“Beautiful site but watch your back...”
Review of Jerash Ruins

Jerash Ruins
Book In Advance
More Info
$40.50*
and up
Private Jerash, Ajloun, and Umm Quais Full-Day...
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Jerash
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Jerash is absolutely amazing, but until security cleans it up, I cannot recommend anyone go there. From the moment you enter the parking lot, you're a target. Some random man from the street trying to charge you for parking, families that seem to be picnicking send their children over to beg you for money, and worst of all, we didn't enter some of the ruins because my husband saw some little boys with a kitchen knife speaking to a teenager. A teenager later came up to us trying to get us to enter the same ruin by repeating that there's a 'moving column.' Overall it showed a nasty side of Jordan that I'd really hoped not to see.

3  Thank Jessica W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,893)
All reviews
in 27 reviews
"south gate"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Whilst Jerash does not compare with such classic Roman sites as Pompeii or Herculaneum it is a site of some great worth and merit.

It does need a guide to make the site 'translate to the real life' of the day and we had a particularly knowledgeable and capable one. It would be easy to bypass the detailed sophistication of Roman life if you visit the site by yourself, but our guide made the site live and it took little imagination to consider life as it was in Roman times.

The individual parts of Jerash have been relatively well preserved and some of the sections are very impressive,

Well worth a visit if you are travelling in Jordan and visiting the main attractions there.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I was not prepared for the how impressive the vast ruins of Jerash are. Having been to numerous Roman sites, including Pompeii and Herculaneum, I expected to spend perhaps three hours here; we stayed for six. There are also some Byzantine mosaics among the ruined churches, in a style that shows the influence of Roman art. There is a small cafe inside the site, and a restaurant outside near the entrance. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes and clothing and to take enough water. A hat might also be a good idea.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

The well preserved structures gave a good sense of the grandeur of the place and the architecture skills of the Romans.I took a leisurely walk exploring the ruins and soaked in the atmosphere ,also admiring the wild flowers growing among the rocks' niches.A souvenir seller showed me one of the "movable" pillars which could withstand earhquake movement at the Temple of Artemis .

See more reviews
Reviewed March 14, 2014

This is my second visit to Jerash. Impressed last time I returned with my wife as part of our joint exploration of Jordan. In my opinion this is one of Jordan's must see sites. I understand this is not a World Heritage site in part because of the way it is treated during the Festival held at the site. This is a great pity because the site warrants greater visitation than it currently appears to receive. Much of the site remains to be excavated and extensive areas are beneath the adjacent town but what is visible leaves one in awe of the achievements of the Romans, not only as Engineers but also as Architects and Planners. With Palmyra and Apamea, both in Syria, currently out of the tourist orbit, Jerash is especially important and rewarding of a visit. we took a local guide with us from the tourist office. He was inexpensive and most informative allowing us to head off alone for further exploration at the end of his time. Sadly lack of funds appears to have led to closure of the associated Temple of Zeus Museum but there is so much to see and enjoy here that a visit to Jerash is as unmissable as one to Petra.