The Bun
Ranked #177 of 1,653 Restaurants in Tel Aviv
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: After working for Jean Georges, Alain Duccasse, and Daniel Boulud, and traveling all over Asia, decided both Chefs(brothers) Ayal and Shei Kitches, to establish a small Asian restaurant with their favourite food.
Reviewed July 6, 2014

This is a hidden little place just off of the Carmel Market. I had the lunch special, which included soup (or salad) and a choice of entree from two different price groups. The soup was lovely--flavorful and complex. My main dish was a red curry with chicken, vegetables, and vermicelli. The chicken was so so good and was marinated, grilled and placed on top of a pile of vegetables, which were fresh and crisp. The vermicelli noodles were fine (it's hard to mess up noodles), and the red curry broth was also nice--a good mix of sour, hot, sweet, and savory. My only complaints would be that the curry needed just a tad more salt, and there was none to be found on the tables/bar, and that there was a little too much cilantro on the soup and the main dish. Unlike some of the other reviews, I had no problem with the service. Although they were busy I was served quickly, efficiently, and with a smile.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

The place serves nice buns and some Japanese miso-based soups and overall the food was decent, though not very good. We encountered with a problem as one of the friends ordered a noodle dish with chicken and she literally had one tiny tiny piece of chicken. These kind of things happen and thats fine but when we told the waitress she said that everything is measured accurately and the dish is absolutely ok. She was not willing to take the dish back for a checkup as we suggested. To our surprise, the owner/manager (tall and bold guy) backed her up and made us feel extremely uncomfortable with the whole situation. At the end, my friend lost her appetite, did not eat from the dish and of course had to pay a full price for a very small value. What a shame that this is how this restaurant chose to treat clients...

1  Thank Asaf S
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I've been at the place today with some friends from Norway.
It's located in the beginning of the Carmel market at Tel Aviv, in a small street. The place is really small and resembles a street food bar ( and it is ). The sitting outside is unpleasant because of the uncomfortable table and chairs. The flies from the market was a real bothering. The menu was very compact and without any specials. We ordered the rib bun, the udon soup and crispy chicken. Can't say I liked the bun, the missu filling was overpowering all the ingredients and they were tiny like a starter, going for 41 NIS it's a bit expensive. The chicken was boring and lacked seasoning, so was the rice it was served on. The soup was nice, but again going for a 41 NIS for a bowl of noodle soup is pricy. The beer was only in .33ml glasses for 23NIS. I asked for the menu again and after bringing it to me, the waitress forgot to approach again and ask me if I would like to order something else.

A place I wouldn't go for again, and would not recommend to others.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

This is not a touristy place - it's a cool local hangout in a great location. Located right by the entrance to the Carmel Market. This place is a lot like an Israeli Momofuku.
Their signature dish are the buns but my favorite is actually the soups. They have the best Ramen soup and Fish Laksa soup in Tel-Aviv.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Small little place by the Carmel market. Asian cuisine......very good and quite inexpensive. We stopped by there about two weeks ago. Had the roll with salmon and rice sticks, root salad, crispy chicken and spare rib bun and for dessert tried the creme caramel with miso(!) - all lovely. Really lovely waitress and wonderful service. Looking forward to going again. Highly recommended!