“All is well that ends well”
Review of Orchid Tel Aviv

Orchid Tel Aviv
Ranked #54 of 101 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Reviewed November 5, 2013

After meticulous searching and comparing I booked two rooms for us at Tel Aviv's Park Plaza Orchid. Although the confirmation was about two rooms with side sea view, we were badly disappointed upon arrival to find that our room was in the back wing of the hotel and offered limited views of the sea and almost unlimited view of the neighbouring building. Our disappointment grew when we discovered that the windows did not operate properly, and nor did the lock to the door. The sheets were torn and it was only after repeated pleas that the door to our interconnecting rooms was unlocked. So the first morning we voiced our frustration to Oren, the manager on duty, who wasted no time to exchange our rooms for a suite on the 15th floor in the main wing with two pleasant bedrooms, in addition to a comfortable living area and a stupendous corner balcony with full view of the Mediterranean. With perfect bathing weather, delicious breakfasts (featuring everything one can dream of, from Western comfort food to MIddle Easter delights), fun-filled days, our stay could not have been more pleasant. The bycicles available for free are a nice touch although some of them need urgent maintenance (and we have used 4 on two consecutive days). I would certainly recommend the hotel but only if the rooms in the refurbished main wing are offered.

Room Tip: Room 1506 was great
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
lauren z, Manager at Orchid Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

I am writing in regard to your recent stay with us here at the Park Plaza Orchid Tel Aviv Hotel,
I would like to thank you for your positive feedback and kind compliments regarding our Hotel rooms , staff and services.
We are very happy to know you enjoyed the complimentary service of bicycle rental.
We are offering several categories of rooms from Standard rooms with city view up to luxury suites.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed there 2 nights; Cheched in in the middle of the night and got a room in the one of the first floors (2nd from the lobby I believe). My room was tiny, dirty (stains on the chair, holes in the sheets) and facing a building under complete renovation, just 5 meters away.

I asked immediately to get another room as the one I got wasn't really in line with expectations and more importantly I was certain that the works in the building I was facing were going to make my stay a disaster.

I didn't get another room , so after going to bed around 4.30AM I was waken up - as expected - by the works...basically I got jackhammered in the head starting from early morning.

The following day after several discussions at the front desk and after showing the videos of what was like staying in that room, I finally got another room.

I asked not to be charged for the first night - I was not informed about what I was booking and it was a room they shouldn't sell untill the works are over. Nobody would pay for a night like that one. Result was that I got fully charged

Dear,
I would like to thank you for bringing your feedback to our attention.
Like the other Park Plaza Hotels we are dedicated to provide a high level of service and standards. Therefore I was very surprised at your experience here.
I deeply apologies for any inconvenience you may had.
I will appreciate if you will contact me directly in order to find a way to solve this issue with you. We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you back in the future and assure you be able to enjoy in a spoiled and relaxed atmosphere.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I stayed at the Orchid on a deal which included use of the Executive lounge.. Great breakfast with several selections and fresh orange juice that you squeeze yourself. Good service, the girls at the front desk are friendly and professional. The free bikes are new and good to go around the beaches. The lounge in front of the beach is a good place to have a drink. The size of the rooms are ok, but the corridors require some renovation the aging is visible. The SPA is another good feature to relax.

Room Tip: Choose rooms closer to the beach side.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
lauren z, Manager at Orchid Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I and my parents have stayed in this hotel in mid-June 2013 for a 2 night stay. Overall the experience was OK, nothing really fancy but the main issue was with the handling of our reservation.

We had booked a 2-bedroom suite and had the reservation confirmed, but when we checked in, the front desk clerk tried everything he could not to deliver the due reservation and attempted to deceive us by stating that 2 adjacent rooms were in fact the 2-bedroom suite... It was quite clear even if they never admitted it that they had in fact resold the room and were trying to make up for it. In the end, we reached an agreement as they finally gave us a 3 bedroom suite (we only used 2 bedrooms but it s still better than nothing...) with a discount which I think made up for the incident, and anyway we only stayed 2 nights so it was not really a big deal.

The hotel itself has a very convenient location at the exact middle of the tayelette, just between Gordon and Banana Beach and in front of La Mer. The room had a very nice view on the beach, with also side views on Yaffo, and two large terraces. The suite itself was pretty dated, somehow clean (with minor stains here and there), but the biggest disappointments were the bathrooms which reminded me more of a motel during my trips to the Grand Canyon than a 4 star hotel. Broken lights, plastic bathtub, cheap bathroom baskets and rusty shower heads were not really pleasant.

