“Disgusting Restroom/Changing Facilities, Nice Pool and Beach Access”

Amman Tourist Beach
Book In Advance
More Info
$1,529.00*
and up
15-Day Jordan & Egypt tour Discovered By Felucca
Ranked #58 of 77 Tours in Amman
Reviewed July 11, 2017

Of course the Dead Sea itself is amazing, and minus a floating Cheetos bag this part of the beach was pretty clean. The facilities that you pay for are what leave a lot to be desired. For 20 JD, I'd expect better. The swimming pools were nice, but the tables and chairs were dirty and lots of trash laying around. The fact that you have to pay to rent a towel was ridiculous given the pricey entrance fee, and the worker was rude and tried giving us change in USD?

Also, let's talk about the bathrooms and changing rooms! Given that the pool and resort were so nice, I was appalled at the bathrooms. There was a woman working but she just sat on the phone. Meanwhile, 4 of the 5 showers didn't work, the 1 that did was disgusting, the changing rooms were pitch dark and the locks on the doors didn't work. The lighting was abysmal in the rest of the area and the shower water smelled like sewage. They really need to put some money in to their changing facilities if they expect to have visitors return.

Date of experience: July 2017
2  Thank Michelle W
All reviews
"plastic chairs"
in 5 reviews
"towel hire"
in 3 reviews
"changing rooms and showers"
"comfortable temperature"
"solo traveller"
"tour group"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed June 5, 2017

Our driver drove us about 1 hour from Amman city but we had a short stop along the way. We paid 20 Jordan dollars currency cash each. We had to bring our own towels from our hotel we were staying in. We used the changing rooms which were adequate but the floor was wet. There were some sandy steps down to the beach which we carefully walked down to. There were plastic chairs on the beach. It was fascinating to see the lines of salt ridges at the shoreline. Some edges looked sharp so we carefully walked into the beautiful crystal clear, warm sea.
Our driver recommended us to only stay each time in the water for 10-15 minutes. We did this three times and it had an incredible, invigorating effect on our skin. One time I got some salt in my eyes but came out and quickly rinsed with bottled water.
It is wonderful that there is very litter litter floating but there were a few plastic lids along the beach. There were two other ladies in the water but otherwise we were the only ones. Maybe it gets busier at other times of the year.
When we came out we walked back up the steps and were able to use the Swimming pool. This was great for cooling ourselves down.
I thoroughly enjoyed this experience and would recommend to anyone, especially if you have any health issues.

Date of experience: June 2017
6  Thank 88Georgina
Reviewed June 3, 2017

The Amman Tourist Beach Resort is a bit run down, pretty average in quality, but the experience of floating in the Dead Sea is a must for all bucket lists! I can only imagine it's what floating in space must feel like?

Date of experience: June 2017
1  Thank Troy B
Reviewed May 22, 2017

Disclaimer - I visited Amman Beach on my own. If I'd gone with my friend (which was the original plan), we would have likely ponied up for one of the more ritzy hotel beaches and downed fru-fru cocktails while we booked spa treatments.

BUT for just me, the priorities were a little different, and I have to say that Amman Beach totally came through in spades.

My friend (you know, the one who was supposed to go with me but ended up having to work) has a terrific employer who got me connected with a driver for the day who got me into the Beach for 25JD total that included beach access plus the lunch buffet, plus lunch and free drinks for him. Win for both of us as the unbundled price is much higher.

I decided to eat lunch first, since we'd already been out and about touring other sites all morning. I'm an experienced solo traveller, so I never mind eating alone. Actually, sometimes it's preferable! But I ended up getting waved over by a super nice Aussie couple who just couldn't stand the thought of me eating alone and had a delightful conversation with them. He's a pastry chef, I'm a pastry eater. She's a hairdresser, so we shared knowing looks and forgiving smiles regarding both of our naturally curly beach-frizzed mops. I've been to Australia so we had plenty to talk about, although the most fun we had was comparing notes on what the 2016 US Presidential Election looked like on their news compared with what Actually Happened.

After that I was ready to test my floating capacity!!! The changing rooms were basic, but clean enough. I've definitely seen worse, and for the bargain price, I wasn't expecting much. I rented my towel (5 JD, with a 3.5 JD refund upon return) and headed down to the beach!

I was glad I had my flip-flops, as I had been warned that the sand can be quite hot, and the entry into the Sea a little iffy for bare feet. The walk down from the resort area to the beach is considerable at this location, so you definitely want shoes just for that.

And the floating? Yup. It's real. I felt like my own little boat, and it took some coordination to get the hang of letting my legs float up, turning over, etc. I was glad the beach was pretty deserted because I imaging my flailing was, um, memorable. I kept thinking of my 13-year-old son's warning before I left on this trip "You know, Mom, people have died because they put their face in the water at the Dead Sea. Don't put your face in."

Not so easy to avoid when you're floundering around trying to find your balance as your entire body bobs like a popped champagne cork.

But I loved it. And I survived. And I Will Never Forget That Feeling.

After the beach I hiked back up the steps to the resort, showered off and cooled down in one of the pools (there are two).

Note for female travelers. I saw a wide range of women's bathing attire ranging from fully covered local dress to bikini-clad foreigners. I would recommend you just wear what you're comfortable in.

I highly recommend this beach for those traveling on a budget, or those just unimpressed with bells and whistles.

Amman Beach totally comes through on everything that matters!

Date of experience: May 2017