ibis Amman
$116
$139
$104
Agoda.com
Amman Pasha Hotel(Amman)(Great Value!)
$33
$28
  • Restaurant
All reviewsreem al bawadismall mallsweet shopbusiness tripclean roomsshort staydead seasupermarketmaherjordanrashataxireceptionistinternetmrrateschannels
Reviewed May 11, 2010

This hotel is just what we wanted it to be - comfortable, quiet, good value and convenient.

The room was very comfortable, with a good firm bed, good shower, excellent air conditioning and adequate storage (although some drawers rather than shelves would have helped). It was also a good size, if a little narrow. The cleaning of the room wasn't great, but it also wasn't bad or dirty. There was free wifi, which was generally very fast.

The location is quite a way out of downtown, so you need to take taxis or drive, but taxis are pretty cheap, and the location is close to good, fast roads into and out of the city, but without suffering from traffic noise. It's also just across the street from City Amman, which has a good supermarket.

Service was polite and straightforward. We didn't have breakfast in the hotel, but did have one light dinner in the cafe, which was reasonably cheap for Jordan (about 5JD for an omelette with chips and salad), and pretty good.

Altogether, a very good, convenient, and excellent value hotel (we paid 48JD a night - 57JD a night including taxes) - I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2010

To be frank, the price of a room in Ibis Amman is expensive. Nevertheless, other hotels in Amman are not cheap as well. Other 3 stars hotels in Amman, moreover, are very old. The facilities of Ibis Amman are very new. For these reasons, I still prefer Ibis to other hotels in the same class.

A great drawback is: breakfast is not included in the price. One has to pay extra, and the price is not cheap. I book with my ISIC card online, so breakfast is free for me. But for those who do not have an ISIC card, it may not be very worth to pay for a breakfast there. Just opposite the hotel, there is a big supermarket where you can find a large variety of food. The supermarket opens as early as 7am and closes at 12 at night. There is also a food court (and a MacDonald) within the shopping mall.

Perhaps because it is a new hotel, a lot of taxi drivers (except those drivers of the airport taxis) do not really know where the hotel is. Moreover, beware of the taxi drivers waiting in front of the hotel. They also ask for crazily expensive price! A lot of them refuse to use meters. I usually wait for taxis that pass by. It should cost around 2 JD to the downtown and the north bus station (where you can take a bus to Jerash).

• Stayed: April 2010
1  Thank 400wolves
Reviewed April 8, 2010

I had stayed at this hotel for one night only - arriving late at night from the Queen Alia International Airport and departing soon after breakfast for a tour of Jerash, Ajloun, Salt & Jordan Valley before heading to the Dead Sea for a night's stay. So my main reasons for choosing this hotel was simply because I needed a relatively cheap place for a sleepover (by comparison to other similar hotels in Amman) & because it's quite new.

As it was just a short overnight stay, I didn't find any negatives about the hotel. The positive sides are as follows:
+ the hotel is new, the check-in was smooth, the room is good and spacious enough, LCD TV, small sofa, etc.
+ internet is free
+ the breakfast spread was somewhat limited (salads, fruits, breads and pastries, cereals, and some local breakfast dish) but it was not bad.
+ breakfast area (oopen cafe) is spacious, thus you don't actually have to almost literally sit by other people's side like in some other hotels.
+ location is just across the road from Amman Mall.

One note however, I booked the room through Ibis' website a few days before the stay and paid in Jordanian Dinar. At the hotel reception however, I saw the published rates as slightly lower than the ones quoted on the website. Not sure if this is always the case - it's possibly due to the fluctuation in exchange rate.

Overall, I'd probably stay here again if I'm here on a short stopover in Amman.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 6, 2010

I just had the most painful experience I have ever had in an Ibis. The only reason I am not screaming out loud is because of the wonderful gentle nature of the Jordanian people (which reflected itself in the hotel staff) as well as my continued (though diminished) respect for Ibis - for the reliable, cost-efficient ‘McDonalds’ concept they have created in hospitality.

Having said that, my experience in this hotel was close to dreadful. On arrival I was told that a ‘buffet’ dinner was on offer. When I showed up, it turned out to be a choice of a few salads and a single hot dish (beef steak with vegetables). When I asked the waiter how on earth a single dish had qualified for the term ‘buffet’, I was told that at JD 15 ($22) it was a fantastic deal!

I served myself some green salad, but after a few bites noticed the horrifying sight of a live green maggot (about 1cm long) in my salad, shaking its head and slowly making its way up the green leaf it was sitting on. When I showed it to the F&B manager, he promptly replaced the salad, apologised and offered me free breakfast the next day – which I felt was much too feeble a gesture for committing the ultimate culinary crime.

True to form, the buffet breakfast also turned out to be the tiniest I had ever witnessed, despite being priced at the mid-range (JD 9, $14). On top of that, most items (including eggs, juice, cereals and milk) had run out and not been replenished, despite it being only 8am and the restaurant hardly being busy. Some of the items had containers that were clearly not suited to them – for example, the corn flakes tube container acted more like a ‘grinder’, churning out powdered flakes as you turned the wheal!

Most disturbingly, the hotel’s minimalistic approach was fully observed in the paper-thin walls of rooms and corridors. You could hear everything – and I mean every thing, even small movements or murmuring conversations in the next room. This made it impossible to sleep before any of your neighbours had done so, and forced you to wake up with the first person in the vicinity having a shower in the morning.

On the plus side -- the hotel was fairly well located, staff were disarmingly polite and friendly (though not always the most efficient), the rooms and lobby were clean and tidy, the bed was comfortable, the price was reasonable (JD 72 / $108) and there was free high-speed wireless Internet.

Overall though, it seemed that Ibis Jordan had taken the ‘no-frills’ concept way too far, which was a real shame and a faith-shaking experience for me personally. As a loyal Ibis fan, I had frequently picked Ibis for my own and my staff’s business travel, in Eastern Europe as well as the Middle East. Not anymore. Going forward, I will be checking the reviews every time I consider a new Ibis!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 5, 2010

We took a taxi from the airport and the hotel was known and we were brought to the hotel. The rooms are small, but have a lot of comfort, a small couch, a desk and a good closet. Also a flatscreen and a small but clean bathroom.
The mall (with McDonalds and supermarket) is only 2 minutes away. There are always taxi's waiting to bring you to town.
Restaurant Oopen serves as breakfast area in the mornings and pasta / grill restaurant in the evenning where you can chose between a la carte or buffet (15 jod). The breakfast buffet is excellent, in the evening we preferred a la carte.
The wireless internet is free, but there are also 3 computers available with free internet.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple