“Great vacation”

Ranked #60 of 100 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Jerusalem, Israel
“Great vacation”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Thank toy so much for a great vacation! Merav was amazing! We loved every moment! The food was unbelievable, and Merav did her best to make us feel like we are most wanted in the hotel! We go to lots of vacations, but I can not remember when I had so much fun! I can not wait to go back to this hotel again! Irecomend this hotel very much - you would not be disappointed!!!

Room Tip: high floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Loughborough
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Spent three nights here, three family members sharing a room for three. Arrived a couple of hours early but could check in and settle into our room. Big effort made to make us welcome, including wine and apples. A third bed was brought straight away but we opted for a proper mattress on the foldout. Room big enough for three. Balcony small but third chair brought on request. Most other requests dealt with promptly. Air con good and bathroom facilities good with plenty of hot water and a great shower but some may like a plug in the sink. We stayed over a national holiday and the hotel was very busy but the standard of service was maintained. Lifts small but adequate without long waits. Decor a little odd but 'thirties' which may explain why it seems out of date. Excellent breakfast buffet with great beach view. Welcomed to use hotel facilities on the day we left on a late flight. Cleanliness good in most areas. Good supply of fresh beach towels. Good beach access but pool area cramped. Reception and Concierge very helpful in assisting with communicating with contacts in Israel we were struggling to manage ourselves. We would use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Direct sun for most of the day on the south side gets very hot in summer. We were glad to be on the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I never take the time to review anything, but my experience there was far from expectation or review.

The plus side:

Shani in concierge was amazing as was Gil at the front desk

Location is pretty solid too, although I think it's better to be a little further south.

Breakfast was pretty awesome.

Now for the bad new:

Other than the above, the staff were not very helpful. I pride myself on being a polite and friendly guy. It seemed like I was bothering everybody anytime that I asked a question. This is not just "Israeli culture." Even if it is, this is not appropriate for a hotel rated with 5 stars. The rooms were old and tired. It needs an update badly. It was quite loud too. Lastly, they nickle and dime you to death from the internet to the gym. Totally uncool. I would spend a little more money and stay somewhere better.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel like the intercont or something. Avoid a room on the east side
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Fattal_Hotel_Chain, General Manager at Herods Tel Aviv, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for finding the time to post about your experience in our Hotel, every kind of feedback is important to us.
We thank you for your kind words, your gratitude was passed on to Shani and Gil.
We are happy to know that our location and breakfast met your expectations
We were surprised to read about our staff's attitude since good service is our priority and something we never compromise on.
We deeply apologize and we assure you this matter will be checked immediately. All of the rooms were recently renovated .
This is high season now in Israel and in Tel Aviv.The hotels in Tel Aviv are a bit louder then regular time, we apologize for the inconvenience
I sincerely hope you will give us the chance to host you again in our hotel.
Best Regards,
Koby Hatzoel
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Following up on Herods (I stay there often for business) I must say that it maintained the high level of service I was used to.

The location is perfect for going to the beach, public transportation, shopping, night-life... The staff was helpful as always and even remembered me from before. In our company rate we get access to the club-floors which means free food and drinks in the lounge all day, along with free wi-fi and gym access. That is why for me, Herods is the absolute best-buy in Tel Aviv.

The food was great as always and the maids did a flawless job with housekeeping this time.

The only negative remarks I have are a loud A/C fan in the room and poor flushing of the toilet. Otherwise, a perfect stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
New York, New York
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Hotel is in a great location on the beach.. However once you leave the beautiful and small lobby the elevators are tiny and outdated just like the rooms. The balconies barely have room to Sit outside especially with more than one person and are dirty with fake plastic grass. Mine had a rusty nail sticking out it!!!! Air conditioning is horrible and almost non effective. Hotel staff is mainly rude and uncaring, after my room flooded I had to call 3 times to get help. Plumbing is awful and noisy all night. Ordered a pizza from room service at 9pm based upon the beautiful advertisement for cheesy Italian style pizza. An hour after ordering it finally arrived cold and looked nothing like ad but more like a frozen mama Celeste pizza from grocery store.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The staff at the Herod were helpful and friendly and did as much as possible to ensure a comfortable stay. Rachel the concierge and Gill at the front desk deserve a special mention. Both made very good recommendations on restaurants and things to do around town. The location of the hotel is very central and it is within walking distance of some great shopping and eating. This is one of the more affordable hotels on the beach. However, make sure that this hotel is well within your budget as everything is extra including internet as well as the use of the bar fridge in the room. We were lucky to receive an upgrade. The room was clean and comfortable. The balcony does need some work and had quite a bit of mould. Beware if you are particular about your bed. If you like your hotel beds crisp and tight, this hotel may not be for you. The bed and pillows are soft, the linen a bit aged, only one sheet on the bed which was not made to cover the entire mattress. Make sure that you specify your room service to be charged to your room. For some reason, this is not automatic and you may be expected to pay in cash there and then. (Strange for us). Quality of the room service food was very good. The chef restaurant (as Israeli's call it) is buffet only.

Room Tip: Some sea view rooms on the lower floors look onto what is mainly a road and a strip club. Make sure...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Schnauzies
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay in this hotel. Very friendly staff. My room was always clean and well prepared. They clean it everytime I left the room (even twice a day). There is also a coffee machine and en electric kettle. Bottle of water prepared. There were apples, vine, tea, everything for free. The only issue I had was with the phone system alarm clock - somebody sets an alarm for my room number at 6:00 AM without my approval. I better disconnected the phone next night, but there was another phone on the fridge :) BTW you cannot use the room fridge without extra payment - it is an automated minibar only. On fridays and saturdays, do not use the Sabbath elevator - it stops on EVERY even floor :) I like the hotel lobby very much (check photo attached). Very good breakfast. I need to visit this hotel also with my family next time!

Room Tip: Choose a beach view (not a port view) room on higher floors. Beautiful view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo