“Predictable Ibis; good base; perfect location”
Review of ibis Amman

ibis Amman
Ranked #19 of 148 Hotels in Amman
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Ibis is Ibis is Ibis. This is the standard international formula (but expect only 3-star standard) business hotel. Zero charm, but zero surprises either and who likes those? Functional, clean, good-size rooms, free Internet, boring international breakfast. Don’t expect to eat there. No more to be said. What we hadn’t expected was that it had so much conveniently nearby. First, it’s handily north of the city centre if you are using it as a base for northern or western Jordan, Jerash etc. Second, it is across the street from a reasonable-size Western (= US style) mall which has a large supermarket for essentials like water and fruit. Third, it is walkably (under five minutes) close to a number of good eating options (or even the grim fast-food ‘court’ in the mall if KFC/MacD’s your thing).

Tawaheen (aka Don Quixote) is a popular choice for a genuine (and enormous) restaurant clearly very popular with the locals, families, young people, and informal business. See its TA entry, with its high rating for Jordanian specialities, basic mezes and silly-low prices. About 200m from the hotel, tho you have to dice with death to cross the dual carriageway. The newer ‘cosmopolitan’ Harmony complex has three restaurants, but we only tried the Arab one, Ward, also excellent, also huge: slightly up-market from Tawaheen, and maybe more for local special occasions, outings, date-nights etc. Third was Reem, almost next door, which we didn’t try but again it looked nice.

Otherwise a nice safe classy neighbourhood to walk around a bit people-watching. This is slightly trendy Amman, lots of big 4X4s and German cars. There’s a cavernous standard tourist bazaar selling everything back on the main street nearby, next to the big Turkish Baths complex and a quite extraordinary cake and dessert emporium well worth a window-shop on a post-dinner stroll.

2  Thank Michael424
IbisAmman, General Manager at ibis Amman, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Dear Michael424

Thank You very much for taking the time to write your comment regarding your stay in our hotel.

I have taking a good note of your comment regarding our brekfast,and rest assured that i will definitely be following up on this issue and corrective action will be taken to improve on the quality of our breakfast.

I thank you again for for yor sharing exprience and we hope to welcoming you shortly in our hotel.

Eric Seso

There are newer reviews for ibis Amman

Reviewed November 3, 2012

The hotel itself was fairly small but was ok to stay for 1 night any longer I wouldn't advise it especially as the location wasn’t so great.

Being a smoker I always look for a hotel with a balcony or at least a window that I can open as I hate smoking inside. Given this was my only cheap option at a rate of 90JD per night which includes breakfast I definitely think you can find something better.

The reception desk was very unprofessional and did not have any knowledge of Amman or even gave us any advice of what to do. He would speak to his colleagues and answer the phone (twice) and speak to the other guest who spoke to him in Arabic and made us wait for 15/20 minutes even thou we were there first.

1  Thank LaarniG

Dear LaarniG

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at ibis amman.i am very sorry that your experience did not meet your expectation;please allow me to express my sincere apologies.

I have taking good note of your commentm and i have already taken the neccesary action with our front office team in order to correct the issues you mentioned in your review which are not acceptable at all.

Once again i do apologies for any inconvenience caused and hope to be able to welcome you again in our hotel.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

- as usual, slightly small rooms (but comfortable)
- clean
- no noise from outside, but u can hear some from adjacent rooms (my room had an interconnecting door)
- free wifi
- friendly staff
- no support for arranging sightseeing

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
IbisAmman, Front Office Manager at ibis Amman, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Dear Kellosam

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the ibis Amman Al Madinah. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Abdelelah Shurbaji

Front Office Manager

Reviewed October 25, 2012

My friends and I stayed here two separate nights while traveling in Jordan, and both times we checked in and out we had bad experiences with the front desk staff. We were never greeted warmly by the employees (ignored really), and I am almost positive one of the staff members was on something -- he was so out of it and took way too long to check us in and check us out. The other issue we had was that we had reserved non-smoking rooms, but they could not accommodate this upon arrival one night, which was very frustrating. They instead put us in smoking rooms that "smelled the least" that they had available. I feel we should have been compensated in some way for that issue.

Other than the poor service at the front desk, the hotel was fine. The rooms were a little small, but they were functional and clean. The breakfast buffet (which was an additional cost) was pretty good, and the restaurant staff was much more friendly to my fellow travelers and me. We stayed at Ibis because the price was reasonable, and we got what we paid for.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
IbisAmman, General Manager at ibis Amman, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Dear doratheexplorer111

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the ibis Amman Al Madinah. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At ibis, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Hotel Ibis Amman

Reviewed October 24, 2012

For the price, this is a decent hotel. Its very clean, the rooms are small but quiet and comfortable. They have decent food available for dinner, focused on the needs of business travelers. The location is so-so, not great, not bad, a few cafes and an old mall are across the street. They play loud 'elevator' music in the lobby and in the nice courtyard. this is very annoying, and if you try to work, do a call or skype, it is very distracting and everyone on the other end will hear the music. This is a chronic problem in this region, but in this hotel is was particularly bad. Its bad music too! I wish they would make it nice music, or just kill it. Its not necessary. The bar staff don't seem to know how to make a drink, and are a bit rude, but the front desk staff are very nice. The doormen are good too, always helping with taxis and directions.

