“The best hostel I ever stayed at”
Review of Abbasi Palace

Abbasi Palace
Ranked #26 of 108 Specialty Lodging in Amman
Reviewed December 21, 2011

I read a lot of reviews about the hotel and about how fantastic the owner and the staff is and they are just wonderful.

Staying at the Abbasi hotel for 2 days was to be at home away from home. The accommodation is very basic but the staff and the charm of the place totally make up for it.
I have read stories about them forgttting to pick you up at the aiport of not having hot water. I must say all worked out for me. I arrived in the middle of the night but their driver picked me up at the airpport and was on time, and there was hot water!.The staff makes a point of remembering all names and what room people are staying. You are not just a number, they genuinly care and will do all they can to accommodate you. They offer day trips at a reasonable price and seem to work with more or less the same drivers all the time and always ask how it was and if there are any areas of improvement to make it better.
The neigbourhodd seems quite safe even at night although as a solo female traveler I would still be careful. IIt is quite well located next to the roman amphitheater and within walking distance from the market and the citadel.
They do offer internet access for free.
I left very early in the morning way before the official breakfast times but my breakfast (broiled egg, tomatoes, pita bread, hummus, cucumber) was waiting for me when I came down for check out.

This place is simple but the atmopshere is very nice and it is easy to meet fellow travelers in the common room at any time of the day/night. I will definitely stay there again if I go back to Amman!!!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that are right above the smoking patio because of the smell
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed December 13, 2011

The Abassi Palace is a sweet place to stay. I traveled to Jordan earlier this year alone. The staff is super friendly and helpful. The common area is a great place to meet fellow travelers and the hotel is located perfectly in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Amman. If your looking for simple, clean and friendly this is the place.
Thank you for an excellent stay back in May.
Michele

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank mfollis
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I'll keep this short and sweet. For a hostel in the Middle East, this is as good as you get. These folks actually gave me a pice 5 JDs less than they quoted me. They were ridiculously accommodating and did not try to push anything on me whatsoever. This place came to me as a recommendation and I would strongly recommend it to anyone staying in Amman.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Likes:
Friendly and helpful staff in central downtown Amman (although I wasn't keen on walking around as a single female at night) but entrance is secure. Nice common area with wi-fi, cheap single room ensuite.

Dislikes:
There was no hot water the evening I arrived, but there was hot water in the morning. Another friend who stayed there didn't have hot water during his stay (but apparently there was hot water in the kitchen tap) so it's probably best to check or ask about it if you have issues with hot water. I chose this hotel because it had cheap single rooms. My room was a bit old and musty, but for the price, I can't complain.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Abbasi Palace has perfect location in the city center (near to everything), friendly and helpful staff. They also organise good tours and friendly drivers for moderate prices. We liked the breakfast: simple but a good. Unfortunately the room was without windows and small. But undortunately cleanliness especially in the bathroom was poor and no Hot water.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I felt really nice in this place, the staff was extremely helpful and nice. I really felt like home.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Dukulainen
Reviewed October 11, 2011

First of all, let me start by saying I feel really bad about writing this review. After all, the staff were very gracious and friendly (sharing food, pointing out decent eats, etc.). Having said that... I kind of wish someone else would've written this. To all the people who wrote glowing reviews about this place? I just wish I had some of whatever you were smoking... Having arrived late and tired, Abassi just made a terrible first impression. Overpowering mildew smell from the room, shower that was held together by duct tape and sprayed water every which way but down, toilet throne that actually rocked from side to side, ancient a/c unit missing its front panel, leaving exposed coils and a gaping black hole spewing out who knows what, mosquitoes in the room... Within 5 minutes of checking in, I was on my computer looking for other accommodation. But by that time, I was too tired to actually do anything about it. Things felt slightly better in the morning, but let's call a spade a spade. Abassi Palace? It's more like Brokedown Palace and the room was one of the worst I've ever stayed in. I realize it's more hostel than hotel but at 14JD for a twin room for single use, was WAY overpriced. It may have been worth it for half that. But the relatively high cost for what I got made it an easy choice to pay another 6JD and move over to Arab Tower.

On the plus side, the bed was relatively comfortable, the hotel was quiet despite being on a large street, the hot water was really hot, and the Roman Theater was easily walkable. Taxi drivers all seemed to know where it was. When I checked in, there were no tours going where I wanted to go (either Jerash or Dead Sea), but within a day, the hotel was able to offer me a shared seat to the Dead Sea (unfortunately, by then, I had met other travelers and made other plans). So points for being helpful in trying to set up travelers up together to meet the minimum 4 people for tours. I did see guests hanging out, smoking and chatting, so it did seem like an easy place to meet other travelers. So if that's what you're in to (as opposed to the actual room), this may be the place for you.

So again, so sorry to have written this. Abassi staff, you guys are great. The property, though, is just really exceptionally run down. Should I have expected more, even for 14JD? Going by the other reviews here, yes. But I'm sorry I couldn't abide by the sign in Reception that says: "If you are happy, tell others. If not, tell us". I just wish someone had told me...

Room Tip: Somewhere else...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo