“Luxury hotel - a nice treat”

InterContinental Amman
Ranked #2 of 145 Hotels in Amman
UK
“Luxury hotel - a nice treat”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Intercontinental is everything you would expect from a top hotel - great facilities and excellent service.

Our room was fairly big, with a writing table and comfortable chair along with a bed so big I think it has it's own postcode. The bathroom had both a bath and a walk-in shower, and was fitted out to a high standard.

When we went to breakfast each morning there was a free english-language Jordanian newspaper waiting for us hanging on the door handle. Breakfast itself was a wide-ranging buffet, with more choice than you could ever want.

I was lucky enough to spend four nights here and made several trips to the spa. Most of the time I had the jacuzzi and sauna to myself, and the pool never had more than three people in at any one time.

The hotel has three restaurants, and I tried all of them during my stay. They were OK (and the Indian and Mexican restaurants made a nice change from the usual Middle East fare) but not up to the standard of the rest of the hotel.

The hotel is expensive, and you could argue it can never justify the price. But you can see where the money goes, and if you can afford it then you will have a good stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Antoine F, Resident Manager at InterContinental Amman, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Mr. Bogtroter,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we are pleased to know that we were able to meet your expectations during your recent stay at our InterContinental Jordan.

It is truly rewarding when a valuable guest like you recognizes our efforts to provide outstanding services and takes the time to say thank you. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make our hotel a leader in excellence.

Once again, we are grateful for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC
Reviewed January 17, 2013

It is unfortunate how a great located hotel, with reasonably ample rooms, a good swimming pool, and one of the best restaurants in Amman (Burj elHamman) can totally screw it when it comes to the service, especially at the reception desk.

1) At the moment of checking out, I reviewed my bill and found charges from the minibar that were not mine. Frequent travelers must be rolling their eyes... yes, the typical trick (who wins with this?). Around 11 Euros that did not belong to my bill were there, waiting to be found, under a description that nobody can understand. So many people (and so many times myself) do not review the bill...especially someone who travels for business. However, this time I did. They immediately erased the charge, making me sign a "statement" that I did not take anything from the minibar, etc. First annoying finding, but nothing too atypical.

2) The same person (a man in his fifties, contrasting with the majority younger reception desk personnel) gave me the new bill, this time accurate. I said: I have some jordanian currency, (very minor compared to the total bill, around 20 Euros) I will pay with this, and the remaining of the bill in my credit card. This gentleman gave me the credit card receipt, which I signed without looking. I kept a copy and started walking away... almost outside the hotel, I realized that he made me sign the total of the bill (not discounting the 20 Euros). Came back.... full of apologies, he gave me back my 20 Euros -in Jordanian currency, which I ended up having to change at the airport -I exchange them for some great Zalatimo baklava. This was a more serious attempt of "stealing", or simply an unforgivable mistake.

At the check in I also had some minor problems -I got a twin bed room instead of a double bed, and they took forever to change it. All that leads me to think that some of the personnel is either stupid, or has bad faith. I had no other issues during my stay, everyone else like the concierge and even some other personnel at the reception were attentive and helpful, and even gave me the chance of checking out at 2pm.

I have stayed at the Hyatt (only a few blocks away) 2 times and never had problems of this nature. The main reason why I chose the Intercon this time was that I love the restaurant and that it's closed to my favorite shawarma place (shawarma reem). Not sure what I'll do next time, but I certainly don't want to feel these rip-off attempts again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Amman, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear elmasgrande,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback of our hotel. I am glad to read that you found our location and room accommodations suitable for your needs. However, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction of your stay due to the inconsistency in the service received from our staff. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Again, thank you for your review. Despite your disappointment, I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I arrived after a long flight and went to sleep . Best sleep Ihave had in a whike ! breakfast buffet was good with a wide variety of western and middle-eastern options, well spoken English team, the staff were all helpful

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Ms. Linda,

France
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is quite dated. It must have been a Grand hotel years back.
Despite the above, they really do their best to keep it to today's standards. This combined with outstanding service made it a winner for me. Very charming

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank AvidDiscoverer
Antoine F, Resident Manager at InterContinental Amman, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Mr. Savroq

Greetings from InterContinental Jordan. I would like to start by thanking you for sharing your experience with us; we are pleased to know that we were able to meet your expectations during your recent stay at our InterContinental Jordan.

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a valuable guest like you recognizes our efforts to provide exceptional services and takes the time to express gratitude. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make our hotel a leader in perfection and excellence.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future.

Ras Tanura, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We arrived late and had great service checking in and getting a crib for our son. The cribs are very nice with a thick mattress.
The hotel was decorated for Christmas, and we enjoyed the Christmas bazaar the next day. Just stayed one night, and it was a pleasant stay. The toiletries were very nice, and the bath tub was a good size.
Staff was great and the breakfast buffet had pork! Hard to find in the Middle East. Yum.
Staff loved our 16 month old and he enjoyed interacting with them.
Overall a very nice quick stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Antoine F, Resident Manager at InterContinental Amman, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Mrs. Smith,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we are delighted to know that we were able to meet your expectations during your recent stay at our hotel. We are also glad to hear that you have enjoyed the variety and quality of our food.

We appreciate your kind words and we look forward to welcome you again at InterContinental Hotel, Jordan.

Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Beatiful rooms,spacious and clean and well appointed. Bathrooms large with large soft towels. Staff is terrific . Several restaurants,great food. Neighborhood seemed safe. Romero's Restaurant and Cafe Bonito bar also nearby and good.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ms. Lynn,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding InterContinental Jordan. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay.

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a valuable guest like you recognizes our services provided and takes time to say thank you. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make our hotel a leader in excellence.

Riyadh
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The rooms are up to the usual intercontinentl standard, and the public areas excellent. The staff are professional and friendly, the food enjoyable again with a good selection. The hotel is well located in Amman and a great base for exploring the city and region.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family