“I Loved This Place!”

Ranked #78 of 100 Hotels in Tel Aviv
San Diego, California
“I Loved This Place!”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

The hotel was not great - not by any means. BUT, I LOVED the people who worked there, I loved the food - I felt safe and I would stay here again. I went to Israel as a young single woman to attend a wedding, I travelled alone and I walked everywhere and did so much. If you want to spend your money on shopping and not on a place you just sleep - then this was a great place. I had a bit of fear in getting from the airport to the hotel - they didn't speak English or Spanish - we did a bit of conversing in French. That was probably the only uncomfortable thing on this entire trip - except El Al not sending through my luggage. Do you know how hard it is to find a size 10 shoe in Israel! Those girls have some small feet.

Room Tip: None of it is good :) Sorry.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Charrie63

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The only thing very good in the hotel is its location, all the rest, in my opinion, is very poor. For example, as I am not used to have vegetables and salads in my breakfast, it was terrible for me, the only bread they served was either the black or the white loaf, which was always a bit frozen, so you did not have the chance to choose, you had to have toasts for breakfast. Only one day they served melon, on the other days they did not give the option of any fruit and every time some thing finished, we had to ask to the employees to replace it, but the employees either did not speak English or did not want to understand, so communication was difficult. I realized that they spoke Russian. The places where the breakfast was served were not very clean. Another thing that called my attention were the towels that were used in the bathroom, they were small and hardly could dry us, despite it they were so old and used that they had stains on them; however we could notice that they had been washed and were clean, but who wants to use a stained towel? I don't. The bedrooms were not cleaned adequately. People at the reception desk was OK, but I can't say that they were friendly. For US$ 30 more my friend and I moved to another hotel (Maxim) that was very, very good and on the same street, but at the promenade, a very good location either. For this reason I think that the price of the hotel was not very attractive after all.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Melisande M

Travelers are raving about these Tel Aviv hotels

TEL AVIV
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This hotel is well-placed close to beaches and the main thoroughfares of Hayarkon, Gordon and Frischman in North Central Tel-Aviv. I stayed in a single room, while my sister and niece shared a double. I found my room comfortable and pleasant, but my sister said her bed was hard and she found it difficult to sleep. As for me, I was disturbed by noise all night from the constant stream of traffic outside (Hayarkon is extremely busy and noisy), but as I had asked for a room with a sea view (and I did have a very nice view), I relegated this to the realm of "you win some, you lose some!" (Hayarkon runs parallel to the sea so, inevitably, a view overlooking the sea will also overlook Hayarkon in this location). I tried to drown out the traffic noise with air conditioning, but this too was pretty noisy! My sister had also asked for a sea view, but was told that by the time we arrived (very late in the day) the rooms with good views had all been taken - this, even though we had booked a full six months previously! To be fair, they did try to find a room with a sea view the next day, but as the hotel was chock-a-block, this was unsuccessful.
I found my room clean though somewhat worn. This did not bother me - as long as a place is clean and reasonably comfortable, that's fine with me. The bathroom was lovely: spacious, with good towels and no free shampoo or other "gifts", but excellent dispensers of hand and shower gel at sink and bath respectively, and a good shower.
Breakfast was idiosyncratic: a typical Israeli buffet, with various salads, but on some days it was excellent, while on other days less so, but one could always find something decent to eat. Coffee was another matter (instant only, it seemed), so after the first day I settled for cold drinks.
One real gripe I do have: though I don't normally bother with TV in hotel rooms, on this occasion I did feel like watching occasionally. The television seemed to have only five channels: three in Russian (!! - I think we were the only non-Russians in the hotel!!!), one in Hebrew (which I understand somewhat and watched a bit), and only one in English. This, however, was the grim and ghastly American Fox News Channel - fine if your views are to the right of Hitler; less so if you prefer a more balanced view of world events!
In summary, this is a good choice for a well-placed and reasonably comfortable "budget" hotel if you are flexible enough not to be perturbed by (relatively minor) annoyances.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

2 Thank 186225Eva
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Staff were helpful and friendly. Room was fine and very clean.
Breakfast was OK. Location is very good.
I have stayed at the Olympia many years ago and can honestly say that it has improved no end.
It is now very good value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

1 Thank Kay B
Reviewed June 8, 2012

1. The hotel is situated just 5-10 min walk from the beach and 10-15 min walk from a few busy streets and shopping centers.
2. Breakfast- considering that they try to serve according to kosher diet, they only served dairy products for breakfast. Don't expect sausages. We had great selection of natural yogurts, cheeses, cornflakes and salads. Coffee was not great.
3. Do not rely on the wake-up calls from reception- make sure you set your own alarm.
4. Rooms are clean but old so handles or sliding wardrobe doors may be broken like it was in our room.
5. Staff (from house keepers to cooks and the hotel manager) is very friendly and polite, especially the Russian receptionist Tatiana. She was very helpful and and gave us really good tips re getting around the city and other places in Israel.
6. If you plan to travel around during your stay in Tel-Aviv and all you need a hotel room for is to keep your clothes, take a shower and sleep- this hotel is perfect for the money you pay.
7. Beds were clean and towels got changed every day.

It is an average 2-3 stars hotel and for the money you pay there isn't much complaining. There were 2 outstanding bits in my opinion- polite staff and location, the rest is on the average mark.

Room Tip: Always rely on your own alarm clock
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Wandererabovethesea
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Not too bad for a hotel, but not great either. Average D+. Costing between US$100 - $119 per night in peak season, it's at par for its 3-star rating in expensive Tel Aviv.

Pros: It's not exactly a glamorous hotel, but its close proximity to the beach is a big plus. Having free internet in the lobby doesn't hurt either. Desk service is great.

Cons: Do not trust the housekeeping staff. My leather jacket got stolen right out of the room closet. And, if you either misplace or leave behind belongings, they won't bother returning it.
I know this can happen anywhere but, trust me, this did not happen to me in Tokyo, Bangkok,
Sydney, Vancouver or anywhere else. Moreover, I expected better from their breakfast.

Verdict: Adequate for one night -- two tops -- but, for longer stays, there are better options in the city.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank Eternal_Nomad_12
Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed May 1, 2012

The smell in the room was disgusting.
We was shocked by blankets in the room - they was look like blankets in old russian trains. Believe me - russian trains is nasty much more, so hotel blankets is looks like train blankets too. No teapot in the room, no free coffee.
Service is impolite at all. Receptionists are really rude.
They always keep the door to the hotel closed so u have to ring the bell all the time. Its annoying.
And we had tasteless free breakfast. No fresh juice, no fresh fruits. Coffee was the worst of all I've ever tasted.
Yes, price is low, but u will be right if u choose more expensive hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple