“OK”
Review of Liwan Hotel

Liwan Hotel
Ranked #61 of 149 Hotels in Amman
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My Wife and I stayed here in September 2008. The room was ok, the staff was nice. One thing I liked was meeting different people from other countries in the lobby. I do not know if they still do it, but they had a agreement with a Lebanese restaurant for 25 dollars a person. This was the best 25 dollar meal I ever had and I would say the same at 100 dollars a person. I wish I knew what the restaurant was so I could review it. there was enough food for 8 people and there was 2 of us. Driver was provided both to and from the restaurant. The price was good for the hotel. There is a cell phone shop across the street who provided a driver and vehicle for less than 100 a day, we went to Petra.

Room Tip: Ask about the Lebanese Restaurant dinner deal.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed at the Liwan for the second time this week (mid-July). I'm also confused by the differences in reviews...this is not at all a five-star tourist hotel, however, both my stays have been 'fair' to 'good' . The first time (May 2012), I shared a double room with my traveling companion. The bathroom and shower were huge, clean and comfortable, and the rest of the room was perfectly clean and very comfortable. The breakfast is simple and a bit lacking but adequate. It IS unfortunate that the Wifi is not free, and indeed quite pricey.
On this trip, the front desk could not find our reservation (our Jordanian colleague had made the reservation as he had on the previous trip), and we were offered two single rooms instead, at a significantly higher outlay of money (although the room prices overall are very reasonable) and told that the hotel was fully booked. We felt we had no choice as it was nearly 20:00. In addition, I had to ask twice to get towels, the shower was a bit dodgy (not 100% clean) and the AC in my companion's room was not cooling (during a heat wave in Amman). But still, other than that, the bathroom was clean, the bed was amazingly comfortable and the flat-screen TV on the wall very nice indeed.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Aravasouth_57
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Close to the alBakara Mall, this budget hotel is currently under renovation but still accepting guests. The room was slightly worn but clean. Some rooms are sadly close to a club with an all night band. Ask for a room away from music. The bathroom was clean with shampo and lsoap and shower gel provided. Wifi costs 1 JD per hour, very expensive by Jordanian standards. The dining was plentiful when groups were present. However, after a large left the selection of food provided was smaller.

The floors are strangely numbered in a hilarious way. Rooms numbered 100 and half of 300s are on floor one, more 300s on floor two, and the 200s on floor four. Check signs in elevator.

Tere are numerous stores in the area, including the mall. Lots of shoe and clothing shops. Safeway is just minutes away by taxi or a long walk.

A modest budget choice with a staff that seeks to help if possible.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near music/club.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank GreekProf
Reviewed February 9, 2012

We had to stay at this 'hotel' for 2 nights, the room was filthy, the bed looked liked the previous occupant had just left iyt, the food was awful, coffee (when availible) cold, the teabags were expected to make 2 cups, we had no hot water in the shower after 9pm
Theis place could really do with a revamp and a dam good clean
The locals just drop in for a smoke, they all wear their top coats as it is freezing in the place
I think if any bugs survived here, they moved out long ago, our rep was very sympathetic, but no use at all
The bed like concrete, the pillow a brick, all made for a very long night

Maybe there are 2 Liwan hotels in Amman, they seemed to have stayed in somewhere different

Room Tip: Find somwhere else
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank trip-traveller99
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I am confused by some of the previous reviews, it is as if there are two hotels with the same name. This was the worst hotel on our tour bt luckily we had only one night. The room was a good size but it was cold, the air con was blowing out cold air and the carpet was stained. Furnishings looked like they had been retrieved from a skip. The bathroom felt dirty. The spaces between the floor tiles was black, there were hairs in the bath and open shower bottles so it had clearly not been cleaned after the previous occupants. Plenty of hot water though. The sheet on my bed did not fit so by morning I was practically on the mattress. The valance had not been ironed - such an easy thing to do to improve the look of the room. Wi-fi was charged and only worked in the lobby area. On a positive note, they did set breakfast up early for us but the coffee as lukewarm which I didn't understand considering they had supposedly just made it.? The location is in a shopping area with a mall and supermarket nearby but no eateries.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Blackcat2
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Good hotel. We stayed one night and went to petra and then wadi rum then deas sea. Front desk service was OK and lobby was quite nice. Clean hotel with free breakfast.Near to seven circle. Lots of resturant , shoping malls are available. people are very friendly. hotel people are very suuportive. location is very good place but there is no signboard of this hotel. only you can find soft writting on the glass door. people will confuse because of signboard.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank bafgm
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights on our way back to the airport from Petra. Front desk service was OK and lobby was quite nice. Upstairs where the rooms are it's run down with worn carpet and it stinks of cigarette smoke, as do the rooms. They do not appear to have non smoking rooms as we requested. We moved to another room which quite frankly was not much better and it was quite dirty. I think in its day this was probably quite a nice hotel but there has been no maintenance for some time and it shows upstairs. Slept in our clothes with towels on the pillows as bedding looked dirty and smelt of curry!
Breakfast we skipped on and went to the shopping centre across the road a much better option. All in all a horrible hotel and the worst on our travels through the Middle East and Egypt.

Room Tip: Check the room first
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple