“Pretty nice hotel, but...”
Review of Orchid Tel Aviv

Orchid Tel Aviv
Ranked #54 of 101 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Stayed here for four nights on a business trip to Tel Aviv. This was a nice hotel, but not up to the quality standards for a four-star accommodation in other countries. Breakfast wasn't included in my room rate and I didn't want to pay $25, so I can't comment on the breakfast.

The good:
1. Location
2. Price
3. Comfy bed and nice furniture

The bad:
1. Service wasn't very courteous or helpful.
2. Maintenance and upkeep were a little rough around the edges.

When I arrived, as the only guest in the lobby, the clerks were looking at each other like they wanted to flip a coin to decide who would help me. When I returned to the lobby a bit later to report that the wi-fi wasn't working in the room, the clerk told me she'd known about this problem for a couple of days, and that I should mention it to the manager the next morning. (The wi-fi finally returned to service the third day of my stay.)

The staff were helpful when I had a computer question, and in giving me an extra 1/2 hour to assemble my belongings and check out of my room.

The hotel looks like the owners spent a lot of money on lighting, furniture and fixtures. But there were obvious stains on the carpet in the hallway, scuffs on the walls in my room, and pieces of the bathroom ceiling that didn't fit together right. The shower looked expensive, but the temperature control required turning in opposite directions for hot water depending on whether one was using the shower or the tub. The shower also only had a half glass wall on it, soaking the rest of the bathroom every time.

You'll see these things in my photos, along with my friend the dirty bathroom vent. I call it my friend because it kept me company -- providing me with conversation from someone else's room, the loud sound of raindrops hitting the roof, and plenty of second-hand cigarette smoke smell -- throughout my stay.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel because of the location and the price, but don't assume 4-star means luxury.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank childbride84

Reviewed November 17, 2011

The hotel is close to the beach and walking distance to many of Tel Aviv sights and the old city. Would stay again

Room Tip: Excellent location. Would stay there again
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I arrived on a midnight flight from Amsterdam, at 4am at the hotel and was told that the only available room was a smoking room even though I had specifically requested a non-smoking room in my booking.
The room (#901) is old and not very appealing, it does not seem very clean at all. The good trick of checking the mirror when you have a shower and the bathroom is steamed up made me think that the mirror has not been cleaned for a VERY long time. This room also has no bath in the bathroom, only a shower.
The windows are not isolating at all and all traffic and other noise from the street is as loud as if you are sleeping at street level.
Breakfast was not included in my room rate, so I signed for the charge in the morning (9h30am), the breakfast room (restaurant?) has a great location, but it was a total chaos and a lot of the food in the buffet was plainly no longer available. Very disappointing.
Having a shirt ironed the same day is at extra charge, and if you want to iron your own shirt you have to go to a disgusting small backroom on the 10th floor and iron it on an old iron board.
Good is the free wifi. And the pool would have been great too, but unfortunately it was not available (empty).
When arriving back to the room after a day of work to freshen up at 18h00, I found the room not cleaned yet ! And when I called to enquire about this I was told they would look into it.
I am sure there are better rooms in this hotel, there must be - if you read the other reviews. But my experience (so far - I have 2 more nights to go!) is disappointing, to say the least.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2011

My wife and I stumbled upon this place a few years ago when we were with relatives in Israel, and wanted to experience Tel Aviv nightlife and some beach days. We were so happy that we found the Park Plaza Orchid. We just went back to Israel a few months ago and stayed here for most of the trip, except for time in Jerusalem and Haifa. The breakfasts were the best of the trip, even compared to the other Israeli hotels we stayed at, as Israeli breakfasts are generally better and more extravagant than other global destinations. The water views from the lobby, breakfast room, and our rooms were breathtaking.

From the hotel we could walk virtually anywhere in Tel Aviv. We didn't need the rental car that sat in the garage for a week because we took taxis when we went to dinner to avoid dealing with parking. Everything was so convenient, so central and we had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Ask for high floors, it is a busy area so the higher you are the quieter it will be
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
PPOrchidgm, General Manager at Orchid Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2011

Dear Guest

We were delighted to read such fantastic comments!