Room Tip: they are all the same, just be sure the wireless in the rooms work, it is uneven in some parts of th...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2012

it's my second time I stay in this hotel, and both of my stays I asked for non-smoking rooms. first time the room was full of cigarette smell, and in the second time I found cigarettes on the locker!! the there was a coffee mug front of our door stayed from 8:00pm till we check out next morning at 7:30am. and there is a lot of ffood plates stayed for the same period of time in the corridor.

but in general the hotel is nice, good location, good rooms as well.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
IbisAmman, General Manager at ibis Amman, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Dear Mr.Raslan

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Ibis Amman Al Madinah. We are sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincere apologies.

I have taking good note of your comments, and I have already spoken to our housekeeping team in order to correct the issues you mentioned in your review.

I thank you again for sharing your experience with us as your comments are very valuable to us in order to improve and correct our services.

It would be for me a pleasure to meet personally with you on your next stay at our hotel and discussed further your impression on our hotel or if you prefer you can contact me directly on my email H6313-gm@accor.com .

Once again I do apologies for any inconvenience caused and hope to be able to welcome you again in our hotel.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed for 5 weeks in this hotel, which is not bad at all. The Ibis Amman Hotel was not my real choice; it was simply booked for me for the reason of walking distance to/from the office and a relatively moderate price of 58 Jordanian dinars per night (with breakfast, including all taxes).

Firstly, it is neither a typical "budget hotel", nor an average Amman or Middle East 3-star one. It offers even a bit more then many of Middle East 4-star accommodation facilities. The room is clean, the bed is comfortable, and the bathroom much above "Arabic cleanness". Internet access (included in the room price) is workable for email, light surf, Skype etc, but do not expect too much.

However, for my taste, rooms need at least a couple of more square meters to be of decent space, and above all, windows need to be real ones, i.e. to be possible to open them. By the way, this hotel is a 5-floor building with 158 guest rooms, 1 restaurant, 1 cafe, 2 conference halls, spacious lobby and an underground garage. None of the windows, according to the architect's idea, has not been designed to be opened (and closed up to the needs), except a few windows at the fire exit stairs. Thus, if you are suffering of claustrophobia, do not book this hotel! Nonetheless, the air-conditioning system proved to be efficient enough, even for a smoker like myself, in case of a single, moderate-frequency source of tobacco smoke per room.

This hotel has a very nice garden, more precisely a patio, which I used very much during the weekends, setting up my own laptop "office" there, with AC power from the wall outlet. There they serve so-called Turkish coffee, which is excellent. (If you need to drink something stronger than coffee, it is very expensive in Amman, and I recommend to bring your own from the airport duty free shop). You can stay in the hotel's patio wearing your shorts and slippers only, unless you are of female gender. Anyway, a good recommendation for westerners coming to the Arab world is not to forget that they are in the Arab world.

The hotel breakfast was not bad at all during the first days of my staying in the Ibis Amman, but after a while become repetitive, which I expected for such a long stay in a place designed for rather very short-term guests (2-5 days in average). Nevertheless, being a part of a French chain, this Ibis also serves croissants for breakfast, and the most important is that they are edible.

There is, however, always a thing that "spoils" everything, In this case, the "music for relaxation" they play from the central lobby to all of the public spaces throughout the hotel, is more than a repetitive, because their playlist consists of a few melodies only. Fortunately, there is not such music in the rooms. I wanted to make a claim for this annoyance, but simply I did not see anyone except the local staff (during whole 5 weeks) to address to. And I was sure that they are also sick and tired of such musical repetition, but someone who could be in charge of such "details" is "too busy" with "more important" managerial duties.

The hotel surroundings are quite good, there is the "Amman Mall" practically across the street, with many fast food opportunities, a supermarket (with a small pharmacy and a local mobile provider desk), the number of various shops, a relatively big department store, as well as an underground ICT shop, ATMs, as well as a barber shop. Within the radius of 500-1000 metres there are various restaurants, cafes, pastry shops. If you want to go downtown, approx. 7-8 kilometres, taxi driver should charge you not more then 3 Jordanian dinars (equivalent to 4.2 US$).

Room Tip: All the rooms are of the same size, shape and equipment/amenities. The fifth floor is for smokers...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business