“Basic accommodations but incredible staff”
Review of Torwadah Hotel

Torwadah Hotel
Torwadah Hotel
Ranked #20 of 94 Specialty Lodging in Amman
Haifa, Israel
“Basic accommodations but incredible staff”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Incredible bargain! Seriously, I don't know how the owner even makes a profit. I paid about $40 for two nights. He served my girlfriend and me free delicious dinner two nights in a row, made phone calls for us for free, and even accompanied us to our bus company office to catch an early morning bus. He saw us off to make sure we didn't miss the connection and he paid for the taxi to the station. He also served us half a dozen cups of tea. He must have spent about 20% of what we paid for the room just on these couple of extras. Also, the internet was much faster than what I'm used to when travelling, and the room felt very secure from theft as I left my stuff there all day.

Now the room was a bit basic, but clean, and the bathroom would probably only seem normal to seasoned budget travelers. The owner had pretty limited English, so it'd be good for a traveler to have a little Arabic handy. Those were really the only downsides though, and overall I'd highly recommend this hotel for budget travelers.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed April 14, 2012

This is the nastiest hostel I have ever been to.
When I arrived, there was garbage in the room and it was NOT clean at all! I told the owner to clean the room, but he just said "It's ok. Will clean tomorrow". I asked several times but it was never cleaned.

The owner was rarely there, so it was impossible to use the internet because the reception was closed. (No signal in room) Also, they constantly turned off the hot water, so you had to call the owner (and wait 20 minutes for him to get there), wait 20 more minutes for the water to heat, and then maybe there would be enough hot water for 30 seconds of showering.

There are no facilities in the room: no towels, no toilet paper, no soap, no wifi, almost never hot water. The owner told me "Will get towel tomorrow". Never happened.

The room smelled very strongly of paint, to the level where I got sick from it. I asked for another room and two days later I was offered an extremely damp room with fungus on the wall. It smelled like ammonia. I was actually getting sick from staying there.

Also, the hotel locks the door at night, so if you are going out for drinks and arriving after 11, you might have trouble getting back in.

The owner was unfriendly and spoke very bad english.

If you want to put your health to risk to save money, go ahead and choose Torwadah. There are many other options in the area that are better value than this.

Room Tip: Ask for one without fungus or paint smell. If they have one.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank anders_norway

Travelers are raving about these Amman hotels

Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2012

First of all this place does not have a 24 hour reception. THe rooms were cold and damp and pretty awful really. The place is like something from the film 'Hostel.'
The man we managed to get hold of to check us in was alright, pretty poor english but very friendly and nice. We checked in, seen the room and let him keep the money and just left, I don't think the room was fit for human habitation. It was snowing in Amman and the room had no heating and the bedsheets were all damp. The room was dark and depressing and the bathroom was shocking.
Considering you can stay in some pretty nice hotels in Amman for only a few dinars more I have no idea why anyone would stay here.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lw0u21db
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Once upon a time, the Torwadah was probably quite a swish hotel with a lift and central heating. Neither of these now work, the furniture is a little tired and the hot water temperamental. Having said all this, do not dismiss this little gem of a hotel...
Centrally located and close to the balad/downtown of Amman, the Torwadah is handy for the amphitheatre, citadel, shops and eateries. The owner and his son are extremely helpful, despite limited English. I booked an airport transfer which worked seamlessly, was hassle free and definitely worthwhile if you're arriving in the evening. The driver was waiting for me in the arrivals hall with a clearly printed sign and took me straight to the hotel.
My room had tired furniture, though was clean and comfortable. The hotel has no heating, so in February it was very cold. Extra blankets kept me warm in bed, but lack of heating left the room cold. There was hot water most of the time and my room was very quiet.
In summary, I would stay again without hesitation in warmer months, but in winter I think I'd fork out a bit more for somewhere with heating.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Awayfromeastbrook
Gosport, Hampshire, England
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Excellent service from entertaining and informative manager. Located close to most sites of interest in downtown Amman including Roman Theatre. Despite being in very busy part of Amman the hotel is in a quiet location. Room a bit scruffy but everything worked. Excellent value.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank alanaplin
Kochi (Cochin), India
Reviewed September 30, 2011

This is a budget hotel, centrally located, just 5 minutes walk to Roman Theatre. Only basic furniture in the room, such as writing table, stool and a side table. Small TV with various selection of Arabic and English channels. Hot water was not available in bathroom. Couple of Indian/Pakistani restaurants were around other than local restaurants/coffee shops. Just 20 meter from the hotel there is public call cabin from where can make very cheap telephone calls to any country. There is a service taxi stand (White Taxi) just 50 meter from the hotel. 0.35 fill only to JETT bus station where one can catch JETT bus to Aqaba, Petra etc. Also will get taxi to "Mugama Shimal" for 0.35 fills from where there is Airport Bus service available every 1 hours at JD3.0 only. The onwer of the hotel, Abu Rashed is a very helpful person, but have very limited English knowlede. Early in the moring at 5:30 he personally took me to the service taxi stand for getting taxti to JETT Bus station for going to Petra. This hotel is good for budget travellers/backpackers. Breakfast included in the room rate but they dont have a restaurant, he sent me to the next door local cafetera for breakfast; Arabic bread, egg or Phool Madamus, tea and water only served.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Movarip
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I chose that hotel upon a recommendation from my friend I had met earlier in Lebanon. I stayed there 3 nights in a double room offered for a single room price. The hotel was run by a very polite older man of Egyptian origin. The place was simple, but clean and very quite which I enjoyed a lot after 3 weeks of backpacking and sharing rooms with the Lonely Planet followers. The hotel has several floors and is located very close to the old citadel. Nearby are many places with cheap food and street kiosks with fresh fruits and juices.
In short: very reliable place for a good (low) price.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo