“Great Asian street food, terrific service with a smile”
Review of The Bun

The Bun
Ranked #169 of 1,646 Restaurants in Tel Aviv
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: After working for Jean Georges, Alain Duccasse, and Daniel Boulud, and traveling all over Asia, decided both Chefs(brothers) Ayal and Shei Kitches, to establish a small Asian restaurant with their favourite food.
Reviewed August 27, 2014

I eat at The Bun all the time. It's just taken me a while to get around to reviewing this great little place.

The Bun is located near the Carmel Market and is run by Shai and Ayal Kitches, two brothers who are the primary cooks there. It's a little restaurant that isn't necessarily the place you'd go for a meal you'd make an evening of, but that is not what it strives to be. Rather, Shai and Ayal cook South East Asian street food, which is quick, fresh, beautifully presented and delicious.

I've eaten some wonderful dishes there, from the Vietnamese Chaka La Vong to Indonesian Laksa. Their business lunch is also a great value.

And now a word to those who talked about terrible service. Never, in all my visits there have I not received attentive service with a smile and saying that if you don't order enough food you can't be seated is ridiculous, not to mention they have outside seating. Perhaps someone had an off day, but I'm telling you all, it's smiles all around, often with a chaser of sake or plum wine on the house.

The Bun, a great stop for lunch if going to they market, dinner with the kids, or with friends as the start of a night out.

About the photos, I used to have so many more....of the buns, of the curry etc. No idea what happened to them but all were delicious.

There are newer reviews for The Bun

Reviewed July 11, 2014

I actually feel bad writing this review, considering I eat at The Bun pretty regularly. The food, is great and the chefs are friendly and wonderful. Having said that, I popped in here for lunch a couple of weeks ago. There was a group of 5 of us, and four of us had ordered appetizers, drinks and main courses. The waitress than said that since one of our friends was only getting a drink, she could not stay in the restaurant and would have to wait outside for us. I'm sorry, there is no excuse for that. The buns are good, obviously not nearly as good as other places in the world but for Israel, pretty good. Just beware, the staff might ask you to leave if you don't order enough food. What terrible customer service, even for Israel.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

This is a hidden little place just off of the Carmel Market. I had the lunch special, which included soup (or salad) and a choice of entree from two different price groups. The soup was lovely--flavorful and complex. My main dish was a red curry with chicken, vegetables, and vermicelli. The chicken was so so good and was marinated, grilled and placed on top of a pile of vegetables, which were fresh and crisp. The vermicelli noodles were fine (it's hard to mess up noodles), and the red curry broth was also nice--a good mix of sour, hot, sweet, and savory. My only complaints would be that the curry needed just a tad more salt, and there was none to be found on the tables/bar, and that there was a little too much cilantro on the soup and the main dish. Unlike some of the other reviews, I had no problem with the service. Although they were busy I was served quickly, efficiently, and with a smile.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

The place serves nice buns and some Japanese miso-based soups and overall the food was decent, though not very good. We encountered with a problem as one of the friends ordered a noodle dish with chicken and she literally had one tiny tiny piece of chicken. These kind of things happen and thats fine but when we told the waitress she said that everything is measured accurately and the dish is absolutely ok. She was not willing to take the dish back for a checkup as we suggested. To our surprise, the owner/manager (tall and bold guy) backed her up and made us feel extremely uncomfortable with the whole situation. At the end, my friend lost her appetite, did not eat from the dish and of course had to pay a full price for a very small value. What a shame that this is how this restaurant chose to treat clients...

1  Thank Asaf S
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I've been at the place today with some friends from Norway.
It's located in the beginning of the Carmel market at Tel Aviv, in a small street. The place is really small and resembles a street food bar ( and it is ). The sitting outside is unpleasant because of the uncomfortable table and chairs. The flies from the market was a real bothering. The menu was very compact and without any specials. We ordered the rib bun, the udon soup and crispy chicken. Can't say I liked the bun, the missu filling was overpowering all the ingredients and they were tiny like a starter, going for 41 NIS it's a bit expensive. The chicken was boring and lacked seasoning, so was the rice it was served on. The soup was nice, but again going for a 41 NIS for a bowl of noodle soup is pricy. The beer was only in .33ml glasses for 23NIS. I asked for the menu again and after bringing it to me, the waitress forgot to approach again and ask me if I would like to order something else.

A place I wouldn't go for again, and would not recommend to others.