Other than that, breakfast was decent, and the free renting of bicycles a plus for anyone who is willing to make a tour around the city

Room Tip: One building is more renovated than the other, pick the good one (I don t remember which one though...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stay away from this hotel unless you don't mind a gas leak odor throughout the hotel (even on a windy day), shortage of towels, toilette paper, tissues, dirty bathroom floor, dust, unclean windows, and on and on. This is an old hotel, the rooms are small (like cruise ship cabins), the decor is dated, but the view from the lobby is nice. The pool is small and not very nice. No free amenities make up for the uncleanliness of the rooms. What was on the floor - stayed on the floor (shower cap). It was confusing getting down to the parking lot. There was a barking dog in the room next to ours (#1510). On Saturday - no housekeeping services and hardly hot water for the morning shower. We ran every day on the beach which means more than one shower a day, but never had enough dry towels. Only once (we stayed there for 8 days 10/20-28) we had a floor mat by the shower but the shower was such that much of the water ended up on the floor, so everything was wet. My impression was that because of the good location - management doesn't much care about the complaints. You can tell from previous reviews that management sends out the same automated response whether the review was favorable or not. We booked this hotel through Expedia and prepaid for it. The package also included a car rental from Budget for a week (advertised) for $70 which ended up being &313 when all the taxes were added, so it was false advertising. We would have been better off renting from another company. The gas odor was the most worrisome. When I mentioned it to different staff they said "it's been like this for months'. You could smell it in the lobby, in the elevators, in the garage, outside the hotel - everywhere.
Did I mention the cockroach on the bathroom floor? The cleaners didn't wipe the floor clean so no surprise there, it was pretty disgusting. Management wake up! I'd remove a whole star from your rating until and unless you start listening to the guests and making the necessary improvements, starting with the cleanliness.

Room Tip: The rooms are divided on both sides of the lobby. We stayed in room #1510 (not sea view). To get to...
1  Thank RACHEL E

Dear,
I would like to thank you for bringing your feedback to our attention.
I deeply apologies for any inconvenience you may had.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have stayed here several times for business and my last stay was October 2013.

Check in is efficient but try to get a room in same tower as the breakfast room. The rooms are a little better and it's one lift down to breakfast. If you are in the other tower you have to get a lift down to floor 3. Walk through to the lobby and get another lift down to the restaurant level.
The rooms are basic but do have a large TV. There is only a couple of news channels in English and one of the movie channels but there is no way to know what movies are on and when. There is an HDMI port though if you want to plug your own device in.
The bed is comfortable but a lot of the doubles are in fact just two singles pushed together with individual duvets. There is mini bar but as usual the prices are ridiculous. However, there is a shop opposite the hotel that sells drinks and snacks and is open until about 11pm. Wi-fi is free as are international calls which is a good service to offer.

The bathroom is quite small and only has a shower in most rooms. The shower is a wet room and floods the entire bathroom when you use it so I suggest that you roll up a towel and place it across the shower entrance, otherwise you will be standing in water when using the sink.

The bar is nice with an outside patio overlooking the sea. Here, there is also a very small pool that is open only from 10 - 6 so it is no good for an early morning swim before work. Room service is good only for a light snack. They offer pizza and salads only though and absolutely no meat. Overall the food on offer is a pretty poor selection. Breakfast is good though with a selection of hot eggs etc, pastries, cereal and salads.
Overall the rooms are on a par with other hotels in the same area but the food offering is not as good.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
lauren z, Manager at Orchid Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Just returned after having 5 nights at Plaza Orchid. Room was very small but ok, the tea making was welcome. Bathroom was ok i suppose - just. The bed was great! large and comfy and good pillows. We did come to spend much time in the room so it was fine. Very good location and opposite a lovely beach.
The staff were very friendly and very helpfull.
Enjoyed the breakfast and i ate at the lobby bar on 2 lunctimes, can recommend the salad nicoise as its the best i have ever had! The prices for meals are good too.
The one thing i would say is i dont agree with staff using the same lifts as the guests - i didnt like this at all.
The seating in the lobby area was very dirty.
Had a great trip, used Viator travel for the daily trips and there were brilliant. So much to do and see i ran out of time. Hopefully i will be lucky enough to return. The day trip to the Sea of Galilee was amazing! the river Jordan is truely beautiful.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
lauren z, Manager at Orchid Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013