“Adequate hotel - good value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gondola Hotel and Suites

Gondola Hotel and Suites
Ranked #60 of 148 Hotels in Amman
Oslo, Norway
“Adequate hotel - good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2009

Booked 6 nights directly through the hotel. Stayed there from late Dec, to early Jan. The rate was 50 USD per night, plus 22% tax (this is always excluded on reservations regarding hotels in Jordan, and added upon check-out). Still, the total room rate totalled to around 44 JOD per night, which is a good value for Jordan.

The hotel is located very close to the 5th circle, it's located in a quiet residential area. The Four Seasons Hotel is about 200 metres away. There is also a small convenience store located 100 metres from the hotel. There is, however, nothing else of interest nearby. But taxis are cheap and plentiful in Amman, so going downtown or to City Mall/Mecca Mall won't take more than 6-7 minutes.

We arrived late at night, but were quickly assigned to a room on the 2nd floor. The room was large and spacious, but rather spartan. But this wasn't a problem for me, as the price paid compensated it. Everything was in working order, except the heater. The room was little too cold, and called the reception twice before they managed to fix it. The TV-set were connected to a satelite, so there were more channels to choose from in this hotel than in the Four Seasons! There were also a large (and empty) fridge in the room, which was very convenient. You can stock up to a fragment of the price paid when using hotel minibars. The two twinbeds were little hard, but just okey to enable a good nights sleep. The bathroom were okey too, everything in working order. The water pressure and hot water were excellent. No problems here either. The soap and shampoo provided were of poor quality though, but you can easily get your own from Carrefour.

Did not eat in the hotel, so can not provide information about the restaurant. It was always empty, as far as I could see.

The service was adequate, the staff were quiet and not imposing. I did not interact much with them, as I know Amman and my way around very well.

Some tips: check your bill carefully when checking out. The price quoted were higher than the price confirmed on my reservation. This was easily solved when I showed my confirmation to the receptionist - so bring a printed copy of your reservation confirmation.

There is wifi in the rooms, but I did not use it, as you have to pay to use it. You can, however, use free wifi in City Mall.

Upon depature to the airport I asked the reception if they could call a regular cab for me. I was told that this was impossible, as they could only call the one and only company they had a transportation agreement with. "Their" transportation company charges 28 JOD to take you to the airport. This is just [--]! I ventured out of the hotel, and grabbed a regular cab from the street outside. I paid 18 JOD, which is the normal price when going from the city to the airport.

Will return to this hotel on future trips to Amman, as long as the room rates stays low. I would not pay more than 60-70 USD per night though. But at 50 USD per night it is a good value! It's not a luxury retreat, but a adequate and comfortable hotel for the low price paid.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skrosvik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Burnsville, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2008

What a great place. We only needed one night in Amman to fly to Dubai the next day and it worked out great. For less than $100 we got a kitchen with a living room, cable tv, and wi-fi internet in the room (it wasn't working in our room while we were there but they are working on it), well the looby for us. The bathrooms weren't very modern but we had hot showers. The location is in a very quiet area and the staff is very helpful.

• Liked — The kitchen and the great price.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank ntfbball
New York, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2008

I booked on Expedia for $60 USD, but when I checked out, the hotel was charging us in JOD. The bill was $46.860 JOD ($68 USD) + 15% Tax and Service Fee, total after converting turned out to be $89 USD!

In my opinion, this was a $60 room, not a $90 room. Expedia did say "Exclude tax and fee", but I didn't expect to be screwed by the hotel's exchange rate and 15% more.

So my advice on booking hotel in foreign country would be to do prepaid, then you would know exactly what you are paying. I did that when booking rooms at Movenpick and on otel.com. This was the one time I didn't.

As for the room itself, my room smelled strongly like cigarette smoke and an ash tray was on the nightstand. I called immediate and pointed out the smell and that I had booked a non-smoking room on Expedia. The manager replied “It is a non-smoking room, but you can smoke if you like." After a few minutes and failing to convey the issue, we just opened the window and let it air out. That worked fine.

No safe box as expected, king size bed was two beds put together with sunken middle (weak springs?), flooded shower and faucet that splashed water all over outside of the sink. For all this, I wasn’t happy with the price I ended up paying.

• Liked — Good for just to spend one night
  • Disliked — Room rate not as expected
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lprisr
Kingston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2008

When I was in Egypt, I stayed in hostels that were really nice.
Jordan is a different story. We stayed at one by 1st circle, and I didn't want to go back. So, based on reviews I found on Tripadvisor here, I reserved a night at the Gondola.
Very inexpensive for what you receive, plus, I e-mailed my concern about appropriate heat and they had an extra electric heater in the room waiting for us. Also, shuttle to the airport, 15 dinar extra, about every 1/2 hour in the morning.
As far as location, it's in a great location. Safe, quite neighborhood, with a great restaurant nearby and a new Greek Orthodox Church within walking distance (cool). Amman is a huge city - there is no hotel that's going to be 'close to everything' there. But if you want the Roman ruins, take a local bus or taxi - they are all by 1st circle. This hotel is by 5th circle - a few miles from the ruins.
We picked up a licenced guide hanging around the ruins who took us up to the citadal and later on to Jerash, using public bus.
I forget how much, but it was very reasonable for a full day (I'm guessing maybe 80 dinar that 2 of us split).
Restaurant: Fantastic place near the Gondola called Fame. Very economical for what you receive, and very nicely decorated.

• Liked — No morons on spring break there.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sicarri
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2007

I had a nice experience at this hotel. The staff is very professional and polite. The room is clean, modern and spacious. However the location is not great if you're here to visit Amman. But for an overnight to catch your plane the next day, I definitely recommand this spot.

• Liked — Cleanliness, Friendly staff, Nice room
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2007

I showed up at the Gondola at 4am after walking from the 6th circle where the airport bus dropped me off. It was the first place I saw as I heading toward the center of town that looked affordable. The room was basic but comfortable, the staff was friendly and cooperative. They even dropped the room price from $50 to $30 when I checked out at 9am or so because I was there such a short time. I would not have even thought of that. Not so close to the center of town, but a good place to overnight. They have a computer for internet, they serve breakfast for a minimal price, and they have a driver to bring you to the airport or wherever.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled solo