“Wonderful Room, Woeful Service”

InterContinental Amman
Ranked #2 of 145 Hotels in Amman
Chicago
“Wonderful Room, Woeful Service”
Reviewed December 21, 2011

We stayed in a club-room suite for a week during December, thanks to an upgrade due to my Ambassador status. The Suite was huge, with a big bedroom, a big living room with a desk for working, a bar area with minibar/fridge, and . . . a bath and a half. The extra half bath comes in very handy when there are two of you. The master bath has both shower and tub. The towels were as plush as you would expect of a 5-star hotel. All in all, the room was fabulous, which led us to spend too much time in it.

The executive club in our tower was nice, and provided free wireless. In your room, wireless is an astronomical JD 17 per day, or more than USD 25!!! This is really bad marketing because it just irritates the hell out of their best business clients and leads them to spend more time in the lounge. In the evenings, cocktails and hot and cold food is available complimentary; some nights, the food wa outstanding; others it was at least OK.

Smoke. Did I mention the smoke? OMG, they are like CHIMNEYS in this country! Everytime I got to my room, I could smell the smoke in my clothes. But it is the country, not the hotel.

Service. Did I mention service? Terrible. We arrived on the Lufthansa flight that arrives at 1:00 a.m. When we got to the hotel at 2 a.m., we had to drag our own luggage 30 meters to the front door, then through security and to the check-in desk and on to our room. No bellman during the night apparently. Front-desk staff, however, was extremely nice, efficient and helpful. Our room came with complimentary breakfast: avoid the lobby restaurant at all costs if possible. If you have club access, you can eat in the lounge where the service is superb and there are relatively few other tables. The main restaurant was packed every morning where you could sometimes not find a seat. They ran out of silver, out of napkins, out of glasses, out of food, out of beverages.

Perhaps the worst, though, were the lobby bathrooms. Do people in this part of the world not know how to flush? Each time we visited the lobby bathrooms, they were full of poop. UFB. Does no one check these areas for cleanliness? What else can I say.

Our colleagues stayed in different (regular) rooms and had some of the same complaints about tired old rooms as other reviewers, so it appears to be hit or miss. Good luck!

The concierge was wonderful in helping us arrange a trip to Petra. He took care of everything, which was a great relief after dealing with a couple of the local travel agencies. Let the hotel take care of this; they do it very well!

The final service issue I ran into was at checkout. Although I had a confirmed room rate for two persons, the duty manager insisted that I pay an additional JD 20 per night, claiming that the rate on my confirmation (which clearly shows "2 guests") was for one person, not two. I have never had a hotel fail to honor a confirmed rate before, especially when I had a copy in my hand. This was a first.

Room Tip: Be sure to get your Ambassador membership before you book!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Rebel-Yell-Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2011

After two weeks on the road through the Middle East and Africa this hotel was a welcome delight. The beds and pillows were perfect. The restaurants were fine. It was a good overall experience.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Agent424
London
Reviewed December 2, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Intercontinental Jordan in Amman between 21-23 Nov 2011 and for a further night on 1 Dec 2011 i.e. a total of 3 nights.
Our experience however was a big let down - we had to wait approximately 10 minutes before even being acknowledged by staff on the reception desk (who seemed rushed and inadequately resourced). Once we did manage to check-in, the reception staff were unfriendly and far from welcoming (note, non-reception staff however were friendly and hospitable).
The room itself was a further disappointment. The decor was outdated, the carpets were stained and the bathroom was clearly in need of modernisation (tile grout was wearing thin, mould was visible) – the room was nothing like the pictures shown on the website.
To make matters worse, there were hairs in the bathtub and on the bathroom floor. The dressing table and the tea making facilities were covered in dust.

Although the desk staff were friendlier second time round, the quality of the room was just as poor if not worse.

To put this review into context, we stayed 2 nights at the Movenpick Petra and 4 nights at the Kempinski Aqaba. The Intercontinental was without doubt a distant third.
Both the Movenpick and Kempinski were cheaper by approximately £30 with breakfast included and a free daily mini-bar. On arrival, we were acknowledged immediately and provided with a welcoming drink and escorted to our rooms (which were bigger, modern and clean) with a demo of the facilities.
Kempinski even went the extra mile to provide free Wi-fi for guests, something which the Intercontinental charges a ridiculous rate.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kemcho_sk
IHGCare, other at InterContinental Amman, responded to this review, December 3, 2011
Dear Kemcho_sk,

Thank you for advising us of your dissatisfaction towards our staff service. Please allow me to apologize for any inconvenience or negative impression this might have caused you. I understand why you are disappointed, let me assure you that this is not our usual level of service. Our management has taken note of this and proper action has been taken to ensure that situations of this nature will not reoccur in the future. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Brenda J.
IHGCare
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and had the best experience ever. The rooms are very clean and the hotel is classic and modern at the same time. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The service is great. Couldn’t ask for more from a hotel with such a great location in Amman, I would recommend this hotel to every person i know so they can share the same experience I had.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ROBERT S
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 26, 2011

Not always my first choice for Amman, as I do prefer the Grand Hyatt's lounge when on business trips, but on my recent trip I was upgraded to a suite, and having spent 5 days there this was a well appreciated upgrade.

Icing on the cake was the Nespresso coffee machine, something I am beginning to see in other Intercontinental Hotels, and I frequently travel with with a few pods of coffee that I enjoy.

Additionally a free bottle of local red wine was also included, and this time I managed to consume it during my stay as I usually travel hand baggage on business trips, these gifts are usually left behind or given to somebody before I leave.

Staff are very friendly, good restaurants with a great breakfast choice.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool can be noisy if there is a wedding being held there
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2011

The hotel was very nice and the beds were comfortable.Staff are welcoming and nice food in the Indian restaurant.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed November 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed here towards the end of our stay in Jordan and it was convieniently located to many of the tourist attractions close to Amman. The hotel was very comfortable and the beds provided an excellent nights sleep. Our room was spacious and the bathrooms huge, with three showers! Fantastic! We also had club lounge benefits which was great and the breakfasts were lovely here. A couple of negatives would be how loud the weddings are on the weekends and the fact that they charged us for parking without even informing us that they would when we arrived but luckily it wasn't too expensive. A good, comfortable stay for a couple of nights. Thanks.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple