shower curtains are stained and dingy.

Bottom line: not worth the money. Black mold is not only disgusting, but a health hazard! Management: your staff is nice enough, but obviously overwhelmed. Please take some of the money you are undoubtably making and clean up what was probably once a beautiful property. Next time, I think I'll give Raffles a try...my first umrah experience was definitely marred by my stay in your property.

1  Thank NIanieri
Hesham K, Quality & Attitude Manager at Pullman ZamZam Makkah, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Pullman Zamzam Makkah. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Pullman, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future

Please address your next stay at Pullman ZamZam Makkah to my attention to allow us to take personal care of you.
Until then, please accept our regards.

Hesham Al Kabbany
Quality & attitude Manager
H6036-QM@accor.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,012)

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Very conveniently located with just minutes from Gate 1. The shopping complex also has a large food complex. The breakfast buffet has a good selection of items with continental, Arabic, Asian and other breakfast cuisines.

The rooms have a luxury feeling but the two rooms we had smelled a bit which is really something a top class hotel like this one should be able to address. Worst of all one of the rooms was not ready till 6:30pm which is unacceptable since checkin time is 4pm.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank doods007

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Pullman Zamzam Makkah. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

To bad, this hotel is deciving guests.The hotel pictures indicates it is next to the Holly Mosque, but you need to walk far distance to reach to the reception from the entrance. Ceck-in takes more than 3 Hours. You are lucky if managed to get your reserved and reconfirmed room earlier than 5 pm, This hotel is going to ruin Pullman chain.

Room Tip: Do not go for this Hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank FAHADalahmadi
Hesham K, Quality & Attitude Manager at Pullman ZamZam Makkah, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Until then, please accept our regards.

Hesham Al Kabbany
Quality & Attutide Manager
H6036-qm@accor.com

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Location: It is obviously the closest hotel to the haram. And that too very near to the King Fahd gate and escalator which leads you to the airconditioned area of the haram, i found this very useful. If you keep walking out of the hotel in a straight line you reach The King Abdul Aziz gate.
Very useful for my elderly mum who returned to the room after every prayer to use the toilet.
You however need to catch a lift to the 11th floor of the Abraj towers to reach the lobby of the hotel and then take a further lift to your room.Takes about 8-10 mins from your room door to the outer verandah of the haram. But at least it is 10 mins of travelling in lifts in a airconditioned shopping mall. And at the price Zam Zam is offering now, simply cannot complain!

Room: Got upgraded to Kaba view - on 18th floor... stunning!!! Room itself was very clean, well made and as expected of a 4 star hotel. Carpets, linen, beddings, safe locker - all perfect. Room service cleaned things promptly i have no complaints

Bathroom/Toilet: Some age shows where wood and plastering seems to age/chip off. But I saw room service with trolley of paints and plasters touching up on just this. Is this a negative - not at all. Dint affect my experience one bit

Breakfast: Since I dont know what 7 star breakfast is, I can only give it 5 stars!!!! Definitely far far superior to other 4-5 star hotels in makkah or madinah. Just be careful of stuffing yourself - Sunnah is to eat 1/3 rd of the stomach.
It was unfortunate to see some guests hoard their plates with food more than they can eat, only to waste it later. Probably the management could find a way to gently remind its guests about wasting food especially during a spiritual journey.

Laundry: as expected from a 5 star hotel - very expensive. You might as well buy new clothes than wash and press them at the hotel. The only laundry around is ANSAR LAUNDRY in Safa Tower next to the MAkkah tower. And he knows his worth and costs still steep. Anyone interetsed in a business opportunity should considerf this

Finally, I would not have taken time to write so much about the courteous staff, the food and the hotel, if I had not enjoyed the stay. Would definitely not do so much for my Madinah Hotel!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
3  Thank aqeeldoc

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Going through some reviews of this hotel before reserving, I had some concerns about Qualiy of Servcie...after my stay there i can confidently testify that their Quality of service is "|Good" and improving, staff everywhere around the hotel are helpful trying to make your saty as much comfortable as they can, food is good for breakfast, it satify almost all nationalities.room was having a stunning view of Kaaba, clean, bed is comfortable and big.- Queen size- it can accommodate 2 samll children.
I'll recommend this hotel for my extended family & friends.

1  Thank Ahmad o
Hesham K, Quality & Attitude Manager at Pullman ZamZam Makkah, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Located just few step away from of King Abdul Aziz gate of Haram, we were very lucky to have booked a room there. Haram was somehow empty by the time of our performance of Omrah so it was easy. Upon check in we required a wheel chair for my mother in law as to ease your omrah performance and the hotel happily provided it. Check in and check out wouldn’t have been easier staff of the hotel seems professional and friendly.

Breakfast buffet food was good with lots of variety, missing only cooking fresh eggs, but it not a big deal…

I do wish to come back again form omrah during Ramadan and definitely I will stay there again.

2  Thank Rania f
Hesham K, Quality & Attitude Manager at Pullman ZamZam Makkah, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I went for Ummrah with my wife; I arrived before checkin time which is 2 pm. I spoke to the front offices manager; he was so friendly person with great skill of communication. the room was nice and clean "I liked it. the Haram was very close to the hotel less than 5 minutes walk.

2  Thank Hsoon
Hesham K, Quality & Attitude Manager at Pullman ZamZam Makkah, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013