“Bad experience, bad service”

Alexander Tel-Aviv Hotel
Ranked #32 of 100 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We have booked this hotel for one night, one room with 2 bedrooms for us and our one year old baby.

The weather was not so good, it was raining and there was a lot of wind. When we got to the hotel we noticed there was a strong noise of wind whistling through the windows, so we called the reception and they said they will take care of it while we'll be out of the room. In the mean time we took showers (I won't even mention in details here the smell that came from the bathroom once we opened the hot water) and went to a wedding. When we came back, nothing was done! The whistles didn't disappears, it even got worst! We didn't sleep the all night we were there and of course our one year old son suffered also the all night. In the morning we complained again and the receptionist offered to give us a late check out (why would I stay longer in an apartment that is still whistling?!?) . We asked to speak with the manager and the manager NEVER came! She was in an important meeting and was suppose to call us back but she never DID! So we called in the evening after to speak with her, they hanged up the phone on us twice! If you are looking for a nice experience with good service this is definitely not the place for you!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank CGG_10
Alexander63505, Front Office Manager at Alexander Tel-Aviv Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear CGG_10,

Thank you for your feedback. I regret to learn about the challenges you have experienced. I have sent you a private e-mail message and I hope to hear from you soon.
Thank you.

There are newer reviews for Alexander Tel-Aviv Hotel

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Thank you Selim for taking such good care of us. We loved the location next to the beach and the new port. The apartment was just perfect, the breakfast on the roof top was great. We look forward to see all the renovations done next year.

Stayed: March 2014
Alexander63505, Front Office Manager at Alexander Tel-Aviv Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Dear Difese,

Following your recent stay here at The Alexander Tel-Aviv, I would like to thank you for having taken the time to post your comments.

It is our philosophy to ensure that we provide our guests with the highest standards of product and service at all times. I am delighted to know that we met all your expectations during your visit with us and I would like to thank you for such a warm comments about our employees.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again to The Alexander Tel-Aviv in the near future, when I will be pleased to enhance your stay further.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We booked this apartment Hotel as we wanted a 2 bedroom accommodation. It in a great location at the north end of the city next to Independence Park and the beach. We were upgrade from the 2nd floor to the 7th floor on arrival, as we were staying a week. Which was great especially as they were renovating the 1st floor. An excellent breakfast is included and served in a nice 7th floor restaurant with views across the city. You can also get lunch,dinner or drink here late into the evening. Rooms are all of a high standard and with great decor. You have a fridge, sink, Nesspreso machine but no cooking facility - but great for take out or cold meals. All the staff are friendly and helpful. The bar on the ground floor is not owned by the hotel and as such you can't charge drinks to your room, but they take cards and it's a happening place on a Friday Night. You are close to the beach and the port with it's restaurants and bars so a great location. There is a gym and business centre would have been great if they had a pool, but with the beach so close this does not matter. A good choice to stay which I would pick again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Alexander63505, Front Office Manager at Alexander Tel-Aviv Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear Grahampatterson,

Thank you so much for taking some time and writing such a glowing review on TripAdvisor from your recent visit to The Alexander Tel-Aviv.
We very appreciate your comments and we all very proud in what we doing and it feels great receiving reviews like yours.
I am very pleased that you felt comfortable in your suite and everything was in order.
It will be my pleasure to inform you that, accually we are building an amazing indoors swimming pool and health Spa in Alexander.
I do hope I will have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Alexander Tel-Aviv in very near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stayed for a full 7 nights in an Executive Superior Suite with 2 rooms. Price of $2700 USD for the week so not at all unreasonable. I really want to write a five star review as I loved the location and thought the rooms were super. Only the service standards hold it back, but that's important, so hopefully this is a fair and balanced review.

On the plus points :

- location is brilliant

- rooms are well appointed and 7th floor has great rooms and views

- night front desk manager really good and helpful

- rooms were clean

- bar downstairs (not part of hotel) was great

- good value overall

On the areas that hold it back :

- staff service at breakfast was very poor indeed. Several of the staff had a real ''can't do'' attitude and made no effort to welcome us or be polite. In fact, I would say they were in the wrong job completely. Everything was difficult and unfriendly. After seven days of eating in there, you might expect at least 'good morning' or 'hello'. They actively avoided any human contact with us.

- Katia handled our checkout. Not sure what we had done to upset her as we didn't see her until that last moment. Clearly she didn't want to be at work that day so we got a lot of slamming of credit cards etc. She expected me to pay the bill without seeing it first, and got really quite feisty when I asked if I could see it before being processed. Surely that's not unreasonable is it ? Not a nice send off, and no 'thanks for staying' or 'safe journey'. After a week, you might expect a degree of pleasantry

- need to get info right. We had a written letter given to us when we arrived - signed by the front desk manager and the hotel manager - advising we could get breakfast at 6.45 am. When we arrived at two minutes to seven we got the most extreme hostility from the always-surly waiter who told us it did NOT say that, it is 7am strict. I politely told him that we had been told 6.45 in the letter and he flatly denied that, saying this was not true. At check in we were told we could charge items to our suite at the downstairs bar, notwithstanding its seperate ownership. This was not the case and was just wrong. No big deal, but it would be good if staff knew the correct information to give customers

- the business centre was a shame. It is nice to have the facility but on the four occasions we tried to use it the coffee machine was broken or awaiting repair/cleaning out on every single occasion. That is just a bit sloppy since it would not take long to do and just needs better oversight.

