“great food but...”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 22, 2012

it was very expensive
it is not for everyone/

wine selection was nice and impressive but it started from 50 euros per bottle!

Starters are from 17 eurosper dish

tel aviv is very expensive!

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I came here with my colleagues for the business lunch deal after hearing good things about the restaurant--and we were all very satisfied. First of all, the atmosphere is perfect for being across from the beach--full of light, space and overall sophisticated w/o being over the top. As for the service, the staff was professional and attentive. And of course, the best part--the food was exciting and delicious! The portions were medium-sized but it's to be expected in a gourmet restaurant (and plenty, in my opinion). The desserts were lovely, especially the churros and the pistachio-fruit dish. And for 88 shekels/person (first and second course with soft drinks), it was well worth the price.

I look forward to returning to this establishment!

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I booked a table there because it was supposed to be a good restaurant with a nice sea view. When we arrived, we have been told that the 1st floor is not accessible because of a private event so we had to forget about the sea view.

The menu was very pricy so we were expecting something very good. I had the tomato salad which was good but nothing exceptional for a restaurant of this kind. Then i had the Pici pasta with lambs carbonara and this was not tasty at all. My boyfriend had lamb chops (5 pieces for 265 shekels). The meat was good but once again, nothing exceptional for this kind of restaurant. The mustard mixed with the mashed potatoes was unusual and not really tasty.

There are many restaurants in Tel Aviv, much cheaper which serves better food.

1  Thank Alexandre O
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Herbert Samuel is a restaurant of the famous Israeli chef Jonathan Roshfeld. It is located between Tel Aviv and Jaffa, along the beach, but doesn't have sea view. It is a big space, with high ceilings, and you can either sit by the bar (chairs are comfortable) or at the tables. Dinners are very expensive, but business lunches are good value. We were two people, took one fixed business lunch for 88 NIS and one "tastes lunch" for 165 NIS - many small, different dishes, which enable you to try a lot. With wine, coffee and one dessert, it came out to 350 NIS. Everything was delicious. One dish was not superb but just ok, and the waitress immediately offered to change it when she saw we didn't finish it. We weren't hungry anymore so refused, and then she brought, on her own initiative, an extra dessert, as a compensation. Service is excellent, music not too loud (although it could be quieter, but loud music is the plague of all Tel Aviv restaurants), chairs are comfortable, and you can really sit there for a long time and enjoy. The next day someone from the restaurant called me to ask for feedback.
The food is Israeli, with interesting twists: Fish, lots of salads, good home bread, meat, chicken. Basic dishes, superbly made, with an interesting twist of some spice, fruit, or just the way it's made.
I will definitely come back to this restaurant.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

We just got back from what used to be our favourite restaurant in Tel Aviv. Same high prices...ok...we have been there before we knew what to expect but what happened to the food?
Where is the inspiration? Mediocre service as well....just before the main course was served, they checked to see whether they were missing an order (they were!) I had finished my food by the time the missing order arrived.

I don't want to bore you with what we ordered but it was a large selection---5 starters 6 mains 2 desserts (which were very very good and hence 2 dots not 1.) The worst course...grey drum fish with grey sauce and green and grey vegetables totally bland and tasteless.

Where was the spice?