“Unlike any guided tour I've ever done”

Milestones Israel - Day Tours
Ranked #17 of 200 Tours in Tel Aviv
More attraction details
Owner description: Erez Strasburg of Milestones Israel, a tour guide and educator with 30 years' experience, takes the philosophy of a 'personal touch' to a whole new level. With his passion for Israeli tourism, he brings forth a new approach, linking the past with the present in order to expertly tailor your visit to Israel. What you will experience is a personal connection with places, people and history that will touch your heart.
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Did a day tour of Jerusalem from Tel Aviv (I'm here on business) with Erez Strasburg, and I was absolutely blown away. I've traveled all over the world and done lots of touristy things, but this experience was unlike any other. Previous reviews mentioned the personalized aspect of the tour. Erez not only asked me what I was looking to get out of a trip to Jerusalem, but googled me before the tour to find out more about me. I was a bit taken aback at first, but almost immediately disarmed by his enthusiasm and passion. What became clear over the course of the day is that Erez is committed to two things in his guiding: (1) understanding the stories and traditions behind sites, and (2) the human, emotional dimension of traveling.

We started out with a visit to the Scrolls of Fire monument in the Judean Hills, because I had said I wanted to do something a bit off the beaten track, and also because Erez believed it would set the stage for the experience to come. The monument is an incredibly moving sculpture by the French artist Nathan Rapoport, a Holocaust survivor, who narrates Jewish history from the Holocaust through the 1948 War of Independence and the 1967 Six Days War. As I realized during the tour, the point of the visit was to explain the importance of Jerusalem in Jewish history, so that its significance was clearer to me (as a non-Jew). Seeing the Western Wall after seeing Rapaport's depiction of paratroopers crying at the Western Wall during the 1967 War was much more powerful.

In Jerusalem itself we did a mix of Christian and Jewish holy sites, as well as visits with a couple of Erez's friends, including Kevork Kahvedjian, the owner of a photography shop, with an incredible story and technically and emotionally brilliant photographs for sale. The emphasis was always on understanding the deeper meaning and significance, not of the sites themselves, but of the way people relate to the sites. Why is it that people travel thousands of miles to pray at the Western Wall or touch the stone upon which Jesus's body was supposedly buried? That was the theme of the tour. Again, I've never done anything quite like this. It was a far cry from the dry recitation of facts about dates and names, and it certainly wasn't a rushed experience where all the sites pass in a blur. It really was about making it an experience that was meaningful to me.

It probably goes without saying that Erez has deep knowledge, but he is also good at communicating information, using books, maps, and even a somewhat cheesy (but effective) overview of the history of Jerusalem using lego blocks. However he is convinced -- and I agree --that information without emotional impact will soon be forgotten. That's why it is so important to seek the human dimension in a tourism experience.

If I had more time I'd travel all over Israel with Erez. I couldn't recommend his services more highly.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

This was our first trip to Israel and about 2 days was all we had to at least get an impression of the country, its history and people. Erez and his collegue Sandra took us on a marvelous day trip to the Dead Sea and Jerusalem, which was perfectly organized. Also, Erez has a great sense of humor, deep knowledge, and a very engaging style. We did a preparatory call well ahead of time to discuss scope and schedule of the tour. This was very helpful. We were particularly interested in the old and ancient Israel. And we got to see it; but the two never missed to relate the past to the present. It made the visits so much more meaningful and relevant. Of all the guided tours I have done over the past years, this one clearly stood out. I can recommend Milestones Israel to anyone who looks for a personalized sightseeing program. And to people who like to spend a day with a very engaged guide, who leaves no doubt that he's passionate about showing and explaining his unique country to visitors. We thoroughly enjoyed it, and learned a lot.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Erez Strasburg created a wonderful trip for my daughters and me that will be remembered for a long, long time. Erez arranged a visit to a village in the North of Israel, Bustan Ha'Galil, where I and my parents had lived for less than a year in 1950-1951, 62 years ago. Erez's irrepressible enthusiasm made it possible to speak to the villagers, to identify people who remembered my family, and to even meet with the daughter of the man who bought our farm in 1951. So many of the people we met were memorable - a North Carolinian who spoke Hebrew with a broad Southern accent, the 88 year old village nurse, the woman who grew up in 'our' house, even the owner of the village shop. Everyone was wonderfully helpful, and my daughters gained a whole new insight into our family history. I loved Erez's curiosity, his affability, his story-telling abilities, and the way he was able to draw people out with charm and genuine interest. The experience was magical!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Erez created a wonderful, personalized itinerary for my family's trip to Israel. He managed to care for and delight three generations, aged 12 to 90. We traveled over ten days from Ein Geddi to the Golan Heights and he made every visit meaningful through his passionate storytelling and creativity. The rich history of Jerusalem, Sefat, Cesaria and Masada all came to life for us. An unexpected highlight for me was a horseback ride on the Golan Heights at sunset with my daughter. There was a rainbow and the sun was streaming through the clouds pouring light into the Sea of Galilee. Erez managed to organize an early morning surf for my nephew despite an already full itinerary. All the children were moved by a visit to a Midde School for Holocaust Memorial Day. We each learned so much and were deeply inspired by Erez. And, as the trip planner for the family, after an initial flurry of calls and emails I was able to relax and know that everything was being taken care of.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

On a high after ten of the most wonderful days in Israel thanks to Erez Strasburg and his company - Milestones Israel - Personal Tourism. Note the word personal in the name of the company. He asked each of us what made each of us most happy and provided for that in the schedule: my daughter with a hike and swimming under a waterfall; my granddaughter a sunset horseback ride along the Golan Hights; my grandson surfing in the Mediterranean; and my younger grandson a truly personalized tour with warm and funny stories in the old city of Jersalem. And for me, the pleasure of their truly enjoying the best holiday ever in which they learned to understand and appreciate the history of Judaism in a fun, memorable way. It was perfect - each boutique hotel, the Mercedes van and most of all - Erez himself - a master storyteller. Deborah S