“Good hotel BUT...!”

Kempinski Hotel Amman
Ranked #13 of 152 Hotels in Amman
Reviewed September 25, 2010

We stayed at this hotel at the start of our Jordan trip in early September. We only stayed 1 night. The hotel is really nice and affords a good room for the price. I will refrain from saying too much about the room cost since Jordan is expensive overall. We had one disappointing experience though-breakfast! The breakfast spread is moderate and does not compare with the profile of the hotel. I found the service staff lacked training. The spoons and plates had food stains on them. We never got a teaspoon by default at the table - always had to ask for teaspoons for your cup of tea or coffee. Language (English) was also a challenge.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 19, 2010

A great business hotel in the better part of Amman. We only stayed one night, but it was great. The food in the Italian restaurant on-site is excellent (although the portions are small). The service was great and the staff were very welcoming.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2010

This was our first time in Amman for business, so we had to go there during ramadan, which was not a lucky choice and maybe influenced the hotel service as well, I dont know.

We thought we are booked in a 5 star hotel but this was one of the worst 5 star hotel Ive been especially compared to other local 5 star hotels we have seen nearby. We almost moved to one but then it would have been too complicated. I think the worst was the service: very slow, hardly coming out to the pool to check if we need something (although due to the ramadan there was really only a few guests), very few spoke good English, some didnt speak English at all! At the reception they said different prices for the room at check-in than later, and were not too friendly in terms of helping out where to go, advising etc. They all seemed so confused! In general I think the staff hasnt received a proper training here which was quite annoying.

The hotel itself was very small! Looked much nicer and more spacious on the photos on their website. Compared to neighbouring hotels (we saw Le Meridien and Hyatt) this must have been like 10 times smaller.

The room was very small also but ok, although I think the main light was missing/not working we had only the night lamps. The view from the room was to a construction area, the whole neighbourhood is a construction area - very ugly. The beds are great though and the pillow and the douvet was fantastic, had pretty good sleep. The elevator is super fast and panorama, loved it. The breakfast was excellent, big variety and plenty of food. Again there was some communication problem due to staff not speaking English so my eggs came out a different version each morning (but I like surprises so it was ok :)).

I would add as positive the pub = the sport bar, it was really nice just empty. The restaurant was closed all the time so didnt even get the chance to try it! We got the breakfast at the edge of mezzanine floor, it was very narrow and a weird place to have a breakfast.

The outdoor swimming was ok but the water was way too hot for swimming! And there was NO swimming pool inside as we have read on the website! There was only a small pool seperate for men and women in their "spa", but that is not for swimming as its so tiny. When I asked about massage the guy who was there seemed confused and was unable to give me a proper guidance on the type of massages/prices etc.

Oh and the "business centre" was quite ridiculous! It was tiny, they had 3 computers, with two printers out of only one was working and you could print from only one computer... almost each time I sat down I had to change computer because another guest wanted to print.

So all in all I wouldnt recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2010

this was the second visit to kempinski, amman hotel and was as per my expectation, the hotel has all the needed fecilities and is situated in the middle of town with nice eating joints, walkable to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We were in this hotel for 7 nights and had a below average stay!

Some aspects of the hotel could be classified as 5 star (The business centre, function room, and restaurants were quite impressive). However, the room was NOT what I would expect from a 5 star hotel and left a lot to be desired. It was small, the view out the window was disgusting, the air conditioner was not functioning properly, and the furniture belonged to the last millennium.

The most disturbing thing of all was the cleanliness, or lack thereof. There were stains on the side of our toilet, which were not cleaned for the entire time we were at the hotel. Every time we'd walk into our room after it had been 'cleaned', we'd smell cigarette smoke in the air (even though we specifically said that we wanted a none smoking room). We thought that the room service staff smoked in our room whilst cleaning it. It felt like that staff just changed the towels, maybe the bed sheets and left the room. Not Impressed!

The security measures were extreme. We had to go through a metal detector every time we went into the hotel... That wouldn't be a problem, but even if the machine didn't beep, I still had to get inspected by the staff! I understand that they are trying to keep the hotel safe... However, they knew that we presented no threat to the hotel but insisted on checking our bags and violating our privacy every time we walked into the hotel.

One more thing... The hotel is supposed to be Family Friendly... We went to the pool area at 10am on Friday and were greeted with the loudest music we have ever heard in our lives... It was like walking into a blimmin night club at 10AM!!! There was alcohol flowing and a whole bunch of young people partying! Again... This wouldn't be a problem if there weren't families and infants in the pool trying to have a good time for a holiday they paid their hard earned cash for!!

It must be said though that the staff were friendly and attempted to make us feel welcome whenever possible. This hotel could be great if a few changes were to take place. Having said that, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone... It's over priced and offers a whole lot of nothing!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 20, 2010

It seems that this hotel is quite new. So there is no complaint about anything, the staff is nice, the rooms are big and bright, everything just works fine. Laundry was done in a world-record time. The bar is also fine and the rate was more than fair. Looks like you can choose this hotel anytime for business trips.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 16, 2010

The public areas were clean and bright, my room was very comfortable - I got an upgrade, and I paid a very good price for my 3 day stay. The hotel is particularly well located for me as I could walk to the office. The pool looked lovely but unfortunately I didn't have time to enjoy that. Facilities were very good - free high speed WiFi, excellent breakfast buffet, various different seating areas, including a nice bar with live classical piano.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Ganchev, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Amman, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2010

Dear Guest Stuut,

I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback following your recent stay with us.
I was glad to read that our hotel facilities and public areas exceeded your expectations.

Once again thank you for your visit and I look forward to the pleasure to welcoming you back in the future.

George Ganchev