“Wonderful food, excellent company and gorgeous atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Beit Sitti

Beit Sitti
Ranked #13 of 620 Restaurants in Amman
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout
Description: guests to make a homemade traditional arabic salad, mezza, main course and a dessert course arabic meal with the help of a local woman , then get to enjoy it on our balcony or indoors at our grandmothers house in one of the oldest neighbourhoods in Amman
Kabul, Afghanistan
“Wonderful food, excellent company and gorgeous atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

Literally translated, "Beit Sitti" means "My Grandmother's house". Beit Sitti is a business built by three sisters, who's grandmother taught them to cook the food they teach us. The business is actually located in what used to be their grandmother's house, which makes the business a personal experience for the ladies running it. You can tell how much they care; they only buy their food from the local markets and hire local women to help teach the classes. Every meal is an act of love.

Beit Sitti was easily one of my favorite experiences in Jordan. Identified by an easily visable but not overbearing sign hanging over the sidewalk, your experience begins when you walk up the worn stairs to the entrance. The entrance is surrounded by beautiful foilage and brings you into the welcoming atmosphere of Beit Sitti. After being greeted by the staff, we were directed outside to where our class would be taking place. We enjoyed the absolute best lemonade I have ever had the pleasure of guzzling while we waited for the class to start.

Maria was our guide through the cooking adventure. Witty and energetic, she effectively meshed fun into learning. Despite having a large group (a bachelorette party made up the majority of the students. Great idea, by the way!) Maria expertly managed the group, keeping everyone entertained and employed throughout the experience.

Now that we've talked about the experience, lets talk about the food. Man, delicious! Our class made maalouhbeh (a kind of upside down rice and meat dish), baba ghanouj (roasted eggplant dip), yogurt and cucumbers, and my absolute favorite, osmaliyeh. Osmaliyeh, similarly known as knafeh in other Arabic countries, is a wonderfully delicious dessert. We had the option of supplementing our meal with a local wine, which we chose to do. We picked the red, which ended up being a highlight of the already outstanding experience.

I highly encourage you to take the time to visit Beit Sitti for a course. You won't regret it!

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Joan P

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
N Yorks, UK
“Great way to spend an evening as the sun sets”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

Really enjoyed the lesson as well as eating what we made! Helpful instructor & aides. There were 7 of us when we went, which was a great number - I understand there are often more, so I guess we were lucky! We cooked out on the terrace (with canvas overhead) as the sun went down over Amman. Very pleasant.

1 Thank Keldale
Amman, Jordan
“Very Fun, Very Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

I loved having a chance to learn how to make some famous Arabic dishes- I look forward to trying these recipes when I return home! I highly, HIGHLY recommend going.

Guttenberg, New Jersey
“Wonderful local experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

Whenever I travel I like to take a cooking class to get a chance to meet local people and experience their culture. Beit Sitti was certainly one of the highlights of my trip to Jordan. The hosts were welcoming and inclusive of all the participants. Unlike other cooking classes in Jordan, Beit Sitti is a small intimate environment and not intimidating for less experienced cooks. I highly recommend this experience for anyone interested in food and learning about the local cuisine of Jordan.

Brisbane, Australia
“Fantastic experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

My husband loves to cook, this experience was absolutely fabulous. The meal we prepared was delicious and included Tabbouleh , Fattet Magdoos , Mutabal , Muhalabieh. I must admit I didn't know what they all were before we started; however we were delighted with the end result. The team here are really lovely and we had a lot of fun.
I recommend this to any visitor to Amman.