“Good place to stay if you want to save a dollar...”
Review of Canary Hotel

Canary Hotel
Canary Hotel
Ranked #89 of 148 Hotels in Amman
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Not bad for a budget hotel, and recommended, but you have to assert yourself.... On the good side, the hotel is in a convenient location not far from Paris Circle, the Fine Arts Gallery and a great restaurant Canvass - plus the Abdullah Mosque and even Downtown - lots in walking distance. Very quiet location. Second, Sam, the desk clerk, was really wonderful and personable. He gave me great suggestions, directions, let me check-out late so I didn't have to lug my bags, arranged a cab to the airport and made sure that I didn't leave without breakfast or without a big bottle of water for the airport. Great service. However, on arrival the first day, I was put in a room that essentially had a broken wooden frame on the door - it would take only a good shove to break the lock. I was a woman travelling alone, and while the hotel felt safe enough, I didn't feel this was a good idea. On being switched, I was put in a smoking room although I asked for the non-smoking one. There, the bed linens appeared very raggedy, so it was hard to tell if they were actually clean (I think they were) and were really thin - not good covering for the chilly night. There was a funky smell in the bathroom (slight - maybe a sewage problem on site or mold), too. Lots of coming and going early in the morning past the door before 6am, but not hugely noticeable. Breakfast was Ok - plain omlette and some bread that was a bit stale, but lots of jams, cheese etc., nescafe - pretty simple, but outdoors on the terrace and brought to me. The inside eating area and lounge is a smoking area, and the floor does smell of it. So, not sure how to rate this entirely - it wasn't a bad experience, not the best, but the price was quite good at about 30.00 US for the night. If I wanted to save a dollar, I would probably go there again.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for alternate rooms
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Canary Hotel

Reviewed March 30, 2011

Why would a hotel that is nowhere near full allocate you a room that is uninhabitable due to the stench emanating from the bathroom?! Once moved we were reasonably happy with the bed (apart from the inadequate linen) and the bathroom, given what we were paying. Breakfast was adequate but the evening meal was poor and sparse - mind you, we didn't eat a lot better at a couple of local, recommended restaurants! Staff were friendly and helpful but the real gem was their driver, Jamil, who collected us, at no charge, from the airport and the next day took us on a brilliant tour of Amman, Madaba, Bethany, Mt Nebo and the Dead Sea for only 50JD and also gave us low cost rides to and from Petra - all the while giving us excellent info about the sites in good English.. Fine to stay here if you are not too "picky" and not for too long (3 nights was enough!).

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed March 17, 2011

Let me start by saying that Sam, the host that works there, gets the award for the nicest Jordanian we met (well, almost - we met a lot of nice Jordanians!). We arrived mid-afternoon without cash and with one hour before the citadel (tourist attraction) closed. As we discussed how to get to an ATM, get a cab, and get to the citadel before closing he simply gave us a 20JD bill and said "go now, and pay me back tomorrow". Very cool.

As for the hotel, the rooms were pretty nasty. Good light, good air, and clean floors, but ALL of the blankets in our room were covered in cigarette burns and stains and the shower curtain had mold on it. I slept in my sleeping bag on the bed, though my family did not.

For 35JD for a quad-room, however, the price was tough to beat. Location is on a quite side-street... until the call to prayer at 430AM, but this is a fact of life in the ME.

In summary, of you're feeling low-maintenance and want to save a buck I actually recommend the Canary!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 7, 2010

We enjoyed staying at the Canary after asking to have the dirty blankets exchanged. Tile floors, clean rooms but a few details like cleaning on the sides of the water faucet and around door frames and electric switches could be improved.
Local friends who visited us shortly in the hotel lobby were impressed by the comparitively low prices.
If you turn left in the street outside and then turn right below the wall of the opposite school and then left in front of the modern looking minaret you can walk along a pleasant street all the way down to the Place de Paris (10 - 15 minutes from the Canary) . On your way there there are many shops selling bread, fruit, small minimarkets but also very posh shops selling clothes, Belgian chocolate etc and around Place de Paris there are fast food places, a fine supermarket and the restaurant Café de Paris where we had dinner twice and they have a combined book store and in the restaurant shelves with used books that you can swop with your own books. The street going down there has the feeling of a town within the street chaos of Amman where even the taxi drivers have a hard time to find their way.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2009

Rooms were clean, and bed was actually quite comfortable. However, ours had one of those non-fitted sheets that always comes off while sleeping. You do have to tell the staff to turn the heater in the room on, as it was quite cold the day we arrived. Only one towel for the bathroom? Staff overall were friendly and accomodating, and served a simple but pleasant breakfast. They do actually have a canary that sings throughout the day. Location was nice if you like it quiet, and was easy to grab a taxi nearby to go downtown (which only costs about 1JD).

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 24, 2009

$24 a double for a real nice room , in Jordan's Capital is difficult to find.. We found the staff here exceptional...we enjoyed their food [not fancy] ...they arrange lots of trips etc reliably... a few minutes walk to the long distance bus terminal is a bonus..they sell reasonably priced icy cold beer and allow you to consume in their comfy lounge areas. All in all, a lovely place to stay. {and they accept visa and mastercard ] !!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2009

I booked this hotel because I thought we would be taking the Jett bus from Petra and arriving at the Abdali bus station. The Canary is in the general area of the bus station. We changed our plans and arrived by private car, instead, so the location became inconvenient. It is in a quiet residential area, with nothing else around, and difficult to find. However, we liked our room, which was on the first floor, to our delight! It was a large room, sparsely furnished, but OK. It was lit by a single bulb hanging from the ceiling, but it turned out to be fine to read by. Dinner was mediocre, but there was nowhere else to eat. Breakfast was simple, but quiet adequate, and individually served. There is a large public area near the dining room with a TV and a computer, and we enjoyed mingling with the other guests. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple