“Accepting booking for Quad rooms while they don't have any Quad rooms!!!”

Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel
Ranked #15 of 378 Hotels in Mecca
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Checked in at Fairmont Makkah today and the experience was so bad. I made a reservation for 4 adults and when I entered the room, it was surprisingly a triple room. When I talked to the acting manager (Abdel Rahman), he was not polite/proffessional enough to acknowledge the problem. He said that this is the rooms we have and I'll send you extra bed. The room was too small that when they brought the extra bed, they barely found a space side by side to other bed. I don't think this is safety compliant at all. I am actually surprised why they accept booking for 4 adults while they are not prepared for that and I am surprised more that Fairmont is employing such impolite unprofessional employees like this acting manager

• Stayed: March 2013
10  Thank MohamedKamel
Siwar B, Social Media Manager at Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear Mr. Kamel,
Thank you for your post. Please accept our sincerest apologies for this misunderstanding. You should have been informed during your reservation process that we offer triple-bed rooms with the option of an additional pull-out bed or cot for a fourth guest. There are no rooms that contain four standing beds. Additionally, we are sorry if any of our team was unhelpful in this regard - we pride ourselves on our high standards of service, and we apologize if this was not your experience. Please do email us directly at socialmediamakkah@fairmont.com with additional details so we can resolve this issue and make sure it doesn't happen again. Thank you again for your helpful feedback.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,169)

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I came with my husband and two boys from March 6th - 11th. I just want to say that we absolutely loved our stay at this immaculate hotel. The service and staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was delicious with a huge variety - freshed pita baked right in front of you. The rooms were incredibly comfortable with thought put into everything, reading lights above the bed, temperature control, speaker volume adjustment ( azan and prayer heard live through here), plush towels, mini fridge, key entry safe, quality soaps and shampoos, pillow top Sealy mattresses and feather down pillows! and fragrant atmosphere throughout the hotel was incredible! There's also a pray hall that over looks the Haram. Our stay at the Fairmont was the best we've ever had. It is quite evident that there was a lot of attention to detail in every aspect of our stay. Would not stay any place else if we are fortunate enough to visit again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Sohaib R
Siwar B, Social Media Manager at Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you so much for your great review! We are so happy that you found our service and staff friendly and that you enjoyed our breakfast and special details like the live azan prayer and reading lights! Our team looks forward to welcoming you and your family in the Holy City again soon!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed at the Fairmont Clock Tower during the Hajj period of 2012, checking from the 29th Oct to 31st Oct (3 nights).

Our stay here was a last minute booking as we had a bad experience with our tour operator and decided to stay a few days near the Haram Sharif so through a mutual friend, we managed to get booked into this hotel.

The check in process at first was seamless and the room was large with a half view of the top floor of the haram, which was nice.

We came down for our first breakfast and we were asked before entering the restaurant our room no which we gave and having been to other 5* hotels this was the norm. However, it was only until we got an comfortable remark to confirm we are staying at the hotel, I had to state that I paid in full the night before.

We were let in after 5 mins and deterred so had breakfast, which was a good selection of western food and local specialities.

The following day, at breakfast time the same staff member recognised us and asked us again for Room no and I had to prove that I have already paid for my stay. The staff member made a rude remark to his colleague and we realised that our experience was going to get even more interesting from this point on!

Dinner selection was adequate and we continued to feel neglected as on several occassions my wife tried to order water from the waiters and they kept ignoring us, we had to wait over 10 minutes for a glass of water. I have been to Saudi Arabia before and being treated like this for not being a local is not something new to me, and in fact something I have heard from several friends.

The lobby is impressive and the location to Haram is within a stone throw which was ideal for us, having come during the Hajj period so our stay was mainly to stay in the Haram for prayers.

On checkout day, I decided to go down much earlier as I had a feeling our experience had been a bad one so did not want to chance any further issues. Not surprising, the Reception staff had an issue with our check in, they could not see where we had paid for our stay and asked us to pay the whole 3 nights,,,again!

I was astonished and looked at my wife as we were in disbelief, I explained that I paid in full already the first night as the Reception staff that night requested I paid in full. They refused to believe me and requested full payment.

Luckily, I had a receipt with my payment and provided this to the staff and they still could not find the payment on the system. By this point, I had seen enough and called the Hotel Manager, I explained my frustrations from day one and asked him to look into this matter, why am I being asked to pay for stay..twice!

After 10 mins, the staff could still not find our booking and it was only until I called up the agent I booked with him and he had to convince the staff that it was paid and they then managed to find the booking on their system!

At the end, the Hotel manager apologised to us for the experience and would look into their procedures. I was not convinced that any improvements would be made as I felt that staff were 'arrogant' and did not care about their guests.

I have stayed at the Sheraton, Hilton and many other places but any hotel would not 'accuse' any of their customers of not paying for their stay and would always try and make them feel welcomed.

A 5 star hotel is not necessarily by the location, facilities or food...it also includes service which I am afraid Fairmont have a lot to learn.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank Naeem P
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Building structure from Outside was very outstanding as it says The Tallest Clock tower in Makkah Saudi Arabia, from inside the Reception is very large & welcoming with smiling staff very helpful every time, Double Room for 2 people with King size bed good neat & clean Rest room all around you will get what you pay for very Decent.

Room Tip: If you're four guest ask for Double room instead of Quad you will get good space & value for...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Agha M
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed at fairmont from 10 feb 2013
First impressions aren't great due to taxi having to go via this low under the building area which is quite smelly and dusty.
Once in, the lobby is impressive, check in was seamless and good
The room was very small and the view was that of a brick wall, I am fairly sure we had not paid on the low side so this was disappointing.
The breakfast offers good choice and the cue was well managed
I gave the hotel 3 out of 5 mainly because the vibe you get from the hotel is not that of a fairmont in London or even Dubai, staff seem to be tense rather than welcoming and calm and that's a put off.
I was also annoyed though no fault of hotel that from haram shareef into the mall, it's a longgg walk to the fairmont lift, you pass swissotel, amwaj and movenpick, so next year I shall not be returning to this place.

Room Tip: Ring and confirm your room details
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Siwar B, Social Media Manager at Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback! We apologize if you didn't like the view of the room assigned to you and we have discussed this directly with our front-desk manager. Please do email us at socialmediamakkah@fairmont.com so that we can make sure you were assigned the correct room per your reservation. We also do our best to accommodate our guests' preferences so please do let us know if you intend on visiting the Holy City in the near future so we can make sure you have the best stay possible. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know your thoughts.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

So far its my favorite hotel in Makkah. Its very beautiful and luxurious, although thats not strange for a chain like the fairmont. The location is great; a 5 minute walk from your hotel room to Haram, and it has some of the best restaurants in town. The staff was extremely friendly and hospitable. And the room was practical, luxurious and comfortable.

Room Tip: Get a Haram View
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I've been to some Makkah's hotels in the past few years. I usually tolerate the mediocre services because of the pressures of dealing with the large influx of pilgrims. Staying in Makkah Clock Royal Tower completely changed my mind. The check in was smooth and easy. Staff were around to help. They were doing a great job but seem to do it effortlessly. The room was clean and had all needed amenities. I really liked Fairmont unique toiletries. The breakfast was very good with a arge variety of food to choose from. Impressive service of an impressive
hotel.