“Great Expectations - somewhat unfulfilled”

InterContinental Amman
Ranked #2 of 144 Hotels in Amman
aberdeen
“Great Expectations - somewhat unfulfilled”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I don't often stay at the Intercon - in fact it is some years since I routinely used to escape to the Borobudur - so I came with some expectation of something a bit special. I did not have a bad stay. The hotel, staff, food, service are all generally OK. But for the Intercon I was expecting something....well a bit better.
The positives first:
Club Floor Meeting Room - excellent furnishings, good service, nice location for a meeting and very accommodating staff.
Lobby area - good for informal meetings and decent service. Food / drink options a bit uninspiring.
Location and general appearance - all OK
Staff - good and some great. Breakfast was a bit of a letdown here.

Now the areas that did not impress.
Breakfast - rubber scrambled eggs. Service just passable. Layout and choice.....4 star not 5
Rooms - comfortable, decent size, nice bathroom but....old TV, poor quality reception, limited channel choice and do they still make big old CRT screens?
Checkin / Checkout....major area of concern. 14 people waiting to checkout with 2 people working the desk.
A. - put more staff on checkin / checkout. Time is precious and I'm unimpressed about being kept waiting.
B - get better systems. I can't believe that the Intercon is using outdated, time consuming, inefficient software at front desk. Time is moving on and you'll be left behind unless you innovate and come up with what you customers are expecting......e.g. 30 second checkin. Automated checkout.

Would I stay again....yes for sure
But I would first look at other options where the hotel was not so dependent on its name rather than the substance of its service

Room Tip: Go for club rooms or asked for a refurbished room (assuming that they have a refurbishment program u...
1 Thank kontiki-T60
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Amman, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear kontiki-T60,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your wonderful comment regarding out meeting room and out staff.

However, We’re sorry about the lack of staff in check in area, the room amenities and the poor breakfast selection. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Vilnius, Lithuania
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Very good location, delicious breakfast, kind and helpful staff, clean, comfortable and big room.
Uncomfortable too soft bed, noise from 10-12 pm from the pool restaurant every day. My friends and I booked a car with a driver from the hotel to go to the Dead Sea and despite the price was agreed before the trip a driver angrily required tips from us.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed here for a conference, also organized on site. The staff were friendly and helpful from the onset, and continued to be so throughout my stay. The room was fairly quiet and overlooked the entrance, with huge curtains blocking out light and noise. It was clean and had everything necessary.

I also liked the spa area, although I had forgotten my goggles so I wasn't able to enjoy the indoor pool as much as I would have wished. The lobby was fantastic, and a great place for discrete people-watching.

I enjoyed the breakfast spread as well, always a wide variety of things while at the same time new dishes every day.

Amman, Irbid, Jordan
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I checked in this hotel 20th AUG and giving my credit card information to the hotel management, by the way, my company has corporate account in this hotel. The last night at 22:50, the duty manager called in my room and demand me to pay at the moment. And he said they demand my payment for three times but I didn't pay. I swear to god I never received any calls from the management except 3 times for asking my permission to enter my room to repair the leaking in the lower floor. And how can a hotel can't find its customer at all in 30 days?

I've stayed in all 5 star hotels in Middle East, but this is the most unhappy experience ever. If you can not charge it from my credit card, that's your own system problem. If I do not plan to pay, I would not ask for the bill one day before check-out so I can exchange enough JD for your convenience. You just think I will flee ...This is your so-called hotel policy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Amman, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear cynthia26y,

Thank you for your post. I would like to discuss this matter further with you. I have sent you a private message with more information.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

During a recent Business trip to Amman we stayed and and held the meeting within the said hotel.
The staff were very helpful and keen to assist at any time.
Dinning out on the terrace was avery nice and welcome change from the weather back in the UK. The food was excellent and would recomment the lebanese selection and mix grill.
Standard of room was great, as to be expected, and a helpful map of the City within your key cards was a brilliat idea ( directions back to the hotel were on the card for an unsure taxi driver)

Room Tip: upgrade to Club and request a pool view, club area is a pleasant setting and has a great view over t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Nidal A, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Amman, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear Mr. Colin

Thank you for having taken the time and effort to write us your feedback, I was delighted to learn that overall you enjoyed your stay with us at the intercontinental Hotel Jordan.

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our efforts and takes the time to say thank you.

We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future.

Nazareth, Israel
Reviewed September 11, 2012

It was not our first visit to InterContinental Amman, in fact it is our favorite place for a weekend getaway. Excellent service, great hospitality. Perfect for pleasure: very nice outdoor and indoor pools, very special restaurants and access to the perfect shopping places.

We've experienced it both as a couple and as a family and in both cases we felt most welcomed by a professional staff ready to help at any given moment.

We had a lovely long weekend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Haddad_12
Dear Mr. Haddad

We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

This was my second trip to Amman and i had previously stayed at the Holiday Inn, but was left dissapointed. I booked this hotel hoping for a more upscale feel and a better location. I was on a business trip and stayed for a total of 8 nights.

Check in process was friendly, but I faced a problem with the reserved room. I was placed in the older non-refurbished section of the hotel which really looked and felt like a holiday inn from the 80's rather than a modern intercontinental. I was given the option of stayed in the renewed section of the hotel at no extra charge and that is what I did. The reception employee was extremely friendly and gave his time to view both rooms and then decide.

Sadly, after entering the room i started to hear the sound of wind blowing. I ignored it but the sound returned. It would happen only once every 2 minutes but it was annoying enough to prevent me from napping. I inspected the window and discovered that the aluminum frame lacked a rubber seal all together and the two moving panels would meet centrally as " metal to metal" with the sunlight clearly visible between. Maintanace was sent to fix this and I must say that maximum effort was put in but the problem persisted. I went down to the reception to complain and I was moved to another room without even demanding.

From here onwards my stay was fabulous. The room is modern yet refined a lush. The bathroom excellent. Room amenities were excellent. I enjoyed the little cards and notes that were placed around the room to familiarize guests withthe hotel services.

The staff throughout the stay were very friendly. I would say at least 90% of them smiled on every encounter. Nothing that I asked for seemed odd or strange to them and they did everything they could to make me happy. I was particularly impressed whenever I called the "instant service" on the phone they would call me by name immediately even before I gave them the room number. It made me feel special.

The breakfast buffet was large and the quality and taste of the food was very good. However, I wish they had a section for people on a diet. I ordered room service twice and both times the speed of delivery and quality of the food was very good. I also tried the mexican restaurant on the terrace and the ambience was suuuuuuperb and the food quality was excellent.

Check out process was quick and efficient and the bill was accurate.

Apart from the unfortunate event with my initial room, I have two minor areas of concern. The price for internet is ridiculous and I opted to by a one month 3G sim card plan for half what the hotel would charge me for a single day. The other aspect was the luxury. I felt that the rooms were closer to Crowne Plaza standards than InterContinental. However, I will return to this hotel on my next visits to Amman without hesitation as this is an excellent hotel with a very nice surrounding.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Maher A
Dear Mr. Maher

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay.

It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts and takes the time to say thank you. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make Intercontinental Jordan a leader in excellence.

Looking forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future at Intercontinental Hotel Jordan.