“Easy access to the Dead Sea: Two bits of advice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 67 Tours in Amman
Fremantle
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Easy access to the Dead Sea: Two bits of advice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were not staying at a local resort so I was anxious about how we would get changed or showered after our salty experience. Amman Tourist Beach was ideal. There were lockers and changing facilities available (with deposit) and a walk down quite a few steps to the beach. We took a newspaper with us so we could enhance our photograph - reading the paper while floating. An amazing feeling and well worth it. We had a quick swim in the clean pool at the top afterwards.

Two pieces of advice. Take money down to the beach to buy the mud - we had to climb back up the steps again to our locker to get it. Don't put the mud too close to your eyes. You are encouraged to wash the mud off in the sea but if you get it in your eyes it really stings. One guy near us had to be led from the water as he couldn't open his eyes.

Do the mud thing. It makes a great photo! Just work out who is going to take the photos before you all get covered. We took it in turns to float and snap pics.

The buffet lunch was good with a large variety of salads and desserts.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank IntrepidAussie09

• Polish first
Saint Joseph, Missouri
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Must do”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Visited in March and the beach was almost free of tourists. Great compromise between the free public beach and entering through a hotel (50JD). We paid 16JD each and didn't feel stared at in our bathing suits. There was also a large pool, changing area, lockers, showers, gift shop, and concessions. The only con is that you could pay for the mud but there wasn't any on the beach. Also don't expect picturesque tropical paradise beach scene. Bring a blanket if you want to sit on the beach.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Radrian
Geelong, Australia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“What an experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Coming from Australia it seems so foreign to have to pay to go to the beach but this seems the norm in this area. On the dead sea on the Jordan side you have the choice of staying the night and thus accessing the water or using one of the day hotels. We chose the latter and had a buffet lunch, hired towels, used their cold showers afterwards. The dead sea itself was phenomenal. I can't explain what it's like to not be able to sink. We pasted ourselves in the rejuvenating mud too. Not sure how effective it was but it was fun. Be warned you can't stay in the water too long as the salt begins to sting. Make sure you dip your finger on for a taste!

Saonara, Italy
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Floating in the dead sea”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is the reason to come here, the experience of floating in the Dead Sea is really amazing and funny, just be careful that the water doesn't get in your eyes or you'll cry and a lot.
We went here in a cold december but the water was pleasant for a swim.
The Amman Beach is a cheap resort, so you won't have a wonderful beach (but it's clean), you don't have luxury changing rooms or showers, the lockers.. don't lock.. but it's quite cheap, so if you don't mind, or you're on a budget, you won't be too much disappointed.
The mud is available for a small fee near the beach.

Visited December 2012
Charlotte, NC
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Crappy Beach”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

I was pretty excited to check out the Dead Sea as I'd heard all of these great things abou the healing properties the thick salt-water holding your body afloat. I took a day trip from Amman to Jerash and then to the Dead Sea. The taxi driver recommended Amman Beach because it was the cheapest to get into. It was 16 Dinars which meant it was over $20. Not so cheap. It was a TINY beach and was fenced on both sides so there was nowhere to walk, which is one of the things I like to do at the beach. It was in the low 70s and the women were pretty covered up so I figured whipping out my little bikini would attract too much attention and I would have been a little chilly, anyway. The sand wasn't very nice but the water looked pretty nice and was warm. It was fun to watch people floating in fun positions from the salt water. Others covered themselves in black mud. One could see Israel on the other side of the sea. My friend and I didn't stay more than hour because we got bored. I'm sure other beaches at the Dead Sea would have been nicer and much more worthwhile. This one was just tiny.

There are also a TON of tourist stores on the highways all around Jordan selling Dead Sea products. They are very expensive and I can order Dead Sea products in the U.S. for less. Shampoo was over $10, bath salts were over $10, facial moisturizers and masks could be over $50. It was ludicrous. Funny enough, the cheapest Dead Sea products I found were at Amman Airport of all places! It was 25%-50% of the prices that I saw in multiple other tourist shops around Jordan.

Visited December 2012