“On beautiful Tel Aviv University campus”

Beit Hatfutsot - The Museum of the Jewish People
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Tel Aviv Museums Tour from Tel Aviv Hotels
Ranked #26 of 286 things to do in Tel Aviv
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Beit Hatfutsot, the Museum of the Jewish People, tells the ongoing and extraordinary story of the Jewish people. Beit Hatfutsot connects Jewish people to their roots and strengthens their personal and collective Jewish identity. Beit Hatfutsot conveys to the world the fascinating narrative of the Jewish people and the essence of the Jewish culture, faith, purpose and deed while presenting the contribution of world Jewry to humanity.
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Took a taxi here after a morning around Dizengoff Square to this museum. Our taxi driver had no idea where this museum was, so luckily we had a map to show him. The museum was much larger than we expected and very informative for us as non Jews. It doesn't cover the Holocaust in depth if that is what you are looking for. The signage is in English and Hebrew and we also opted for audio guides which help if you tire of reading. The museum personnel very kindly called a taxi for us to return to our hotel. This museum is outside the city center, but well worth the trip.

All reviews
in 53 reviews
in 82 reviews
in 23 reviews

Reviewed April 26, 2014

I had expected this to be a little depressing, focussing on trials and difficulties. How wrong I was. I loved the replicas of Synagogues from around the world and the depictions of daily life in different parts of the world - all so similar in some ways, but with distinct cultural and artistic flavours from different countries.

For anyone visiting Israel there is no use getting into a taxi and asking them to take you to the Museum of the Diaspora, which is the name often given in guide books. We have mentioned this place to people who were fluent in English and they haven't known what we were talking about. The moment I say "Beit Hatfutsot" they recognise it despite my poor pronunciation.

1  Thank Heather G
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I specifically scheduled my return to the US for late on Sunday, knowing this museum would not be open on Shabbat. I especially wanted to see the reproduction of the Chodorow ceiling. Splendid, but it was just part of an incredible museum, which didn't just focus on history and lament all of the lost communities, but celebrated how the Jews survived the destruction of both Temples and our dispersal by the Babylonians and Romans through the creation of synagogues, making our faith part of our lives, etc. With my grandparents and great grandparents coming from Europe, I was fascinated seeing how Jews lived and worshipped in the rest of the world.

Two reasons I didn't give five stars:

Museum emphasizes dispersed Jews coming back to Israel, and ignores our efforts to continue our traditions at home.

Limited coverage of American Jews. I highly recommend following this up with a visit to the National Museum of American Jewish History in Philly.

2  Thank Bill E
Reviewed April 9, 2014

years of Jewish diaspora in one place very intresting We visited this museum for 3 hours and yet much more was to be seen.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Also known as the "Diaspora Museum," this museum exposes you to an in-depth history of where, how, and why the Jewish people spread all over the world, how they maintained their culture and religion, and the many ways they adapted. It is a combination of history and anthropology and religion.

We made it a point to go to the museum at the recommendation of our daughter (age 20), who is NOT a museum goer, but reported that when she came as part of her BirthRight experience, it was the highlight of her visit to Tel Aviv.

When we entered the modest building that houses the museum, I thought, "this will be a quick trip - it looks like there will probably be only a few rooms, with some rudimentary stuff." I could not have been more wrong. I could have spent a week there, if I wanted to take in all that they have to offer. The historical journey winds through several floors, and they present the material through a variety of media; replicas (or originals) of artifacts, audio/visual rooms that have movies that describe the shtetls; dioramas, models of synagogues from all over the world, a music library, and much more.