“In renovated rooms, the lovliest stay!”
Review of Grand Hyatt Amman

Ranked #5 of 151 Hotels in Amman
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I stayed at the Amman Hyatt for approximately 6 weeks in April and May 2012. I had a lovely stay, and especially want to thank Mr. Nakhleh Sabanekh and Mr. Sharif Ayyoub , the front office managers, for helping to resolve some problems and being great managers! I found the Hyatt staff extremely professional and service-oriented.

My review is based on my stay on the 9th floor, which is also the Club floor, with a lounge for breakfast and early evening wine and hors d'oeuvres. My room had been beautifully renovated in a soothing palate: mauve glass tops the bedside tables and cabinet, and mint green, ivory and taupe accessories with Arabesque curvilinear designs complement each other. The room lighting is outstanding for work at the desk, or reading in a chair or in bed. My 9th floor room was maintained by Mr. Montaser Malkawi, who made sure I had fresh fruit and water and anything else I needed. He was very pleasant and detail-oriented, and cleaned thoroughly without disturbing anything.

(I was upgraded after staying in an un-renovated room on the 2nd floor for about 5 days when I first arrived: in the un-renovated room the lighting was poor, refurbishment long overdue, and housekeeping seriously lacking. In short, it was like being in a totally different hotel compared with my stay on the 9th floor. Sometimes when reading reviews on Trip Advisor, one wonders how people can have such different experiences in the same hotel—in the case of the Amman Hyatt—different floors, with different amenities and staff, made all the difference).

The breakfast buffet in the 32 North Restaurant has anything one could possibly want, fresh fruits, freshly baked breads and pastries, yogurt, and all things typical of a Middle Eastern breakfast as well as eggs, olives, cheese, fresh orange and carrot juices, etc. The breakfast in the Club lounge has a smaller variety, but it is very quiet, has the best coffee, great views and outstanding service. During my long stay I also ate often at the deli café, and the food was always very fresh. Room service was excellent and prompt.

Negatives: Smoking, including cigars, is allowed in the hotel lobby. I think the Hyatt should be leading the way in providing healthier, smoke-free premises.

Internet: I had free internet because of my platinum Passport status, and it worked perfectly for the first 3 weeks. However, after the hotel had a general outage of internet service, it was never as good. One person sent from the business center to help fix the problem was somewhat helpful, but the Hyatt IT people should have their own computers to assess and repair internet problems. The problem was not with my computer, and I needed to use my computer to work, not have it used by someone else to assess internet connection issues.)

More positives: Dry cleaning service was outstanding, and I would have brought fewer clothes had I known they would do such a nice job.

Location: there are commercial areas within easy walking distance. I recommend purchasing JO magazine in Souk Zara, in the hotel lobby, to find reviews of Amman restaurants, art exhibits and other news.

I was actually a bit sad to leave after 6 weeks, as the staff were kindly, and i felt quite at home.

Room Tip: Room 915 at the end of the hall was very quiet (unless you open the window) and has a nice view of t...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Theos_leftluggage
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Dear Theos_leftluggage,
Thank you for expressing your gratitude and satisfaction regarding your recent stay at the Grand Hyatt Amman. It is truly a pleasure to know that the hard work and commitment of our staff was instrumental in that success.
You may be assured that the staff will be commended for their efforts during your visit.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Assad Jubarah
Director of Rooms
Grand Hyatt Amman

Write a ReviewReviews (1,251)

Reviewed June 4, 2012

The overall quality for food and rooms were all good, they are generous.
Location is fine, Amman is small city anyway.
Bad service, they were fixing new rooms, they hardly stopped it for 1 hour. was extremely noisy. too much drilling and hammering!
The AC was really bad!

Room Tip: I stayed in 3rd floor non smoking, dont know the room name, probably Grand?
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Dear ElHelw-O,
Thank you for having taken the time to write your feedback about your recent stay with us.
In regards to the rooms renovation, please accept our sincere apologizes for any inconvenience or disappointment caused.
Grand Hyatt Amman is having its rooms renovated in a phased program that started in June 2011. Work started with our higher floors and is progressing to the lower floors, and we have completed renovation of all Grand Club Rooms, Executive Suites and Royal Suites. We anticipate minimum disruption to guests and the hotel will remain fully operational throughout the remaining renovation program.
We hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to Grand Hyatt Amman soon when we commit to displaying the true level of service we aspire to.
Assad Jubarah
Director of Rooms

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Indeed, it's not the 5 stars you're used to see in middle east, but at the end it's more than acceptable. My colleagues, on the contrary, asked to change their room, so it might have been lucky. OK,let's not be so picky... The hotel is nice, good service, nice location, good rooms...

