“Jerash - the second-most popular attraction in Jordan”
Review of Jerash Ruins

$106.25*
Private Jerash Half Day Tour from Dead Sea
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Jerash
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Checked out the ruins with a beautiful blue sky in the background! Recommend taking a water bottle and a cap with you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,710)

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We have seen Ephesus, Petra, the Roman Forum, ruins at Caesarea, the Roman ruins in Amman, and more, but seeing the ruins at Jerash tops the list. I had never really heard of Jerash until I had the opportunity to return to Jordan for a second visit. I have never seen such intact complete Roman ruins. It is truly unbelievable. My pictures do not do it justice. Be prepared to walk. Even in November, it was very hot, so bring a hat.

We saw some people, but not large tour groups until we started to leave about 4pm. There were small groups of people but mostly we were alone. We did not get a guide, perhaps we should have, but we had read our books and actually brought our book along to read as we walked. The entrance is spectacular and the colonnade is so complete that you can imagine what it must have been like. If you have the chance, this is one place you should not miss. We hired a car and driver from our hotel.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is one of the best preserved roman cities I have ever seen and that includes anything in Italy. We had a private guided tour which was very informative. The site is huge and most of it is still to be excavated. You can easily see how much has had to be dug away to get down to the roman street level. There are a couple of very well preserved theaters called the north and south along with temples, churches, shops and a huge fountain in the middle of the colonnaded street which is lined with columns. Before you get to Hadrian's arch which is the main gate to the city you will pass the hippodrome which I thought was very well preserved you can stand in the middle and imagine the chariot racing or gladiators dueling all around you and talking of chariots on the main colonnaded street you can see the chariot wheel marks on the original road surface that you are walking along. I had only mentioned a small fraction of what you can expect to see in Jarash. The Oval plaza is quite spectacular too. this is an amazing site and well worth the trip from Amman.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We have been to Ephesus (Turkey), Pompei (Italy), Roman ruins and even compared to these well-known sites, Jerash is very well preserved. Note that the twice a day shows have been cancelled after the unjustified slump in tourism. Only wish is that it would be added as a WHS (which apparently has not happened yet, because the King does not want to do away with the annual festival being held there)

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I must admit I had never heard of Jerash until I started to do a bit of research after deciding to visit Jordan but after reading a bit I wanted ensure we included this in our itinerary and am very glad we did,

The entry to the site through the Roman arch is spectacular and the rest of the site almost as good. It is easy to imagine a the thriving Roman city it would have been 2000 years ago as you wander down the cobblestoned main still showing the grooves left by chariot wheels. I was really surprised how intact the site is with many columns and several building still standing, (I was imaging piles of stones). Because the site is large you don't get jostled by other tourists, (unlike Pompeii) and you can clamber around through the ruins to your hearts content. We hired a guide and spent over 2 hrs there. For the 15 JOD we thought it was good value as he was able to fill in much of the background info and answer all our questions. Thoroughly recommended ...