“Comfortable stay in Madaba”
Review of Grand Hotel Madaba

Grand Hotel Madaba
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Madaba
Kent
“Comfortable stay in Madaba”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at Best Western Grand Hotel in Madaba. Staff was helpful, beds were comfortable, shower was good (we were on the 1st floor), I am normally a light sleeper but I slept very well there. Yes you can hear the muezzin early morning - but that's the case anywhere in Jordan - and you can hear traffic but it wasn't bad at all. A/C worked fine, and they had nice toiletries in the bathroom and a good selection of teas, with a kettle in the room! That was a nice touch. It was also good to sit in the bar downstairs in the evening over a glass of local wine (they offer cocktails as well), and it's an easy walk into Madaba, a town itself that feels very comfortable and human-size. The person cleaning the room didn't replenish the tea selection on the 2nd day but that might be because we came back while she was still cleaning and we disrupted her work. The only real downside was that the quality of the breakfast was poor: vegetables had been cut up a long time ago, bread was dry and pastries were rock hard (the same pastries that were already hard the day before), coffee was good on the 2nd day but not on the 1st day when it was very watery. There is a lot of staff in the breakfast room but they didn't seem to know what to do. I am hoping that the hotel owner picks this up, as he might not be aware of it, and he was very nice to us - when we saw him we had only had 1 breakfast so I didn't say anything because I thought things would be better the next morning. This should be easily fixed in a town where fresh bread is available in every street, and that would make the Best Western Grand Hotel an even better place to stay. If we ever go back to Jordan, this hotel is definitely on our list as we felt very comfortable and relaxed there.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Samertwal, Owner at Grand Hotel Madaba, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Sir.

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve Specially Regarding our staff and their behavior at the breakfast. You are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 00962795702200.

Yours sincerely,

BEST WESTERN Grand Hotel Madaba

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and it was really a great experience. The Hotel was really clean and the staff were really friendly. The receptionist helped us a lot in what, how and where to go inside and out of Madaba as the location of the hotel was really centered and near everything.
Also, the beds were very comfortable and we truly felt like we are at home.
All in all, I would definitely repeat my visit to this wonderful hotel and I really recommend everyone to visit it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lia B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2014

The taxi ride from Queen Alia Airport shouldn't take more than 22JD. We arrived at the hotel late at night, to be greeted by attentive staff. Although the restaurant had closed, there are 2 good restaurants across the street (one that does take-away shawarma). The room was clean and inviting, and all amenities that were advertised were there. Breakfast had plenty of choices and was well-planned for travellers.

For the standards one would expect from a Best Western, this hotel met them. Madaba has enough to see for tourists, and has good connections to Amman.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jason H
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Checked in late one evening staying with my wife and 3 teenage boys for 3 nights. We had 2 rooms a triple and a double. There are a few dedicated parking spaces to the left of the hotel and a few more directly outside the front. These were all full when we arrived and we parked on the main street which seemed fairly safe.
First impressions of the hotel inside were good as the lobby and restaurant near the entrance looked nice.
On entering the room however I was somewhat disappointed at the state of the room considering it is classed as 4 star. After turning on the light I noticed the adjacent plug sockets had paint on them from when the room had been painted as if no care had been taken.
On entering the bathroom the door had a very loud creak and there were large gaps in the door edging and floor, the shower also looked poorly maintained.
As we were all tired we went straight to bed to get some sleep - or so I thought. Our room was on the street side and there was lots of noise from cars beeping, music and people shouting so it was early hours of the morning when I drifted off to sleep only to be awoken by howling dogs from a roof opposite around 6am. I was so hacked off I decided if I could not get a room on the other side of the hotel I would check out.
After breakfast which was decent with a good selection I went to reception and asked to change rooms for a pool side one, fortunately the lady receptionist was helpful and said one was available and was told this would be ready later.
The new room was much better both in decor and noise level and I slept much better, however there were still some maintenance issues such as the bathroom door was very hard to lock and the main door would only close if it was slammed.
The pool was not open when we were there a sign said it would open in May but even then the pool closes at 5pm, the pool area is nice however.
The hotel is about a 15 min walk to the centre, we asked for a local map at reception but they had none and the only leaflet they had was in Italian.
WiFi is free and fairly stable, you are limited to 1gb which is suitable for most peoples needs but as I needed to listen to a football match from the UK one evening and had to stream radio commentary it just about lasted.
In short expected much more from a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room pool side.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I stayed at Best Western Grand Hotel Madaba for a night while visiting Jordan in March. The room that I had was on the first floor, therefore I didn't have the problem with the water as many of my group members did. I guess there is a water shortage in Jordan so the water running is not as strong as we are used to. I got a basket of fruits as I entered the room which was also a special treatment. The spread of food for dinner and breakfast was great. Was certainly not used to the limited amount of drinking water being provided at the dining. But in a place like this, I could really understand. The room was comfortable, clean and quiet. I had a great stay, will certainly stay here again if I do get another chance to visit Amman.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elizabeth L
England, Arkansas
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I have spent 3 days in this lovely hotel and I would like to recommend everyone to stay in it. It is one of the best Hotels I have visited. The location is really good. The staff are very friendly. The hotel itself is really amazing and above all, you feel like you are at home.
The food is excellent and they offer really good Sheesha. The rooms are really clean and the beds are very comfortable. I really recommend it and I am sure that any tourist won't regret it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Lisa P
Samertwal, Owner at Grand Hotel Madaba, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 00962795702200.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Just abut the only smile we got out of the front desk staff was at check in, after that we're were hardly acknowledged at all when we went past.

The beds are rock hard. They are just a box with a. Thin layer of sponge on top to provide some sushi owning. My back ached after two nights here. This is definitely not a place that is conducive to a good nights sleep

The toilets have some sort of pump that whirs away for a couple of minutes after every flush.
The shower head is too low to stand under if you are over 6 foot tall and is so clogged up with lime scale that it doesn't work properly anyway. The tv is not tuned in to most of the channels.
We were on a non smoking floor but the whole corridor stunk of cigarette smoke.

There were probably only 6 or so rooms full. Consequently the restaurant was closed in the evenings. The neighbouring hotels have bog standard buffets, nothing v inspiring. There is a restaurant across the road, but we asked to eat there and were told they had a 'private party' so we couldn't go in. In the end we drove into town because it was raining so much we couldn't walk in.

The breakfast buffet was by far the worst we encountered in our travels around Jordan. All there was on offer was as selection of dips, mouldy bread and some ambiguous looking stew of some sort.

This may operate under auspice,a of best western, but it is independently run, and you can really tell. Don't let the association with a Big hotel chain fool you, it falls well below the standards you would expect.

It's about a 10 minute walk into town. There are lots of hotels in the town centre which are much better located for the things you want to see and also to access the selection of restaurants.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travellingbear44
Samertwal, Owner at Grand Hotel Madaba, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking from your time to review our hotel through Tripadvisor.com regarding your recent stay at our property.

Yours sincerely,

BEST WESTERN Grand Hotel Madaba
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madaba
Mosaic City Hotel
#8 of 12 in Madaba
Amman Airport Hotel
Amman Airport Hotel
#102 of 145 in Amman

Been to Grand Hotel Madaba? Share your experiences!