Thank you very much on behalf of all the staff here at the Park Plaza Orchid Tel Aviv Hotel , not only for staying with but to give us such great feedback.

It was a pleasure to have you at the Park Plaza Orchid and We look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you back to the area!

Lior Gabay

Reviewed October 25, 2011

I am just my second night into a 10-day stay at the Park Plaza Orchid, but thought that I would share my impressions so far.

This is my second time in Israel. On my first business trip here, I stayed at both Dan hotel's in Tel Aviv. Though considerably more expensive (from what I can remember), those two hotels didn't offer the same high comfort or service levels as I am now experiencing at the PPC.

From what I can tell, most of the sea-front hotels in Tel Aviv are at least slightly worn. PPC is too. But, not to the extent that I found the other previously mentioned hotels to be. The furniture in my room is good and the view to the sea quite decent (I am in a studio on the 8th floor). Despite not being very high off the ground (the first floor of rooms is the 4th), I can't hear the traffic below at all. The service so far has been great and check-in was efficient and trouble-free. Just getting used to the time difference, I got up at 10:30 AM local time this morning. I immediately dragged myself to breakfast at one of the many local nice coffee/pastry shops and, when I got back about 45 minutes later, my room had already been made up. Best of all for business trippers like me, the wifi in the room is free and the signal is great (i.e. full bars 24-7). I'm using Skype for calls back home, but the hotel does offer free international calling to guests. Must be internet based, and so not too expensive for them to provide....but still, a rare added touch.

All-in-all this hotel has been a very pleasant surprise. The rate is one of the most reasonable I found in the area as well. Any way, for what it's worth, I highly recommend this hotel to my fellow business travellers.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank SteveKCarlisle
PPOrchidgm, Director of Sales at Orchid Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2011

Dear Guest

It is a pleasure to have you at Park Plaza Orchid Tel Aviv hotel and i will be happy to meet you personally.

We look forward hearing from you and welcoming you back when your travels bring you back to the area!

Ronit Fredman

Reviewed October 14, 2011

clean rooms - good view - large windows - free internet - free international calls - free bikes
100 mt from the beach - helpful stuff
the pool is small but nice deck

Room Tip: we preferred the view from the north side
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
PPOrchidgm, General Manager at Orchid Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2011

Dear Guest

We were delighted to read such fantastic comments!

Thank you very much on behalf of all the staff here at the Park Plaza Orchid Tel Aviv hotel, not only for staying with but to give us such great feedback.

It was a pleasure to have you at the ParkPlaza Orchid Tel Aviv Hotel and We look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you back to the area!

Lior Gabay

Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed at the Plaza Orchid for ten nights. Although the location of the hotel is in proximity to all, if you are looking for more of a layed back quite scene this is not the place to be. Besides the all over ongoing costruction in the area (at all hours of the night), the hotel itself is undergoing remodel modifications which made it extremely noisy. When we asked the front desk they advised us that there are no laws in Tel Aviv that did not permit construction after certain hours.
The staff at the hotel demonstarted good costumer service although sometimes we felt we had to work extra hard to get it. The girls at the bar area were actually the only "real" friendly staff and made amazing cappuchinos.
Be aware that when booking a studio it really is a small shoe box. The photos that are up in the website are deceiving. Room upkeep was below average. We had to call several times to rquest for basics like toilet paper. Sheets were not changed regularly either.
Moreover the cleaning staff was very unfriendly when we requested anything.
Overall the hotel is average. I recommend paying a bit more and getting the addequte service and a more comforatble room.

Room Tip: All around construction going on including in the hotel....it's noisy everywhere!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SanDiego92128
lauren z, Manager at Orchid Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

I would like to thank you for your positive feedback and kind compliments regarding our Hotel rooms , staff and services.
We are very happy to know you enjoyed the complimentary service of bicycle rental.
We are offering several categories of rooms from Standard rooms with city view up to luxury suites.
Thank you for staying with us and hope to see you soon.

Lauren Zhavi