“Read through to avoid disappointment”
Review of Dana Plaza Hotel

Dana Plaza Hotel
Ranked #105 of 144 Hotels in Amman
Wroclaw, Poland
“Read through to avoid disappointment”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I always tend to refrain with providing negative feedback, but this facility deserves that.

We have arrived in the middle of the night - hotel was aware of that fact, but we had knocked the hotel's entrance for a good 5 min, before half-slept doorman opened up the door.

The receptionist had trouble to say anything in English, thanks God, that he was a bit better in German.

Another problem was at the swimming pool. The cleaning guy tried to persuade us in rude way, what's more in sign language since was unable to say it in English that splashing water out of pool during *normal* swimming is prohibited (his duty was to mop splashed water - so he wanted to reduce his workload that way).

Nobody informed us that swimming pool was additionally paid (!) and we were charged during check out (price was quite steep and in my opinion arbitrary, we were not presented an official price list anyway and we didn't argue to much since we were in a rush going to the Airport).

Hotel's entrance foyer and building look ok, but this is just semblance.

Generally rooms were far below average of such kind hotels - shabby-looking, stifling and not very comfy. You could smell cigarettes everywhere, even in non smoking rooms.

Breakfast was not too sumptuous, and its taste was questionable. This is definitely not Arabic style of breakfast. We ate a whole lot better in many places in Amman.

Open Wi-Fi in the hotel's lobby was the best thing during the stay.

My personal advice stay away from this hotel if you can...there are plenty of hotels in Amman that you can stay in better conditions.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank wodzik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2011

Stayed here for 1 night, avoid room 502, the flush was not working so had difficulty. This is a better part of Amman location wise, not in old city. No Wifi.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Paulmat555
Israel
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed here one night at the end of July 2011 when on business in Amman. Late at night, the mechanism to flush the toilet came apart and I called the front desk. Someone came up promptly and fixed it quickly. The room was quite comfortable and well furnished. Breakfast early morning was good but not amazing. I would definitely stay here again. As far as location, friends picked us up, so that wasn't an issue. However, the hotel is located on an extremely busy street with practically no place to stop,and we had to run out and jump in the car in a bit of a panic!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Aravasouth_57
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed June 21, 2011

This a run down hotel that is quite expensive for what you get. Food at the restaurant (including breakfast) is not very good. Rooms are ok, but bathroom need a major make-over.
The hotel is in front of a highway, and you get some of the noise.

Although the restaurant /breakfast area is non smoking, it is not enforced and thus plenty of smoke in this area.
The lady at the front desk is indeed not terribly nice.

There are many hotels where you'll get better service and better room. Delmon suites for instance is much better value for money. If 5 stars is your thing, Kempinski is very nice, but more expensive.

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank strawberita

Travelers are raving about these Amman hotels

Budapest
Reviewed October 23, 2010

I kicked myself for not reading tripadvisor reviews before booking - generally the reviews on this hotel are spot on, unfortunately.

The Negatives:
1) This hotel is not in the center of the city. It is right on the main drag that leads into the center, which must be 4 kilometers away at least.
2) It is right on a busy highway...literally.
3) The first impressions when you step into the hotel lobby are pretty ghastly, depressing and I hate to say it but 3rd world.
4) The female blond receptionist, although she tried to supress it, had an arrogant attitude. She answered my questions with a forced smile, but nothing more.
5) No information about tours available. She offered me only a driver for a huge amount of money, when she saw I wasn't biting, then I received a total loss of interest. Offer other suggestions, like bus or day tour packages? Not likely.
6) The taxi I booked back to the airport cost 10 euro more than the one from the airport, again through the same receptionist. I had to ask for the receipt or I wouldn't have got it - clearly a rip off, but at that stage I didn't care I just wanted out.
7) The spa. They had no pricelist of treatments available - although there was one in the room, however the prices they quoted me in the spa were not what were publicised in the room - of course.

Positives
1) The room was fine, and the bed comfortable. It wasn't spotlessly clean, but ok. It's also well insulated, which means that whilst the windows cannot be open, you can't hear the sound of the highway.
2) The breakfast is edible and enough to fill you up. Don't expect much, but I suppose it could be worse.
3) Generally the rest of the staff were very friendly and had a positive attitude - particularly the housekeeping.
4) There is an upmarket shopping centre and some nice shops on the other side of the highway.

For the hotel management:
1) You are advertising this hotel as a city centre location, you are not.
2) Your lobby needs a redesign.
3) Your blond receptionist shouldn't be in the front line of the customers, she clearly gets irritated by them.
4) You are losing a huge amount of business and not serving your customers by not offering reasonably priced tours or just information (i.e affordable trips around the city, Jerash, Dead Sea, Petra etc). There should be a tour desk or information and tours promoted. I came to Jordan as a tourist on my own - unfortunately I would only advise others to pre-book a package, the infrastructure is simply not there.
5) How about having a pricelist of treatments available in your spa - a poster in the lift to promote them?
6) In fact how about listing all of your prices clearly? I got the feeling I was getting taken advantage of, and I was. I organised my own driver to Petra for 30% less than quoted by your hotel. You overcharged me on the taxi back to the airport. Yes you made a quick buck, but look at the damage this review will cause your business.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank fitnessmikekft
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 7, 2010

My travel agent says this is 4 star i think it is more like 2 stars or less. Place is really run down. Service does not exist and the food is just average (slightly below i would say). if u must stay here the following info might help you.

- They have wifi at lobby and in my room i manage to get wifi but i am not sure it is from the hotel the signal is weak.
- about 300m away is a shopping center with a carrefour express
- just next to it is a lot of fast food chains

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank puzhitao
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed January 28, 2010

my personal property was STOLEN in this hotel.. ! the manager admitted that he had my leather jacket in his possession ( I had left it hanging in the wardrobe!)

So it WAS found and he said it WAS there - but when I sent somebody to pick it up, they said they did not have it... and the manager WOULD NOT HELP and has since stopped communicating with me.

I can only assume that they are thieves...

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends