“Basic Room, Surprising Exchange Rate”

Gondola Hotel and Suites
Ranked #64 of 142 Hotels in Amman
New York, NY
“Basic Room, Surprising Exchange Rate”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2008

I booked on Expedia for $60 USD, but when I checked out, the hotel was charging us in JOD. The bill was $46.860 JOD ($68 USD) + 15% Tax and Service Fee, total after converting turned out to be $89 USD!

In my opinion, this was a $60 room, not a $90 room. Expedia did say "Exclude tax and fee", but I didn't expect to be screwed by the hotel's exchange rate and 15% more.

So my advice on booking hotel in foreign country would be to do prepaid, then you would know exactly what you are paying. I did that when booking rooms at Movenpick and on otel.com. This was the one time I didn't.

As for the room itself, my room smelled strongly like cigarette smoke and an ash tray was on the nightstand. I called immediate and pointed out the smell and that I had booked a non-smoking room on Expedia. The manager replied “It is a non-smoking room, but you can smoke if you like." After a few minutes and failing to convey the issue, we just opened the window and let it air out. That worked fine.

No safe box as expected, king size bed was two beds put together with sunken middle (weak springs?), flooded shower and faucet that splashed water all over outside of the sink. For all this, I wasn’t happy with the price I ended up paying.

• Liked — Good for just to spend one night
  • Disliked — Room rate not as expected
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lprisr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Kingston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2008

When I was in Egypt, I stayed in hostels that were really nice.
Jordan is a different story. We stayed at one by 1st circle, and I didn't want to go back. So, based on reviews I found on Tripadvisor here, I reserved a night at the Gondola.
Very inexpensive for what you receive, plus, I e-mailed my concern about appropriate heat and they had an extra electric heater in the room waiting for us. Also, shuttle to the airport, 15 dinar extra, about every 1/2 hour in the morning.
As far as location, it's in a great location. Safe, quite neighborhood, with a great restaurant nearby and a new Greek Orthodox Church within walking distance (cool). Amman is a huge city - there is no hotel that's going to be 'close to everything' there. But if you want the Roman ruins, take a local bus or taxi - they are all by 1st circle. This hotel is by 5th circle - a few miles from the ruins.
We picked up a licenced guide hanging around the ruins who took us up to the citadal and later on to Jerash, using public bus.
I forget how much, but it was very reasonable for a full day (I'm guessing maybe 80 dinar that 2 of us split).
Restaurant: Fantastic place near the Gondola called Fame. Very economical for what you receive, and very nicely decorated.

• Liked — No morons on spring break there.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sicarri
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2007

I had a nice experience at this hotel. The staff is very professional and polite. The room is clean, modern and spacious. However the location is not great if you're here to visit Amman. But for an overnight to catch your plane the next day, I definitely recommand this spot.

• Liked — Cleanliness, Friendly staff, Nice room
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2007

I showed up at the Gondola at 4am after walking from the 6th circle where the airport bus dropped me off. It was the first place I saw as I heading toward the center of town that looked affordable. The room was basic but comfortable, the staff was friendly and cooperative. They even dropped the room price from $50 to $30 when I checked out at 9am or so because I was there such a short time. I would not have even thought of that. Not so close to the center of town, but a good place to overnight. They have a computer for internet, they serve breakfast for a minimal price, and they have a driver to bring you to the airport or wherever.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled solo