- we tried to grab cocktails in the upstairs bar but gave up waiting at the bar when no-one would serve us. There seemed to be a priority given to friends and locals as they were getting served quickly whereas we were invisible to the staff. Not a big problem as there are plenty of other nice places nearby but if the preference is to not serve international guests perhaps it would be better to make it clear that it is more of a 'friends and family' bar to avoid misunderstanding ?

- minor things such as there being 3 guests but the cleaning staff only leaving two towels each time is just a bit minor, but means we had to keep phoning to disturb them again which is inefficient for the staff

Overall, the suites are lovely and I would stay again except for the sour attitude of some of the staff who feel they are doing you a favour by doing anything. I realise that at $2700 it is in the Economy Rooms territory for a week's stay, so the hotel is in the 'bargain' zone on price, and therefore it is probably pitching for a 3 star rating. I would have happily paid more to stay here and have better service from the stroppy staff which marred an otherwise lovely accomodation.

Hopefully that is fair feedback which reflects the balanced view I have of this hotel.

It has great infrastructure, great credentials, great location just ''bad attitude'' staff.

Thanks for reading.

Room Tip: 7th floor suites are great.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Mazi R, General Manager at Alexander Tel-Aviv Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Dear GoodFood-Wine,

Thank you very much for your honest and kind review on Tripadvisor..

We take all comments serious and we will try to correct in all areas mentioned in your review.
I would like to reassure you that these issues have been communicated to the respective department managers who will take appropriate steps to avoid repetition of those incidents.

I will ensure that the incidents you encountered are recorded in your guest history database for your future stays.

I would like to take the opportunity to prove that we can meet and exceed your expectations and provide the high level of service and Facilities for which The Alexander Tel-Aviv is renowned.

I would appreciate it, if you would contact me personally if I can be of any further assistance.

best regards,
Mazi Revach

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Just returned from two stays at this hotel in February, each for two nights.
This was a formerly lousy hotel that is undergoing substantial renovation and could be a great hotel in the future.

The good:
(1) The Rooms. Some of the nicest suites I've ever stayed in. Each room was masterfully and tastefully decorated with beautiful amenities. There were two televisions, leather sofa, stylish lamps, a great kitchen with modern appliances and an espresso machine, etc. These suites look like million dollar apartments in NYC. And, they have city or beautiful ocean views!

(2) The breakfast. Wonderful rooftop restaurant with a lovely Israeli breakfast (always best in the world). They had nice staff, good quality dishes, and a great assortment. Eat outdoors overlooking the ocean and it's heavenly.

(3) Location. Hard to beat this spot for a seasoned traveler. The first time tourist may feel it is not in the heart of the beach area, but they would be wrong. This is the true Tel Aviv beach area (where the locals go) and steps to the seaport. Perfect.

(4) The manager (Selim) and the evening desk clerk (M. Kalim) were helpful, friendly, and fabulous. Great staff members worthy of a great hotel.

The bad:

(1) The rest of the staff. They were generally unfriendly. This was not consistent with the hotel's potential. The women were unpleasant to speak with (except Katia) and the evening manager (not Selim) was not helpful.

(2) Misleading photographs. The website leads you to believe more renovations are done than are actually done! Where is the white pool table? The white sofas? None of this was actually there and the lobby was nice, but not as depicted.

(3) The outside of the hotel looks dated and is across the street from an empty lot. You won't have great confidence when you first pull up here.

(4) Little thing, but other beach hotels in Tel Aviv (e.g. the Shalom Hotel and Relax) give you a beach bag and some waters when you go to the beach. This hotel should but doesn't. And, the beach towels they provide (which was nice) are too small for beach towels.

Overall, we'll go back. The manager (Selim) and Menon made up for the rest of the staff and the rooms were just so amazing!

I hope the hotel reads this and takes our comments to heart. This could be a world class hotel.

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong. The rooms are unbelievable and unbeatable.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Supermazelman

Dear Supermazelman,

Thank you so much for your feedback.
We take all comments serious and we try to correct in all areas mentioned in the comments.
Sorry to hear that the Ciela Restaurant and the service at the reception desk was not up to our usual high standards for your last visit.
We have a new F&B and Reception Teams on board and we try to improve our services at all times.
The hotel lobby is changing and we are going to have a new look. in afew weeks the renovation in the lobby will be completed and Alexander will have the most amazing look in Tel-Aviv as a boutique hotel.
I do hope I can welcome you back on your next visit to Tel-Aviv. Please let me know when you coming back and I will look after your reservations and Welcome you in person.
Thank you once again for your honest feedback.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I have enjoyed of my visit in your woderfull hote. the dining room was excellent. the reception staff was charming/ the ac in the hotel rooms have to be improved a little bit. who drew our attention is the doorman jhonny who gave us a worm welcome/ gave us quick answers/ gentleman and thanks to that person we will come back again soon.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Alex S,

Thank you very much for yourn kind review in Tripadvisor.
Relationship hospitality is so important to the associates and I, so It gives me great pleasure to read that this was a key element towards your enjoyment.
once again, thank you for your endorsement and we look forward to welcoing you back.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

This hotel goes out of its way to be both personable and professional. Every time we went out the doorman addressed us by name, the receptionist not only checked us in but took us to our room. Beds were very comfortable; bathroom was excellent, room service fast and efficient. This was one of the nicest hotels we have stayed in, and look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Maayan G,

Thank you for your taking the time to post a review of yor experince at the Alexander Terl-Aviv.
It gives me great pleasure that the hotel has exceeded your expectations.
We pride ourselves on our service here at the Alexander and I delighted to know that you truly valued the attentions you received from our team members.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Alexander Tel-Aviv in the future

Kind Regards,