One advantage of the Marriott group is that all their hotels are to a decent standard, if at times a little bland.
The Marriott in Amman is a decent hotel, in the middle of town, and certainly met my needs.
As a note, the local currency is the Jordanian Dinar, most commonly referred to by locals as the "JD"
Some Pros, Cons and Tips:
- centrally located
- areas around the hotel felt safer than most European cities !
- staff friendly enough, although not as attentive as other Marriotts in the region
- the immediate area outside of the hotel is fairly nondescript (housing, banks etc): the nearest small supermarket and alternate restaurants are ~10 minutes walk away, so taking taxis is required
- the main business park (KHBP) and City Mall are to the West of town - something like a 15-20 min 5JD drive
- the Restaurants at the Hotel are limited - an American style bar with a European restaurant. Sadly no local options !
- broadband was pricey (16JD/day) [although free for Gold Card users). although reasonable (even some Skype was possible)
- pool is small (on the ground floor)
- no outside balcony for rooms or even exec lounge (a pity)
- buy JD before getting to Amman (you'll need 20JD in local currency for the Visa - it easy to buy at the airport prior to immigration)
- fixed fare taxi from main airport to Marriott is currently 22JD
- if you have time to explore, head over to the Citadel (be sure to ask for "Jabal al-Qal'a") - awesome views of the city and interesting ruins. Only a 10-15 minutes drive across town
- if you have more time, take the time to at least visit Jeresh (45 minute drive North)
- Hotel Taxis are available, but a 6JD compared to 2JD or so for yellow cabs. The Yellow cabs are available on the road just opposite the entrance - but make sure they either use the meter of you have agreed a fare !
- Ensure that your agree the fare verbally with the Hotel taxi before starting. As an example, fare to main airport is 40JD (if charged to your room) and I was told 25JD is paid in cash - but their driver demanded 30JD at the airport saying the fare had gone up over night !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay at Amman Marriott Hotel and enjoy the ancient city that was once part of the Decapolis league. Amman, Jordan's capital is at least 5000 years old. Amman is an incredibly pleasant city that offers a wide variety of historical sites and cultural attractions and is complemented by wonderfully welcoming people. At Amman Marriott Hotel, an elegant hotel in Amman, Jordan, you will be steps away from the allure of this modern yet ancient city. Amman Marriott Hotel has very easy access to all business and tourist areas of Amman and Jordan. Accommodation in Amman could not be any better with our newly renovated rooms that guarantee a good night's sleep. Amman Marriott Hotel is Amman's preferred choice for business & social gatherings through legendary service. The qualified staff and hotel facilities combined, translates into more comfort for each guest. Stay at Amman Marriott Hotel and take pleasure in the true Jordanian hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Travelocity, Splitty, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Amman Marriott Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Amman
- Amman Marriott