“Fantastic place for a meeting”
Review of Retaj Hotel

Retaj Hotel
Ranked #94 of 143 Hotels in Amman
Geneva, Switzerland
“Fantastic place for a meeting”
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

The hotel's exterior is a bit grim looking- but nefer judge a book by it's cover.

Rooms are of a high standard, cleaning staff are outstanding and you won't lack for anything.

The support provided for holding meetings/workshops is nothing short of outstanding. Staff were dedicated, the room was constantly cleaned, coffee breaks and meals were outstanding. The Retaj is in a class of its own, if only hotels worldwide would emulate their standard.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I stayed one night when transiting through Amman. The staff were friendly and helpful and my room was surprisingly attractive -- nice four-poster bed and a very pleasant, comfortable ambiance. It is very close to the Four Seasons and there are two pleasant, reasonable restaurants right around the corner.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the quiet side of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
San Anselmo, California
Reviewed November 21, 2013

While this place does not have a pool or gym, their customer service is top notch and the rooms are clean. They allowed me to check in early and checkout late without a hassle. They are steps away from the Sheraton and Four Seasons. I was able to go to the Sheraton and "test out" their gym for a day without having to pay. I bet you could do this with each of the hotels around the area if you wanted to.

The food in the restaurant is actually quite good (though it's worth checking out Whispers restaurant across the street - full salad bar), and I liked the breakfast. They didn't serve water at breakfast or have complimentary bottles in the room. But there's shop next door that sells water. So, I recommend just loading up from there.

The only complaint I have was with the bell person who flagged down a taxi for me and negotiated a 4 JD trip to downtown. I should have let the driver use the meter because it would have been less than 2 JD - so, not sure why the bell person basically set me up to be ripped off. I guess he got a kick back from the driver - but I expect more from a hotel's staff.

Aside from this, I found everyone at the hotel quite pleasant and they did whatever they could to ensure that I had a comfortable stay. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
West Bank, Palestinian Territories
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I only spent a night at Retaj, it was pleasant and the staff are super helpful. The room was clean, however I did notice some ants by the shower that should probably be taken care of. The bed was comfortable and luckily I got a room on the side of the building so I did not hear any of the outside traffic. However, the walls are fairly thin and I could hear the cleaning staff in the other rooms clearly. As for the breakfast, it was disappointing I must say. The pastries were stale and everything else was very bland. I did like the olives though. Other than that, everyone was very friendly, I was happy that they held onto my luggage as I went out after checkout, and would definitely consider coming back to Retaj but probably only for an overnight stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Binghamton, New York
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I spent a week at the Retaj and found it to be a good value. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the room was clean and it is close to many places and restaurants. I'd stay there again. The staff remember your name and promptly fill any requests.

Room Tip: Stay on the backside of the hotel. It is the most quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Bruce P
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed at the Retaj during a training for the UN. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. When I needed anything, they would accommodate. They even offered to store an empty suitcase for me that I could not take on my flight (for the next time I returned to Jordan).

The rooms are fairly simple, but clean and my bed was comfortable -- although my room was facing the street so there was a bit of traffic noise..

I didn't go to the main restaurant, but the morning breakfast buffet was delicious. A nice choice of Jordanian food as well as European/North American breakfast fare (eggs, meats, nice breads, etc).

The Hotel is fairly centrally located, just near the 5th circle and close to most major shopping. There are also a few small shops next door when you can buy drinks, snacks, etc and a liquor store nearby, which sells good wine at a reasonable price -- good selection of Jordanian wine, as well.

I'll return to the Retaj when next in Jordan.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the street, as it's off a major traffic area and can get loud during...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sjmegy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Excellent service, clean rooms, lovely breakfast and most importantly really kind staff who even opened the restaurant for us 2 am when we arrived from the airport. Internet connection is not great but gets faster after midnight. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business