“Nice people, nice restaurant, dirty rooms”
Review of Amman Pasha Hotel

Amman Pasha Hotel
Ranked #6 of 149 Hotels in Amman
Reviewed October 29, 2012

After the very warm welcome, and a good meal in the restaurant downstairs, the room we had was disappointing. Especially the dirty carpet (even wettish, close to the bathroom) is in desperate need of removal. Bedlight was there, but no fitting socket to plug it in. Location is good, next to the Roman theatre.

Both dinner and breakfast were good, nice restaurant area and staff is more than friendly. This will be a great place after some renovation on the rooms is done.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mg-bc
syriafullbottle, Owner at Amman Pasha Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.a special thanks for the kind words about the staff.It is regretable that you did not enjoy your stay.Had you alerted the front desk your expectation would have been fully met.Rather than waiting days or weeks after your stay to tell us what is wrong .As you have noticed from previous posts/reviewers usually within miniutes from alerting the front desk for any shortfall their needs are met.
My advice to future guests dnt put up with any discomfort and wait to tell us after you leave. PLEASE do alert front desk and leave a feedback note in the suggestions/complaints box sitting at the counter.
we are new in business staffing is a serious issue and yet to be completely dealth with.It is ongoing hard work training especially the house keeping ,and laudary department
The wet carpet that you encountered in your room was actually steam cleaned on the day and the room should have not ready to be occupied.
Best wishes
Raymond and crew
I want to thank you for choosing our hotel and assure of pleasant stay in future.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed here for one night stopover and it is excellently located for the Ampitheatre and downtown markets. The hotel owner is British and knows the best place to buy cheap beer and places of interest he circles on a provided map of downtown. The restaurant within the hotel is great. Offering an amazing taboheh salad that i couldnt get enough of! Very helpful friendly staff even showing us a local male dance in the restaurant while we ate. Rooms average but with AC and hot water.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GLS1984
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed at this establishment for two nights earlier this month while doing some traveling through the Middle East.

Pros:
The location is great, in downtown with lots of places to eat and things to see in walking distance. We met the owner on the very first night and he seemed to be everything that I have read on Trip Advisor, very pleasant and happy to have met you. The room was a very nice size, although they gave us a triple when we reserved a double, so the room was larger than expected.

Cons:
The shower and sink (taps especially) were exceptionally dirty, not exactly a "clean" bathroom that I had read about. The bed covers did not appear to be washed frequently, which made us a little hesitant to sleep in the sheets underneath, so we used our sleeping bags. This could just be us being a little paranoid, for all I know everything was spotless in the sheets underneath. The hotel offered a laundry service, which we were very excited about as we were travelling for 3 weeks and desperately needed laundry done. We dropped it off and they said it would be done that day (which was good as we were leaving in the morning). When we went to get it in the evening, they kept saying 1 more hour, 1 more hour, 1 more hour. We were starting to think they lost it. At the end of the night, they said to check back in the morning. I advised that we were leaving in the morning, and dirty or clean, we just needed the clothes back the next day, they said no problem. The next morning they were ready, and advised that they had written the wrong room number on the bag or something, and there was mass confusion.

We are very reasonable people, I would have preferred if there could have been more communication the previous day about the laundry and whatever they knew at the time about it as it made us a little nervous, as well as left a bit of a bad taste in our mouth about the whole process. In the end, we got our laundry so all is well :)

Overall, the price of the room (booked on Booking.com) was a great deal for what the hotel had to offer. Prices in Amman seemed relatively expensive for any form of quality hotel, I would probably stay here again if on the same budget as this trip.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
syriafullbottle, Owner at Amman Pasha Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thanks for taking time to review our hotel I am glad to hear that overall you were happy and it was good value for money.

I apologize for the stuff up in the laundry department which is not the first time it happens.I admit we need to sharpen our skill in this area.and we will.

After invetigation I found that some of the multi colourd bed covers does not look very clean apparently the dye/color has run over each others being washed at hight temperature which gave it the look of dirty while in fact it was washed and cleaned as good the whitle bed sheets that you were suspecious about

Again would like to point out to intending visitors to please let the front desk know of any problem this will ensure you have a pleasant stay.and we become a happy host.

If you have misunderstanding with front desk ask them to refer you to me personaly.I be too glad to assit always.It is my pleasure to be able to.

best wishes

Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Amman Pasha hotel is good value compared to other hotels we stayed in during our trip to Jordan. The owner and staff are super friendly and helpful, which made our stay very nice.

The rooms are clean and basic. There was a tv with two channels in English and the bathroom and sheets were clean. Nothing spectacular, but plenty of comfort.

The hotel also has a nice cafe next door and the breakfast is quite generous.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Subotnikk
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I am really sorry to give such a bad review to the Pasha hotel. It sounds like its owner is an active member on TripAdvisor, he prodigally gives plenty of useful advices to people who want to travel through Jordan and he speaks highly of this hotel. We had great expectations. Alas, we were really disappointed.

Pros: location is great, it is right across the Roman amphitheater and the citadel is really close too. Our room was very big as well as the bathroom. They play traditional Arabic music at night and teach you how to bellydance. The gig is really entertaining. Staff is very friendly.

Cons: our room was filthy, the furniture was dated and in need of renovation. I found hair everywhere, on the bed, in the bathtub, on the floor. It was so bad we slept in our silk sleeping bags. The bedside table was covered with dust. There was no plug for the lamp behind the table and the cable had to stretch across the single bed. Thankfully no one was sleeping there.

The terrace was in a disgraceful state. The smell of rotten food was very strong, the rubbish was left all over the place and table were not cleaned after guests had left.

There is a 5% overcharge if you pay with your credit card (it didn't happen anywhere else).

They messed up with our bill twice, charging us more than due: once as we paid for the room and once as we paid for our dinner at the restaurant. First time it happens you think it is a genuine mistake, but second time? It is very embarrassing as well to send the bill back twice because it is not correct.

We stayed 1 night only. I don't think we could have stayed more. Here it is not a problem of students or backpackers coming up, staying for months and destroying the place as stated in an answer to a TA reviewer back in July 2012. Here is owners neglecting the place and not cleaning up when due.

I am sorry about this, nothing personal, but I would not recommend this place unless they start cleaning it up.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the top floor with view on the amphitheater.
5  Thank barby_travels
syriafullbottle, Owner at Amman Pasha Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Madam, there’s no need to be sorry about telling the truth. To tell it as it is truly admirable. I want to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Remember tripadvisor.com is the world’s most trusted travel forum.

It is regretable that you did ask to meet me pesonaly during your stay.I would love to meet the people I chat with on the forum on tripadvisor.

The jig where men and women join arms and dance that the staff perform is actually the traditional Jordanian dance The Dabkeh. The guests are invited to join in the fun and dancing.

The terrace on the roof is not officially open yet and is currently a make shift arrangement with a few tables and chairs. We invite the guests up there to take advantage of the views of the Roman Theatre and Amman mountains. It is open all hours and sometimes the guests at night stay till early hours of the morning. It seems they leave empty cans, bottles, rubbish and food. The staff cannot clean it until they arrive for their shift the next morning.

The 5% charge when you pay by credit card goes to cover the cost of collecting funds from Visa International and Visa Jordan. It is not meant to be enforced on the guests but appreciated if accepted. Often we have to pay up to 15% commission to our booking partners and affiliates with hefty overheads to cover.Next to the advice that we charge 5% for CC there is a note says that ATM machine is in same street out side the hotel if you do not want to pay by CC.

Amman Pasha is a new hotel with new staff including the ones who run the restaurant and messed up your bill twice. Training new staff is the biggest task/challenge and yet to be completed. I can assure you it was not intentional

Same goes for the housekeeping department. After investigating your complaints regarding your room, we established the hair that you found had fallen from the quilt as the staff DID NOT shake the quilt covering the bed during daily cleaning.

A special thank you for helping sort out this mystery source of the hair in the room that has bugged us for some time.

Madam, this is intended as a reminder to other guests to please take advantage of the suggestion/complaint box placed at the counter at reception. Had you registered the complaint we could have organised to make your stay much more pleasant and comfortable. We would greatly appreciate all requests, suggestions and complaints be placed in the box at reception for immediate action to rectify the problem

Reviewed October 12, 2012

With clean, tidy rooms, really comfortable beds, friendly staff and great food this deserves at least a four. There were two things that let it down for me though:

1) Noisy
When the first aeroplane went over the town at 5am I thought the roof was about to fall in on us! Fifteen minutes later the call the prayer sounded like the speaker had been placed on my pillow. As a resident of Turkey for some years I'm not bothered by this normally but it seems the windows of this hotel, which look out onto the main street by the Roman theatre, are missing their double glazing. Having just flown in from a long day's travel all we wanted was a quiet night's sleep but I'm afraid the hotel let us down on this front.

2) Smokey Bar
I know smoking in Jordan is still accepted but the Pasha's restaurant was a pretty smelly place. I'd put on a clean shirt for the evening and within an hour I was stinking of smoke as people lit up throughout dinner. Since the hotel has an outside area I don't see why they can't make that the designated smoking area and the eating area non-smoking. Many other places we have visited in Jordan have done this, there is no excuse. I noticed a lot of 'local' visitors hanging out in the restaurant area, most of whom smoked. If I were the proprietor I'd be putting the comfort of my guests first and requesting that his friends not light up whilst guests eat.

Brilliant proprietor and knowledgeable staff make this a great location for exploring downtown Amman, within walking distance of all the things the guidebooks tell you to visit, but ask for a room that faces the other way and have plenty of clean shirts packed ;)

Room Tip: DO NOT get a room facing the main street!
1  Thank followtheboat

Dear valued guest thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

It is rare that aeroplanes passes over the hotel or downtown Amman.They come from the old Marka airport in east Amman.

As you mentioned .In all muslim countries the sound for prayers coming from mosques is a common problem for international visitors to Jordan is no exception.I can assure you that we do have a double glazing 18 mm thick .Spare a taught to other hotels in downtown which non of them do have ordinarly single sheet glazing.Any inteneding guest to our hotel please ask us to show /confirm our double glazing on our windows.
On the issue of er plugs we be too happy to provide them for free if the guests ask for them

Your suggestion on non smoking area at the hotel is taken on board for immediate action I can assure our intending guests that they will have one.

Thank for the kind words about me and my crew.

We hope that you return to our hotel for a fresh pleasant stay in future.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

You're not going to find a better hotel in central Amman than the Pasha. If you're looking for five-star bling, you won't find it here, and you should probably stay at one of the international chains in the western suburbs.

But if you're looking for a centrally-located, charming, good value, slightly quirky place to stay with incredibly friendly and hospitable staff, here's your best bet. Raymond, Khaled and the rest of the staff do their utmost to make everyone feel right at home. Don't be surprised if you end up getting dragged into a dabke or meeting half the neighbourhood.

The rooms are spacious and clean, with good hot water (not always a given in Downtown Amman). The roof terrace is a great place to sit for a read, drink or chat - the views over the Roman theatre are fantastic. The location is great as well - everything you need is within walking distance (although those who don't like steps and steep hills might need to get a cab to Rainbow Street!)

I really enjoyed my stay at the Pasha and would definitely stay there again. I've now visited Jordan three times, and here and the Mariam in Madaba are my two favourite hotels in the country, hands down.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple