“Old and Dirty”

Ranked #91 of 100 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Athens
“Old and Dirty”
Reviewed February 15, 2009

This hotel was nothing like the website promises.
Having arrived very late at night and seeing how dirty it was we wanted to leave right away. The staff said we can't leave and we have to pay the three nights we booked and there was no refund. Next day when we asked the reception they said that this was their policy because it was appartments. So there was no choice to leave and go to a decend hotel. The elevator and entrance was dirty, the wall in the rooms were falling apart and the bathroom in the delux appartment was so tiny with a window that couldn't close.
After all this the woman in the reception got very angry with us and told us off when we asked to separate our beds (they had the two beds put together as a double bed with one sheet). We had to make our own beds in the middle of the night after she gave us two separate sheets.

Stayed February 2009
1 Thank Athensfili

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London
Reviewed February 11, 2009

very good & located apartment hotel.
polite and helpful staff and reasonable price.
the best you can get for your money in tel aviv.
I did my reservation at the web at: www.thehome.co.il

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Ben-Dongen
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed February 9, 2008

We stayed in a studio apartment on the top floor for two nights. The apartment was very nice. The bed was comfortable and the place was clean. We even had a partial view of the sea through the huge window. The location was perfect. We never needed to take a taxi anywhere. We were a short walk from the beach and there were a ton of restaurants within walking distance. I would definitely stay here again if I came back to Tel Aviv.

• Liked — Great Location
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Nenya
Ireland
Reviewed January 23, 2008

We had a great vacation at THE HOME apartment hotel. The place is located in front of the Med sea, and had all we could ask for 75$ per night (couple price). There is a nice & helpful web site at www.thehome.co.il.
We found it pretty clean and homey, and we will be back again for sure.
A delightful apartment hotel with excellent service + the best location in Tel Aviv.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank Linda_Amerson
lovsng1281
Reviewed January 8, 2008

Based on the reviews here, I booked at The Home. The price of $60 a night was very reasonable for expensive Tel Aviv but this place was so awful we actually checked out the same day we checked in. The room pictured on the website looks amazing compared to the room you get. Our room was filthy, dirt on the walls, hair in the sink and a strong sewage smell coming from the shower drain. When I complained, I was told it was not a 5 star hotel and they gave me a bottle of lavender scented cleaner "in case it smells again" after they sprayed the drain. After arguing back and forth for a refund, I was given the cash paid on arrival back the following day. More arguing was needed for getting my desposit back. They claimed I had to cancel 2 weeks prior to get it back. Since I didn't know the room would smell like sewage 2 weeks ago, they finally decided to refund it. They didn't want a bad rap. While I appreciate that I got my money back I don't appreciate the false advertising on their website and I would not advise anyone to stay there. You'd be better off at a hostel.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank lovsng1281

Travelers are raving about these Tel Aviv hotels

Paris
Reviewed January 6, 2008

For about 70$ per day, this is the best hotel bargain in Tel Aviv.
We have been in this hotel for 7 days during December 2007. The hotel is very nicely decorated, safe, clean and located 100 meters from the beech. The hotel is located in the hart of TA, one block from the beach and promanade and a few minutes walk from all places of interest in TA.
Our room was very comfortable, newly renovated and fully equiped with everithing we need for a gread holiday. Every room has AC, TV with cables, bathroom, telephone.
The staff is very friendly and helpful and there is 24h attendance.
We'll be more than glad to be back there next year :-)

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank MobiDick
NJ
Reviewed November 26, 2007

We read the reviews here and decided to proceed cautiously. We read that there were some cleanliness issues, but that otherwise it was a fine hotel, near the beach, and inexpensive.

In practice, this hotel was ultra-dirty. To make my review 10 times better they only need to clean this hotel. The floors were very dirty. If you dropped some water on the floor and wiped up the water, the tissue would brown. Behind the spare blankets in the closet was mildew. In the bathroom: a general sense of uncleanliness.

I normally stay in inexpensive hotels. For example, if there's a Marriot, Courtyard by Marriot, and Fairfield Inn (also a Marriott property), I'll usually pick the Fairfield Inn: it's the cheapest and yet it is always clean and comfortable.

The Home Hotel was cheap, but was not clean or comfortable.

What's certain is that the hotel has potential. We had a small suite and most of the things in the suite were in good shape. But can't they do a better job cleaning? Scrub the floor, clean the closets... CLEAN.

I guess we should have figured it out when one reviewer below indicated that the cleaning staff left a pile of used little hotel soaps near the bathroom sink. If they think that people want to use a stranger's used hotel soap, then they have a wierd concept of cleanliness.

The positives: the beach is 2 blocks away and is fantastic. (that's the one reason I gave it 2 stars instead of 1) Obviously, the price is also good... but you don't get anything for it.

I would not stay here again. Indeed, we left early when my son appeared to develop a rash from the place. With all hotels in Tel Aviv booked solid, we went to a bed and breakfast in a small town. The stuff was much older that the stuff in the Home Hotel, but it was clean and it was comfortable.

I wish we would have paid the extra cash and slept at the Metropolitan or Alexander Suites.

3 Thank Klockner