“Very bad experience”

Ranked #88 of 145 Hotels in Amman
Geneva, Switzerland
“Very bad experience”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I am an experienced traveller and I have never written a bad review of a place I stayed. However Canary Hotel was a very unplesant experience, therefore I decided to write a review.

Firstly we got cheated on price. We made the booking by phone and although we have agreed on a price, when we did the check out we had the bad surprise to see that the bill was 25% higher then agreed. We were told that we had misunderstood the price, however this is out of the question, as we were quoted the same price by 3 different people, on 3 different occasions (by the taxi driver who works with the hotel, when reserving by phone, and upon arrival). When we were trying to explain this to the hotel personnel they became verbally aggressive. So our only choice to get out of this is to pay what they were asking for.
Secondly the hotel is quite dirty and dusty, on top there is construction work going so on the staircase you would have to pass through the work remnants to go to your room. Thirdly the location is quite far from the points of tourist interest, you will have difficulty to find a cab on the street. In the area there are no restaurants, the closest place to eat is a kebab place 10 minutes walk.Last but not least there are a very few travellers staying there so the place feels more like a haunted empty house. If you want to visit Amman there are definitely other better options.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelismypassion04

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Arabic first
South west uk
Reviewed July 6, 2012

It might be a little tatty around the edges but the price and kindness of the staff more than compensate Nothing is too much trouble for them..Quite location. Small shop next door. Large room comfortable beds and hot showers, (Well in the morning at least.) Simple breakfast of omlett, cheese, bread, jams and tea and coffee included in the price. Free wifi which is always a bonus. Hotel run a excellent day trip to the dead sea and areas around good value.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank travellinggirl53
Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed February 11, 2012

We were arriving late in Amman and leaving early the following morning so didn't want to spend a lot of money just for a bed.
Found the Canary Hotel in a guide book and decided to give it a try. We were driving and it was impossible to find, so we put the kids in a taxi and then followed it (the driver also found it hard to find but once he'd called and spoken to the hotel it was easy).
A house on a quiet street, not looking a bit like a hotel really. Inside it was pretty basic, a bit more like a hostel but clean enough. The rooms were fine, for the price we all thought it was excellent value as hotels in Jordan tend to be rather pricey.
The breakfast wasn't great by any standards but it didn't matter, at that price you don't expect more.

If you're in Amman and don't want to spend time in your hotel or money on it then this is a great spot.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I stayed at Canary Hotel for a week in January. The location was really the selling point for me, as I was in Amman to see people who live in that area (Jebel Webdeh). I have done quite a bit of budget travel in the Middle East (and had been to Amman before), so I had a basic idea of what to expect.

Honestly, everything has been said in previous reviews... they are all very accurate.

The rooms were clean, I never really doubted that. Except for some dust under the furniture, it was evident that they do take care of the rooms. They are old though, so there were stains on almost everything (towels, sheets, shower curtain). I was in college, this wasn't a shocker to me. There was also a TV, but I couldn't get it working in the 5 seconds that I spent trying. You're in Jordan... why would you be sitting in your room watching TV?

There were two beds in the room despite me only needing a single. Neither was too comfortable, but a bed is a bed. The pillows were also among the flimsiest I have come across, so I had to take the ones off the extra bed (making a total of 4) to be able to prop my head up at all. Whatever, easily remedied.

There were two actual negatives though.

1. Noise.
I don't know what was going on, but every night seemed like a party. There were groups of guests who were getting rowdy in their rooms and the noise just carried. I'm not sure if the staff said anything, but it did get a bit out of hand.

2. Cold.
Amman is absolutely freezing in the Winter (I was coming from the Gulf, so it was a shock to me). Considering the age of most of the buildings and the lack of decent insulation and you have yourself some frigid nights. The window in my room did not close flush, so I had to do some serious bundling up at night. They did have heaters in the rooms, but it just wasn't enough.

