“Stayed on three separate days - room quality and service inconsistent”

Al-Fanar Palace Hotel
Ranked #46 of 152 Hotels in Amman
Reviewed January 11, 2014

On my recent trip to Amman, Jordan I stayed at the Al Fanar three times. The first time I had booked through my travel agent as I wanted to stay where my Exodus Trip was leaving from three days later. I was heading to Jerusalem for a couple of days and this allowed me to leave my luggage at the hotel and only take a day pack into Israel. (This all worked well and they provided free storage for my bag)

My first room was great, nice and clean, decent size and the bathroom was clean (although water pressure was poor).

My second room before my trip with Exodus was substantially worse, it wasn't as clean, it was smaller and the hot water didn't work (they came up and fixed it). In addition my key didn't work and I had to make three trips down to the reception area before it got fixed, the first time they told me I must be using it wrong but put it into the machine to try and fix it. The second time they did this again and the third time they finally came up and fixed the door and reprogrammed the key to match. This meant that at 2am when my room mate arrived (on a late flight) that her key didn't work and they did the same thing again for her. So the next morning my key no longer worked.

The third room on returning from the trip was terrible. The shower was a small square shower base with a filthy curtain around it, that blew into you as you were taking a shower, it was gross! In addition it didn't look like the bathroom had been given a proper clean for sometime. The door of the room didn't shut properly and I had to slam the door a number of time to get the lock to catch (not really nice at 2am in the morning). The key for the room also had to be inserted a number of times before it would open, sometimes it seemed it wasn't going to work and then on the 10th or so time the light finally turned green. In addition to this, returning at 2am in the morning to find that there was a plastic sheet on my bed that rattled (with a crunching plastic sound) every time I moved - so I ended up having to remove it (unfortunately waking my room mate while I doing this). (Not only uncomfortable but also noisy)

To catch a taxi downtown cost (using a meter taxi) 2.5 Dinar and the Rainbow Street 3 Dinar.

So I guess you could end up lucky and be in an okay room, or you could end up in the terrible room I had on my last night of my stay. Not sure it's worth the risk if there are other options.

Room Tip: I think the rooms on the higher floors are nicer but not too sure.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Beckstar8

Reviewed January 1, 2014

The Al-Fanar is used by many medium priced UK and European tour groups and it fulfills the basic mission of clean and safe accommodations, a decent breakfast, good wifi service and ok location. It is not expensive and is probably of decent value.

My only irritation was in leaving the hotel at 4:15 am for a 6:30 am flight. I had been asked to pay the night before which I did. However, the front desk clerk manager would not accept my word that I did not take anything from the mini bar and wanted to delay my trip while an inspection occurred. I left anyways not wish to wait ten minutes for someone to check to see if I took a can of soda this early in the morning.

I would score it at 3.5

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Stayed for 5 days in the hotel. Had a great time. Large rooms with 2 single beds.The rooms are clean and the staff are quite helpful. Good wifi service available in rooms. Washrooms were good with both hot and cold water options. TV with very less English channels. Breakfast is served but didnt try the food. Nothing much to complain other than the kettle was not available. Hotel is located along the main street so getting a transport (bus or taxi) isn't a problem. Nearest convenience store is located 5 mins away.

Room Tip: Not much "view" to be expected since the hotel is located in the middle of the town.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Enick_Kay
Reviewed November 28, 2013

This was the starting hotel for our tour around Jordan. We stayed here at both the start and end of our trip. Accommodation is basic, large room with 3 single beds, room was clean, internet access available in rooms (albeit intermittent), small tv with several english channels, shower was poor but adequate with weak water pressure, breakfast was ok with the majority of the food arabic (there was also toast, boiled eggs and cornflakes for the less adventurous).

As with most of Jordan, smoking is still prevalent indoors so the lobby is rather smoky. Hotel does not have a bar that serves alcohol however there is a liquor store 10mins walk down the road. Has a gym but I did not try it.

Hotel location isn't the greatest and is approximately 10km from Downtown Amman however this is only a 2-3 JD taxi ride (watch out for taxi drivers ripping you off. many did not have taxi meters and then tried to charge 10JD).

For a budget hotel, the accommodation was adequate for our needs.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Rooms good. Location poor. Breakfast okay, but more suited to arabic customers. Biggest draw back for business users is restricted internet. No downloads allowed. Gym is good but let down by grubby changing facilities. Clean hotel overall. 3 star maximum. Room service was poor. I asked for a boiled egg and he said they have no eggs - but you can have an omelette! Work that one out! Anyway, after explaining for 5 minutes or so, we agreed to disagree. several minutes later he phone me back and agreed that he could do a boiled egg but it would take an hour! I then argued it does not take I hour to boil an egg but 3 - 5minutes. He couldn't work that out so I gave up and ordered an omelette - which arrived in 15 minutes! I'm glad I didn't ask for the chicken!

Room Tip: Don't ask room service for a boiled egg.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed there twice in my recent trip.

Spent the first 3 nights in a small room. The shower area is small and the curtains are so short that the bathroom will get flooded every time after shower. Wonder how a bigger guy will be able to clean himself in such a small shower area. Given a bigger room the second time we were there which is definitely more decent.

However, dsefinitely not a modern hotel in my definition.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed here before and after a cycling trip around Jordan.
I expected to be in the same very basic accommodation I had stayed in on my last trip however I was pleasantly surprised.
Room 707 was clean and had clean linen. I heard the road all night (the road outside is virtually a dual carriageway) however it was only in the morning I realised I'd left the window open.
Room 636 was VAST. It had 2 seating areas and a massive flat screen. Similarly to before, the bed linen was spotless and it had hot water however there were a few hairs left in my shower/bath.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo