“amazing......wonderful.....just fantastic really.....”

90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 189 helpful votes
“amazing......wonderful.....just fantastic really.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Jordan was the last place to visit on a month long trip. We were feeling exhausted, but decided the two things we had to see was The Dead Sea and Jerash.....my husband spend the evening reading up on it. It was originally called Gerasa, which means in Greece, I have gotten old...which comes from the time of Alexander the Great. He left his older soldiers here, while he went with his younger soldiers to Persia. Can you tell my husband is Greek. Our taxi driver, Jacob, dropped us off with Micky, a young lady we had met at The Botique Hotel in Amman and Hani the Receptions just gets people to travel together to save costs...fantastic idea.....anyway we said good bye to Jacob and he said he would pick us up in two hours...but once we saw how huge the ruins were we realised we were going to be a bit late. Its an absolutely amazing stroll through the most wonderful ruins...you could just close your eyes and imagine how it was. We visited in Feburary, so the weather was just perfect for strolling...in the end we managed to do it in 2 1/2 hours...but once we got back to the entrace, we found Jacob having coffee in the coffee bar....absolutely no stress....We only paid 12JD return each, which was 36JD for the 3 of us..of course Jacob would prefer to have 4 in his car....but we were there out of season..so was he very happy and so were we.

Visited February 2013

• Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Definitely worth a trip from Amman to see Jerash ruins”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I booked my trip with the hotel due to lack of time to organise it myself ... Otherwise you can easily use a public transport. Left hotel at 0900 on Sunday morning and got there at 0950. Spent two hours looking at ruins. Bearing in mind I was not using a guide and would only stock to take pictures. If you are thinking to hire a guide then you could easily spend 2.3-3 hours there. The site is bigger than some might think. It has two Roman theatres still in a good condition as well as a numerous other buildings and remains of ancient churches. I paid 50 JD for a trip to and from Amman Marriott which included a two hour wait. When I said to the taxi driver I might need more time he did not object and said I can enjoy myself and he will wait longer at no extra cost. Definitely do it

1 Thank Emil A
Geelong, Australia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Really impressive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

We visited Jerash as part of a tour and I was very impressed. It helped having a guide to show you around and keep the hagglers at bay at certain times. We saw the bagpipes band play in the amphitheater which was entertaining. The size of the place and the fact that there is still so much to uncover really amazed me.

London, United Kingdom
231 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 559 helpful votes
“Worth the visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

First Impressions: The well-preserved Hadrian's Gate greets the visitor to this ancient city of Jerash, which boasts an unbroken chain of occupation dating back to 6,500 years. Conquered by Rome, during which time it was known as Gerasa, it became one of Rome's ten cities of the Decapolis League.

PROS: The site is easy to reach. About an hour's drive (48 km) north of Amman along Hwy 35, it is an easy day trip from the capital city. I've seen numerous Roman ruins before; Jerash is perhaps the best-preserved provincial town outside of Rome itself. From Hadrian's Gate, the Oval Plaza, the hippodrome, Cardo highway, amphitheatre and mosaic-laden churches, you can still make out the details of an Arabian influence underneath their Graeco-Roman veneer. The city is so well preserved that the ancient drainage system still works! To appreciate the site, you will need a guide, a group of whom is "conveniently" huddled beside the ticket booth. (They are there to assist you, for a tip of course.) My personal guide, a history student, pointed out several POI's and their historical relevance.

CONS: The area is quite extensive and, unlike Petra, the entrance fee doesn't include a map. Neither does the entrance fee include the twice-daily hippodrome show which is sold separately.

Liked: The acoustic quality inside the amphitheatre was excellent. You can hear a whisper from a performer from anywhere you sit with such clarity and negligible white noise. I also enjoyed the hippodrome show which featured dozens of Roman "soldiers" in full battle armour in a display of Roman Legion battle tactics, a round of mock "fights to the death" between gladiators (where we, the audience, gave rousing cheers and the traditional thumbs down or up) as well as a chariot race.

Disliked: A lot of walking and hiking under the searing Jordanian sun

Tip: When exploring the ruins, wear sensible seasonal clothes and appropriate, comfortable and supportive footwear. Also, during the summer months, wear a hat and sunglasses. Lastly, keep a supply of fresh drinking water with you at all times (or else, the guide can point you towards the on-site restaurant at the end of your tour.)

Verdict: For a well-preserved Roman town, Jerash is an under-rated and under-publicized site. Well worth a visit.Recommended. Grade A.

Visited May 2012
3 Thank Eternal_Nomad_12
Merced, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“An absolute must see!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Having had the opportunity to see Roman ruins throughout Europe I was astounded by the site at Jerash! These ruins have one of the best preserved City Gates anywhere: Hadrian's Gate. The central plaza with intact columns, the partially preserved Temples, shops, broad Cardo, all are exceptional. Save plenty of time to wander as the site is large and there is much to see.

Visited February 2013