“Excellent place in Amman”
Review of Abbasi Palace

Abbasi Palace
Ranked #23 of 101 Specialty Lodging in Amman
Reviewed February 6, 2012

A great place with some very friendly and helpful staff. The room was fine with a TV. It's a good place to meet up with fellow travellers and share the cost of taxis to see the sights. It's a bit difficult to find on your own as it's down a sidestreet and the only way in seems to be by the lift. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed January 31, 2012

I stayed at the Abassi Palace hotel/hostel in Jan 2012 for 5 nights. I had taken the airport bus for 3 JD to North Station (the final stop) and then a taxi from here to the hostel. Be warned that once you get to the North Station you will be swamped by taxi drivers offering to take you into downtown Amman. I was approached by a taxi driver and I asked how much it would be to get to the hotel and he said 6 JD. Do not accept this price – it should be 2 JD. I stupidly ended up paying 4 JD in the end and had to share the taxi with other people.

To enter the hotel you need to take the lift from the bottom of the building. I was shown around my standard single room with en-suite was very spacious and clean, however my room was absolutely freezing. Thankfully though there was a portable heater in my room and lots of blankets.

While the heater warmed up the room it was still somewhat cold. The hotel uses portable heaters which are used to heat the common room and computer room. Whenever I went in the common room and computer room the staff would come and turn the heaters on and move them near me to keep me warm.

The room is very basic. My bedside table lamp did not work and I had to ask reception for another light. On occasion the ensuite toilet did not flush because of lack of water. No problems with hot water in the shower though.

As I travel alone I always take my laptop to keep me occupied. To my knowledge Wi-Fi is only available in the computer room downstairs. On my laptop the signal did not reach the common room, however I noticed that it did for some other people. The Wi-Fi is appalling and completely unreliable though. Most often the Wi-Fi was so slow that you would only be able to check incoming emails and nothing else. This was somewhat frustrating as without any television in my room and no Wi-Fi there was not much to do.

There are lots of places within walking distance to eat downtown. I certainly recommend taking a walk uphill to Rainbow Street for a nice selection of upmarket cafes.

The one thing that makes this hostel/hotel stand out is the staff. Staff at this hotel are incredibly friendly and all speak great English. All staff remembered my name which was a very nice touch. In addition to this the lady owner even bought deserts for all the guests on the 4th night of my stay. Travelling to over 40 countries I have never experienced such welcoming, friendly and accommodating staff. Upon checking in I enquired about where I could get something to eat and the guy at the reception even offered to show me where I could find cheap food!!

If you are looking for somewhere cheap to stay then stay here. I would certainly pay a bit extra to get somewhere with better Wi-Fi though next time and somewhere a bit warmer during the cold winter months.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Getting here is quite difficult as even the bus servces to Amman will have touts beside the road telling you there place is the Abbasi Palace. The locals find it quite amusing but if you are not careful you could lose a deposit by ending up somewhere else!

After you catch the bus from the airport to the bus depot you can catch a taxi very cheaply to downtown Amman which is where Abbasi Palace is. It is right in the heart of the downtown area.

This was my first accommodation in a foreign country and it was fantastic! The owner was fantastic and after my arrival and 26 hours worth of flights from Australia offered me to share her and her husbands meal. After eating she paid for a trip up to the temple of Hercules for me in a taxi!

My room was very clean, the whole backpackers was very clean. Her staff were always very friendly and helpful. One of the night I stayed there she prepared an incredible feast for everyone in the hostel. There was so much food that we had trouble eating it. She also showed us how to make some of the local dishes.

For trips around Amman and to the tourist destinations they have their own drivers and fares can be single or shared. I chose shared trips as it kept the costs down. You can of course choose other taxi drivers to take you to destinations but the hostel cannot guarantee any of them.

Overnight they employ someone to stay at the front counter to make sure the place is safe and also who cooks the breakfasts every morning. He was very firendly and hospitable.
After returning from Aqaba I spent another 3 nights at Abbasi Palace and if I returned to Jordan would stay there again.

The accommodation is simple but for the price what do you expect?It is well worth what you are paying for it. This place also had free Wi Fi and internet!

My only gripe is that the best part of the hostel to socialise was where everyone smoked.

Room Tip: Where ever you sleep you will hear the call to prayer. Just get used to it - you are in Amman!
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 21, 2011

I read a lot of reviews about the hotel and about how fantastic the owner and the staff is and they are just wonderful.

Staying at the Abbasi hotel for 2 days was to be at home away from home. The accommodation is very basic but the staff and the charm of the place totally make up for it.
I have read stories about them forgttting to pick you up at the aiport of not having hot water. I must say all worked out for me. I arrived in the middle of the night but their driver picked me up at the airpport and was on time, and there was hot water!.The staff makes a point of remembering all names and what room people are staying. You are not just a number, they genuinly care and will do all they can to accommodate you. They offer day trips at a reasonable price and seem to work with more or less the same drivers all the time and always ask how it was and if there are any areas of improvement to make it better.
The neigbourhodd seems quite safe even at night although as a solo female traveler I would still be careful. IIt is quite well located next to the roman amphitheater and within walking distance from the market and the citadel.
They do offer internet access for free.
I left very early in the morning way before the official breakfast times but my breakfast (broiled egg, tomatoes, pita bread, hummus, cucumber) was waiting for me when I came down for check out.

This place is simple but the atmopshere is very nice and it is easy to meet fellow travelers in the common room at any time of the day/night. I will definitely stay there again if I go back to Amman!!!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that are right above the smoking patio because of the smell
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 13, 2011

The Abassi Palace is a sweet place to stay. I traveled to Jordan earlier this year alone. The staff is super friendly and helpful. The common area is a great place to meet fellow travelers and the hotel is located perfectly in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Amman. If your looking for simple, clean and friendly this is the place.
Thank you for an excellent stay back in May.
Michele

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank mfollis
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I'll keep this short and sweet. For a hostel in the Middle East, this is as good as you get. These folks actually gave me a pice 5 JDs less than they quoted me. They were ridiculously accommodating and did not try to push anything on me whatsoever. This place came to me as a recommendation and I would strongly recommend it to anyone staying in Amman.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Likes:
Friendly and helpful staff in central downtown Amman (although I wasn't keen on walking around as a single female at night) but entrance is secure. Nice common area with wi-fi, cheap single room ensuite.

Dislikes:
There was no hot water the evening I arrived, but there was hot water in the morning. Another friend who stayed there didn't have hot water during his stay (but apparently there was hot water in the kitchen tap) so it's probably best to check or ask about it if you have issues with hot water. I chose this hotel because it had cheap single rooms. My room was a bit old and musty, but for the price, I can't complain.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo