Stayed here for 2 nights recently and we loved our Junior Suite. The place was enormous and the views of the Haram were amazing. The room could easily host a dinner for 15 people without getting congested!
The few issues that really drive visitors crazy are the extremely slow check-in process. We arrived at 9pm from Jeddah and were not checked in until after 11. This is absolutely unacceptable for a property such as this. Either the staff are not well trained to deal with high traffic or they just don't care enough to provide better customer service. I hope it's the former - at least this can be addressed by the hotel management. Unfortunately, for a place such as Makkah where the flow of guests is continuous, I think the hotels know that people will come regardless, so they really don't make any attempt to fix their issues.
The check-in guy was pleasant, but after standing in line for such a long time, I wasn't in a good mood. We had planned to check in, drop our luggage, freshen up and go for Umrah and be back by midnight. Didn't happen - we were just left with extremely cranky kids who wanted nothing more than to sleep by that time.
The breakfast, for us, was very nice. We were able to find a spot easily on both days and were able to enjoy the various options. It's not a huge spread, but really - it is more than enough to suit everyone's needs and tastes. The service we received at the restaurant was also fine - we had no issues with the waiters. They were polite and responded to our requests in a timely manner.
The lifts do take awhile to come and go, and it's a headache to take the different elevators and go thru the maze, but I guess this is something hotel really cannot address. It is what it is :)
The few things I'd fix:
1) Increase efficiency for staff. Check-in should not exceed 10mins per customer. Most people have already made reservations, pull it up, copy the IDs, take the payment, punch the keys and you're on your way - I don't understand what the problem is? :)
2) The parking needs to be better marked - we went round and round the Haram for a good 40minutes before I was told where the parking was. It's in the tunnel under the Masjid, but no signs there. The whole Abraj complex should be well pointed out - it's the biggest building in town!
3) Getting our car from the parking took over 40minutes. Again, unacceptable.
So overall, the comments are that this property has great rooms and other amenities but is lacking in the quality of service. Would I recommend this - yes, with the note that don't expect Dubai-level customer service and efficiency.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just steps away from the holiest site in Islam, Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel is the iconic symbol of hospitality for people from around the globe who have gathered to worship, reflect and contemplate. Standing as the tallest concrete building in the world with 76 floors, Makkah Clock Royal Tower is the focal point of the Abraj Al Bait Complex, part of the King Abdulaziz Endowment project. Its soaring height and proximity to Al Masjid Al Haram allow guests to enjoy unmatched breathtaking views from 945 rooms and suites, while 76 elevators provide easy access to and from Al Masjid Al Haram. The hotel also offers 10 delicious dining options ranging from innovative Asian fusion to the first five-star Saudi restaurant in Makkah. Other amenities include: a female and male fitness center, a Kids Corner playroom, a 24-hour business center, more than 3200 meter squared of flexible function space, and eight state-of-the-art meeting rooms. For the height of exclusive service and privacy, Fairmont Gold promises guests a ‘hotel within a hotel’ experience through a range of privileges like a private reception and 24-hour butler service.. A seamless fusion of Arab hospitality, modern comfort and signature Fairmont service, combine to create an unforgettable experience in this divine setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Fairmont Hotels, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel Mecca