“Average but costly”

Al Marwa Rayhaan by Rotana-Makkah
Ranked #11 of 364 Hotels in Mecca
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Hotel does not provide free Wi Fi internet service. The rooms are smaller. Room service and housekeeping is not satisfactory. Hotel tariff is higher compare to other hotels in the vicinity. Getting taxi from hotel is difficult.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
almarwarayhaan50, Resident Manager at Al Marwa Rayhaan by Rotana-Makkah, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear Mr. Rizwan

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. It is only through candid, constructive feedback that we can strive to better our products and refine our services.

Every hotel is defined by the quality of service that it provides to its guests. Our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, therefore be assured that the comments and suggestions we received are taken seriously. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

We look forward to be of continued service up to your expectations and we hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

There are newer reviews for Al Marwa Rayhaan by Rotana-Makkah

Reviewed August 7, 2014

We stayed at this hotel, from the 28th till 1st. a family of 7 adults and 1 child
it started great, we went to reception an were told the rooms were ready for us, a quad and triple, and that they were joined together with a interlocking door as we were travelling as a family, so that was great, we took the fast lift to the floor, which was the second floor. we had the rooms 201,202. i was going to be in the quad room, so i entered the room, at first there was a very disgusting smell of urine and the carpet on the floor was dirty( i will add some picture),
i entered the first bedroom and there was only 2 beds in there, as we booked it as a quad room, i was expecting there to be another room with another 2 bed, but when i looked around, there was no other room with the 2 bed, so we went to the hotel reception and found out our travel agent "KHIDMAH TRAVEL" From London had booked us in to a double room with 2 extra junior beds, which is not what we paid for, we paid for 4 adult beds. so this was an issue with the agent we had to sought out with which took us 4 days.
As we were in our state of Ummah and had our ehram on we wanted to quickly freshen up and go do tawaf and etc, but when i entered the toilet there was worse to see, the water in the toilet was yellow and stayed yellow even after many flushes, there was mold growing on the corner of the walls, the wall was very dirty and the shower head was damaged, also the toilet was put in such a position, that when you tried sitting on it, your legs needed to make a split not to touch the shower glass(will add picture). so that was done, as we continued to communicate with out agent to change rooms or hotels, we went and done our umrah, that night, 4 of the family slept on the beds and the other 4 slept on the dirty floor after a long tiring day. The next morning my brother tried to switch on one the lights in rooms but was given an electric shot by the plug and the plastic cap fell of the plug revealing the electrical wires.
The positive for this hotel was its breakfast, with its many types of food, woth some great views overlooking the kabba. Also this hotel is the easiest and fastest hotel to get in to in the abraj al bait complex with its many other hotels.
I just could believe that this hotel was a 5*, it was surely a 2,3 star. I stayed at dallah taibah in madina which was a 3,4 star and which was many times better that this hotel.

i came to this hotel with so much high expectations but left with much bad fellings.

3  Thank Husain B
Nidal A, Director Of Rooms at Al Marwa Rayhaan by Rotana-Makkah, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2014

Dear Mr. Husain,

I greatly appreciated you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and to share your experiences with us; we would like to extend our apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your recent stay.

It is our goal to consistently provide finer service and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests like you enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

As an effort to retain your patronage and to demonstrate our commitment to guest satisfaction, please accept our apology and invitation for free upgrade to one of our newly renovated classic Suites for your next visit to Makkah, and give us the chance to take care of you, our valued guest.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose Rotana Hotels & Resorts for your future travel needs.

Thank you for your feedback and please contact me directly for further help and necessary arrangement for your future reservation.

Best Regards,

Nidal M, Alayan
Director Of Rooms

Reviewed August 5, 2014

My recent stay with my wife and parents was exceptional & memorable! We stayed there for 3 nights. I would like to personally thank Nidal Alayan and Hassan AlHasawi for giving an exceptional service to us with an amazing upgrade surprise to Royal Suite with Panoramic Kaaba view! Mashallah I won't forget this stay. We enjoyed the high quality yummy international breakfast and dinner buffet. This is the closest hotel to Haram with few meters walk and also closest to have an amazing full Kaaba view from your suite. It was very convenient for my parents as both have knee problems. Only comment on improvement side will be Wifi, Wifi Signals are little weak, but i managed it through with my cellular data plan.

This was my second stay with Rotana Makkah. Exceptional hotel with an amazing professional management! Thank you once again guys. Keep up the good work! Our next stay in Makkah will definitely be with Rotana again.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
almarwarayhaan50, Resident Manager at Al Marwa Rayhaan by Rotana-Makkah, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Dear Mr. Salam,

Thank you very much for posting this review and sharing your feedback regarding your recent experience at Al Marwa Rayhaan by Rotana - Makkah.

I am very glad to know that the level of our services and facilities exceeded your expectations, giving you an enjoyable stay all throughout.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Al Marwa Rayhaan by Rotana, Makkah. once again.

Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

You look at the property and the haram vicinity; just one word awesome. This is one of the best properties close to haram at good price for star facilities. Rooms re good with serene and blissful views of haram.Could have been a lot better. Just that the attitude at the desk and services all around needs a complete overhaul. Loads of improvements needs to be done with staff

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank shadaaaab
almarwarayhaan50, Resident Manager at Al Marwa Rayhaan by Rotana-Makkah, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Dear Mr. Shadaab

Thank you very much for posting this review and sharing your feedback regarding your recent experience at Al Marwa Rayhaan Rotana - Makkah.
Your constructive feedback related to Staff is much appreciated, we have taken it on board, for immediate action..

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Al Marwa Rayhaan Rotana - Makkah. Once again.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel during Haaj. Overall this is a fantastic hotel and the property is part of the Haram, and right outside from the lobby you are at the Kaaba. The hotel is fairly new and nicely appointed. We had a high floor room and to my surprise upon opening the door I had a birds eye view of the Kaaba right from my window. The room was clean, very up to date and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was fairly nice and clean as well. What a delight to see the Kaaba from up above at every opportunity. The food at this hotel was great - we had the breakfast buffet and dinner every night and there were plenty of choices to suit everyone's tastes and palettes. The hotel also has a mall built in which is a nice convenience. There is a Starbucks in the mall and some other nice fast food places to grab lunch or a snack.
Overall a nice hotel to stay at in Mecca and I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask if you can get a higher floor, Kaaba view room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
almarwarayhaan50, Resident Manager at Al Marwa Rayhaan by Rotana-Makkah, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Dear Mr. MJBaig

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Al Marwa Rayhaan Makkah. once again.

Resident manager

Reviewed July 13, 2014

I think the hotel as a physical property is great. It is within very close proximity to the Haram, with relatively easy access to and from the Haram. But as an experience, this is definitely the worst hotel I've been ever to. I think the hotel problem is its management philosophy. There is this apparent thought everywhere in the hotel that hospitality is a science, that can be delivered thru policies and procedures. It is more than that, hospitality is an art, no policy can describe it, the human factor in the hotel management is the one that can do. To be for real, below are specific instances that led me to think that this is the worst hotel:

1. We ordered food from room service for the Suhoor meal almost 1 hour before Fajr prayer call. It was delivered timely, and when I attempted to sign the bill, the guy asked me whether I have deposit in my account so that I can sign. What? Anyway, I answered that I paid the two full nights and I signed. We started eating, 5 minutes the door knocked again, and it was the same guy asking me go pay in cash because they found no deposit and that his manager sent him to collect the cash. I apologized and asserted that I'm not going to pay in cash and the manager can call me to explain; my signature should be enough. This is something that I have NEVER EVER experienced before. And if I accept to pay in cash, it was 30 minutes before Fajr, we just completed the Umrah, and I had no cash, am I expected to go down to the nearest ATM in the mall to draw cash and I come back? The manager did call me and explained that it was the hotel POLICY.

2. I wanted an internet connection, which is nowadays something for free in respected 5 start hotels. So, I called the reception to open a new connection and he asked me you are welcome in the reception to pay and get the password. What? I asked him how come I need to come down to do that? Well, you got it right my dear reader, he said it was the hotel POLICY.

3. We got the connection password. Now guess what? The receptionist warned that I can't use it for more than one device. It can be used only for 1 device. What the heck? Of course! It was the hotel POLICY.

In conclusion, I can't describe this experience, but I will certainly never come back again. I think the hotel as a physical property is, again, something great. Its management is the issue.

Room Tip: We had a room with no view to the Haram, so those with the view are certainly better.
2  Thank NasserHumaid
almarwarayhaan50, Resident Manager at Al Marwa Rayhaan by Rotana-Makkah, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Dear Mr. Nasser,

With much regret, we have noted your dissatisfaction with regards to Room service and Internet connection. Please be assured that this valuable feedback has been shared with the concerns for their immediate action. Please accept our sincere apologies for any discomfort caused.

Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Hotel was inside the Al Abrait Complex which is a commercial centre . And which also has 5 more hotels within.

Rotana is closest to the entrance on the left side.

We had to take a lift to first reach the hotel reception / P11 floor from there a different lift would take us to the haram. From the lift exit to the King Abdul Aziz gate #1 was about 800 steps. Not so far though definitely not 200 mts as expected ... I am not complaining just noting the facts for fellow travellers.

Everything about the hotel was good. Very clean with spacious rooms. Tea coffee maker was a big advantage. Topped in each day generously. Complimentary water bottles daily too was very considerate.

Breakfast buffet was good though a bit routine . Similar dishes everyday although it did not matter. It is indeed sad to see wastage of food during breakfast by the guests , when one can always take small helpings . I think it is time the hotels in Makkah , at least , put up AYATS from the QURAN and SUNNAH mentioning the sins of Wasting food. If not in Makkah then where ??? I hope the hotels must overide the 5 star etiquettes as far as wasting food is concerned , at least in Makkah.

The staff were really co opreative. The concierge helped us( this was out of the way because hotel has no provisions in helping guests with short trips even for a price ) in arranging a car for the Saptco bus terminal. The hotel should have provisions for a drop off to close by places instead of guests being asked to fend for taxis on their own. Then what is customer service for ?
The travel desk was happy to take us to Jeddah or Medinah but refused point blank to take us to the Saptco bus terminal which was close and we were with a family hence needed transport...

Overall a very satisfying stay , Alham do lillah ...

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family