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
GrandHyattAmmanHotel, Manager at Grand Hyatt Amman, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2012

Dear LumaCB,
Thank you for having taken the time and effort to write us your feedback.
I was delighted to learn that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and your kind comments are very much appreciated.
Your feedback is of tremendous value to all of us and your evaluation will form an important part of our ongoing program to continuously monitor the quality of our services and facilities.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Grand Hyatt Amman.
With best regards,

Reviewed May 27, 2012

Staff great and helpful. Had to wait 1 hour for room when we wanted to check in and were given free wi fi. Great location. Safe hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Anneliese3653

Dear Anneliese3653,
Thank you for having taken the time to write us your feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back with us at Grand Hyatt Amman.
With best regards,

Reviewed May 25, 2012

Stayed here recently for a few nights and thought it was okay, but definitely not 5 star quality, like some other Grand Hyatts in the Middle East. There were a couple of very nice things and a couple of problems. The first very good thing was that the hotel somehow provided me with wifi in the room upon request. Other have posted that it isn't available, but somehow they set it up for me. I ate in two of the hotels restaurants, 32 North and L 'Incontro and both were superb - I will review them separately. I also bought two nice bottles of Jordanian wine from the gift shop downstairs. The staff were extremely pleasant and well trained.

I had a couple of issues with the hotel, one being that it seemed like my A/C wasn't working. I had it turned cold as far as it would go and I got nothing but the vent. I woke up every night sweating like crazy. That is a pretty significant issue for a hotel of this rank. There was a lot of thump-a-thump-a constructions noises, but since I wasn't in the room during the day much it didn't bother me. I also was not crazy about the design of the shower - there is no way to easily turn the water on without getting sprayed. You have to essentially enter it to turn on the water, but since it took a good long while to get warm you couldn't just stand there. Rather annoying.

Other than that, I didn't have any further complaints. One recommendation I would make is to arrange tours through the concierge. I made my own arrangements which turned out badly. I am guessing the hotel would have steered me onto reputable companies.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank callmeishmael

Dear callmeishmael,
Thank you for having taken the time and effort to write us the feedback of your stay with us at Grand Hyatt Amman.
It was truly disheartening to hear of your dissatisfaction while you were our guest. Please accept my apology for the disappointment and the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.
And i was delighted to learn that overall you enjoyed your dining experience with us at 32 north and L'incontro.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Grand Hyatt Amman soon.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

It was unfortunate that the timing of my three day stay coincided with a major defence industry conference in Amman, so all hotels were at a premium. Consequently we paid way over the odds for this hotel, making it one of the most expensive hotels I have ever stayed in. They did explain that if I had come at another time the room rate would have been nearer half what I paid. We also checked the Marriott and the Intercontinental and these were similar prices. The hotel itself was good, with high levels of security (due in part to the conference), and a high level of service. Located in a nice part of the city, although you will need transport to get around. About 40 minutes from the airport. Check in was efficient, with good information exchange. The room was comfortable, large and clean, with a good bed. We had access to the Club lounge which had free wifi. Internet in the room was free (wired). I used room service, but the Club sandwich was a little disappointing. Breakfast was included in my price and was of a good standard. I also got a free pressing service during my stay, which was appreciated. Check out was also efficient, and they managed to look up and apply my Hyatt loyalty card during the course of my stay. However, this did not make up for the cost, so my rating reflects this.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel
1  Thank awsculli

Dear awsculli,
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Amman.
Best regards
Marketing CommunicationsManager

Reviewed May 19, 2012

I stay in Amman regularly and previously had used Intercontinental, which is much better than the Grand Hyatt. I'll be back at the Intercon next time.
Check in took forever and I really had to fight to get a room away from the noisy construction work, which continues.
I paid to upgrade to a club room, which was small although well appointed. The refurbished rooms look ok but the little details let this place down: bathrobes but no slippers; hot water was boiling and shower temperature very difficult to regulate (could have been very dangerous for children), housekeeping forgot to replenish water and tea bags, it seemed to be a lottery whether you receive a morning newspaper. Breakfas buffet looked ok, but choice quite limited and no pork products. Chefs struggled to make a simple poached egg. I only tried the vietnamese restaurant which was good but ridiculously expensive.
The club lounge was quiet and comfortable but cocktail hour snacks limited and low quality. The intercon club lounge is so much better.
Service was average to lackadaisical throughout the hotel, with the exception of the vietnamese restaurant where staff were excellent.
In short I would avoid this place unless other 5 stars are all full...definitely not up to hyatt standards.
I feel the hotel is badly managed so I suspect this comment will not get a reply!

Room Tip: Avoid the noisy construction work
2  Thank savvy_dave