“Highway robbery in the Holy City”

Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel
Ranked #13 of 358 Hotels in Mecca
Kuwait City, Kuwait
“Highway robbery in the Holy City”
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

This is one of the mega hotels in the Holy city of Makkah. Check-in was smooth as I checked in around 7pm, but I noticed that the young receptionist didn't ask for my credit card to be put on file, I liked the trust but trouble will soon be detailed. The receptionist asked me if I wanted a double bed room and not as I reserved (One king) and informed me that the room I reserved was small. Again I liked the courtesy but later I will discribe the room that I got. The hotel has different elevator rows for different parts of the hotel, meaning if you wish to go to your room from the lobby you take an elevator and if you want to go the Haram (Grand masjid) you take another elevator, that was a headache of a process. When I entered the room, sure it was big because it had three beds, mind you it was only me and my wife so it felt that we lost some of the family. The room was a bit dusty, the connected door to the adjacent room brought us all what the other family were shouting about all night. Around 10:30pm we ordered food from room service which took 40 minutes to arrive and it was great. I signed the bill and gave the gentleman a tip in Kuwaiti Dinar and on he went. An hour later (Almost midnight!), the phone rings and another gentleman informs me that I should pay cash for what I ordered since there wasn't a Credit card on file! I asked the gentleman not to call me again since this was the Receptionist's error and that I will settle this tomorrow. I had a talk the morning after with the Manager on call who was a cheerful young fellow about what have happened and gave him my Credit Card to be put on file. Not a single banana was left in our room after that incident, so much for the courtesy. The only thing in the hotel that clicked for us was the food, the breakfast buffet and room service were fantastic. Prior to our check out, I inquired about the fee of a car from the hotel to Jeddah Airport, and was astonished to know that it was 440 Saudi Riyals (We took a Chevrolet Caprice from Jeddah Airport to the Hotel for 200 S.R!). The morning of the check out, I wanted to book one of those over priced cars but told by the concierge that they were sold out. Not to worry I said to my self, this is the concierge and they will arrange for another company to take us, but to my amazement the gentleman said there is nothing that he could do! Courtsy at its best! I threw a fit and lectured the gentleman a bit about the duties of a concierge and his Manager came out and insured me that he will take care of the car, which he did (same highway robbery rate of 440 Saudi Riyals). I requested a late check out by 2pm and was given that. The Hotel car was supposedly waiting for us at 2:30pm but we had to wait for 15 minutes injoying car fumes untill the car arrived. The driver was doing 140kmh most of the way. Advice, find another hotel untill the hotel management get their act together, that's what I will do.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank bindaham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Canada
Reviewed January 17, 2013

we stayed in this hotel in 2 deluxe rooms. We drove in from Jeddah and despite other reviews, coming in was easy, just go below the Haram in the tunnel and it is the second "mini"exit. Check in from the tunnel with kids and bags was somewhat cumbersome, and there is strong garbage stench in the entrance, thanks to all hotels I think using this level for deliveries etc. Front desk staff were friendly but inexperienced. Rooms were spacious and well furnished but I could not believe how much water damage there was with peeling of the paint!!! some carpet spots but not as bad as I thought I would see from other reviews. bathroom was well appointed with excellent amenities, but some sharp edges not suited for kids. again small evidence of imperfect leaning with spots etc. Window facing Kaaba is large and reasonable view, but extremely dirty, I think there is a problem with the whole complex not servicing windows. the issue of two elevators was not bad at all, wait time is short compared to other Meccah hotels. walk to the Kaaba is short and comparable to the IC hotel. Breakfast was an excellent buffet, not the best, but excellent. the staff (especially locals) were overwhelmed, but always had a smile. Bed is comfortable. we ordered in room dining, the burger was very pricy at SR145, but was of a superb quality...I used business center and it is pricy to print.. would come to the complex again, but I will try the Rotana and Raffles instead...

Room Tip: lvl 16 has double the elevators
1 Thank G A
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2013

stayed in this hotel in aug 2012 in month off ramadan the staff was pleasaent and vey polite the food was good the location was very good to only walking distance to the holy mosque the room was big enough for to people and you have option to up grade to a kabba view but at a cost over all the hotel was good cant complain and would stay again there

Room Tip: the higher you go the the bigger the rms are but this is a 5 star hotel i coudnt fualt any thing ps...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank ilyas p
Siwar B, Social Media Manager at Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel and that you found the staff pleasant and polite. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Regards,
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The hotel have some short-comes which are listed below:
1-You need to use two separate elevators to exit the hotel.
2-Their staff is less experienced.
3-Cleanness of the rooms is not a 5* standard.
4-You might be fooled by the high price Kaaba view which also means not viewing the Holly Kaaba, and the glass is not clean.
5-No swimming pool.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank sirwbk
Tunis, Tunisia
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Its one of the greatest hotels in Saudi Arabia, 1 - The reception is very nice 2 - the rooms is elegant especially the executive floor 3 - The room Service is good , you feel very comfortable
4 - The site seeing of the Haram Maka is one of the advantages of this hotel
but this doesn't meen that every thing is good the worst thing in this Hotel is the WiFi networking its truly bad

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Ahmed B
Makkah
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The hotel is excellent, breakfast is excellent, rooms are very comfortable. The only problem I had is that security are very racist, since I'm from an Indian background I don't wear a Arab thobe or shemagh , the security on two occasions prevented me from entering the hotel 1) they demanded to see my room card, 2) they stopped since I had food( it was Indian food, Arab guy walks in with burger king he was allowed through), another silly regulation is that a person cannot bring takeout food into the restaurant .

3 Thank Acs971
Siwar B, Social Media Manager at Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for pointing out your experience with security. Our priority is our residents' comfort, and we are disappointed to see that you felt mistreated in any way. We will be relaying this incident directly to the security management team in the Abraj Al Beit complex to investigate this further (please feel free to email us at socialmediamakkah@raffles.com for any additional details.) Additionally, for the protection of our guests (namely because we can't guarantees safety of outside foods and due to potential hazards of heating food in rooms), we do not allow any food from outside the hotel. The person carrying Burger King should have certainly been informed of this policy also. Of course, there are some exceptions including special dietary requirements that may be unavailable. Thank you again for taking the time to post and for giving us your feedback.
Regards,
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Being a platinum member I have stayed in many Fairmont facilities around the world and I rate Fairmont Makkah one of the best due to its location, lay out, services, rooms and attention to detail. I was surprised to see mixed reviews as my wife and I found our stay outstanding. The staff was extraordinarily courteous (specifically Mr. Serag, Mr. Khairi and Mr. Ben Salah) I was immediately recognized as a Platinum member and was treated like a VIP. I have not seen such recognition in any other Fairmont location and would like to commend the General Manager and his team for doing a fabulous job. The rooms are comfortable specifically Kaaba view, breakfast is elaborate.

The best experience we had was due to the services provided by Mr Fazil Hussain who went out of the way in assisting us in selecting the best asian food and provided personalized attention. We observed him providing extra ordinary services to guests with his pleasing personality despite the restuarant being full during breakfast. I am a frequent traveler and fussy about attention to detail and only write reviews rarely when I am really impressed. I strongly recommend for Mr Fazil Hussain to be recognized by the management.

Cons: 1. some times the staff knock on the door despite "do not disturb" sign on the door.
2. Car entry to the facilities is complicated and wastes a lot of time.

Room Tip: Select Kaaba view
2 Thank Khawaja Aftab A
Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our service personalized! Mr. Fazil and the rest of the team look forward to welcoming you back soon! Regards,