Positives:

1. Location.
Jebel Webdeh is a great area. It is removed from Downtown, so it is generally calm and quiet. At the same time, there is a decent amount going on. Paris Circle (Duar Paris) is just a 5-10 minute walk, and you can find restaurants and shops down there. You can also walk to the Downtown area, which takes 20ish minutes if you don't mind the hills.

2. Cost.
It is cheap!

3. The people.
The staff were always incredibly friendly. It is a very relaxed environment. I spent very little time in the hotel (I was in Amman to see people), but there were always people just hanging out in the front lobby/the tv area.

In general I would say that this is a standard budget hotel. If cost is a priority and luxury is not, the Canary is a solid option. Bring an extra sweatshirt though.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank greasy
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Not bad for a budget hotel, and recommended, but you have to assert yourself.... On the good side, the hotel is in a convenient location not far from Paris Circle, the Fine Arts Gallery and a great restaurant Canvass - plus the Abdullah Mosque and even Downtown - lots in walking distance. Very quiet location. Second, Sam, the desk clerk, was really wonderful and personable. He gave me great suggestions, directions, let me check-out late so I didn't have to lug my bags, arranged a cab to the airport and made sure that I didn't leave without breakfast or without a big bottle of water for the airport. Great service. However, on arrival the first day, I was put in a room that essentially had a broken wooden frame on the door - it would take only a good shove to break the lock. I was a woman travelling alone, and while the hotel felt safe enough, I didn't feel this was a good idea. On being switched, I was put in a smoking room although I asked for the non-smoking one. There, the bed linens appeared very raggedy, so it was hard to tell if they were actually clean (I think they were) and were really thin - not good covering for the chilly night. There was a funky smell in the bathroom (slight - maybe a sewage problem on site or mold), too. Lots of coming and going early in the morning past the door before 6am, but not hugely noticeable. Breakfast was Ok - plain omlette and some bread that was a bit stale, but lots of jams, cheese etc., nescafe - pretty simple, but outdoors on the terrace and brought to me. The inside eating area and lounge is a smoking area, and the floor does smell of it. So, not sure how to rate this entirely - it wasn't a bad experience, not the best, but the price was quite good at about 30.00 US for the night. If I wanted to save a dollar, I would probably go there again.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for alternate rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Why would a hotel that is nowhere near full allocate you a room that is uninhabitable due to the stench emanating from the bathroom?! Once moved we were reasonably happy with the bed (apart from the inadequate linen) and the bathroom, given what we were paying. Breakfast was adequate but the evening meal was poor and sparse - mind you, we didn't eat a lot better at a couple of local, recommended restaurants! Staff were friendly and helpful but the real gem was their driver, Jamil, who collected us, at no charge, from the airport and the next day took us on a brilliant tour of Amman, Madaba, Bethany, Mt Nebo and the Dead Sea for only 50JD and also gave us low cost rides to and from Petra - all the while giving us excellent info about the sites in good English.. Fine to stay here if you are not too "picky" and not for too long (3 nights was enough!).

• Stayed March 2011
Hostotipaquillo
Reviewed March 17, 2011

Let me start by saying that Sam, the host that works there, gets the award for the nicest Jordanian we met (well, almost - we met a lot of nice Jordanians!). We arrived mid-afternoon without cash and with one hour before the citadel (tourist attraction) closed. As we discussed how to get to an ATM, get a cab, and get to the citadel before closing he simply gave us a 20JD bill and said "go now, and pay me back tomorrow". Very cool.

As for the hotel, the rooms were pretty nasty. Good light, good air, and clean floors, but ALL of the blankets in our room were covered in cigarette burns and stains and the shower curtain had mold on it. I slept in my sleeping bag on the bed, though my family did not.

For 35JD for a quad-room, however, the price was tough to beat. Location is on a quite side-street... until the call to prayer at 430AM, but this is a fact of life in the ME.

In summary, of you're feeling low-maintenance and want to save a buck I actually recommend the Canary!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family