“nice beachfront hotel”
Review of Herods Tel Aviv

Herods Tel Aviv
Ranked #56 of 103 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Reviewed May 24, 2012

After looking at a lot of Tel Aviv hotels, I realized that there are no "bargains"-it's an expensive hotel city. That said, Herod's is a very nice hotel-a great location on the beach; short walk to Dizengoff and other restaurant/store areas; a friendly, helpful staff, a fabulous breakfast buffet, good air conditioning, and a lovely bar/cafe with a pianist playing some evenings (although we found the cafe food mediocre). We booked an "executive" room, on a higher floor, which is a better room, and gives you access to a lounge with free computers, English language papers, espresso/cappuccino machines, and fruit and other snacks.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,257)

Reviewed May 22, 2012

This is a 5 star hotel. Well ... It's expensive enough and staff were really helpful and service very good but other than that I don't feel this is justified. The room was nice but no more than average; bathroom quite small and pedestrian. Room Service was quick but the Bagel we had was rather stale and unappetising.We wanted to have a bite to eat in the coffee shop but just didn't find it an attractive place to sit and relax - noisy, exposed, unrelaxing. Breakfeast is approx $60 for two and I bet a real affair, but I only want soemething light not eat like a horse so we didn't bother. The pool area again isn't great and mostly surrounded by walls- not a place for me. Also when you want to enter the hotel from the beach side you have to go round quite a long way, through a car park smelling of urine. This is not what I expect of a five star hotel and the price I paid.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LuckyDog59
FattalM, Guest Relations Manager at Herods Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us at the “Herods Tel Aviv” hotel.

We are happy to learn that you found the service good &helpful.
We were surprised to hear that your stay with us was not meet your expectations.

The parking lot which you described is a public parking lot and you do not have to go through it in order to return to the hotel. There is an entrance directly from the pool open most of the summer days and also a second stair case on the other side of the hotel which is even closer. We find the coffee shop Tnuva’le in the hotel lobby if far from relaxing, located directly in front of the Oceanfront,
Classical music in the background and a bar& kitchen open most of the day. There is an A LA carte menu all day long with an option of eating a light meal and not as much as “a horse “. The restaurants tables are located away from the main lobby and the area is quitter then the lobby area.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you once again as our valuable guest.
Best Regards,

The Guest Relations Department.

Mrs. Merav Yechezkel

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Parking is limited and costs 60 shekels per overnight stay. This is the same price as the underground parking just before you drive up the ramp which is secure too. Front desk was helpful and friendly but you will wait to be served during busy periods - ditto with the lifts. Rooms are fine and met expectations. Pool is rectangular and deep at one end which is great if you want to swim lengths. Downside is that there is only one-way access to the beach - they do not let you back in so you have to climb up public concrete stairs and enter the hotel from the front - probably for security reasons. Downstairs cafe service is good as is the food. Overall, I would stay there again particularly as Herods is competitively priced vs Sheraton, Renaissance etc further down the beach-front. For a 50% cheaper breakfast that is good quality, walk two blocks towards away from the beach and you will find a street full of cafes on Ben Yehudin street. And you get to see some typeical Tel Aviv street life/people watching!

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room, go for a higher floor as there is inevitably noise from the main road an...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Buffet breakfast and dinner very extensive and delicious
Staff friendly and helpful
Room clean, king sized bed comfortable
Balcony in room overlooked the Mediterranean
Spectacular view of the Mediterranean from the lobby where there is a little bar area and a French style cafe restaurant
Very fun and safe area to walk along the sea at night (lots going on and fun beach area)
Only negative (and it wasn't a biggie)...no free WiFi

Room Tip: Best views were on the left side of the hotel (when facing the hotel)...ask for a room on that side,
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank georgiagina
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Hello Fellow Travelers: If you are planning to visit Tel Aviv, I highly reccomend Herods Tel Aviv.

Right on the beach, not across the street.
Extremly friendly and helpful staff, ready to help and meet all your needs
Great breakfeast and dinner buffet
Quick Wi-Fi in the rooms (not free, but still!)
Great executive level rooms! Remodeled, comfy, balconies and views.
Fairly priced for Tel Aviv...and believe me, I've done my research.

The management and staff do a great job here. They are quick and efficient, and work hard to meet 5 star standards (which is rare in Israel). This hotel is very good for couples due to the remodeled, romantic, and coozy atmosphere and service.

Room Tip: Executive rooms, higher floors!!! Def. worth the extra upgrade.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew K
Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed at the Herods Hotel in Tel Aviv for 5 nights in late April 2012. We were a party of 6 people in 3 beautiful rooms, each with their own balcony granting superb views over the beach below.

The first thing that must be said about the hotel is that their staff are excellently trained, and really understand what hospitality is all about. From the friendly greeting from our chamber maid in the morning, to our ever faithful and entertaining waiter at breakfast (Yossi, who was a star!), right up the ranks to the vivacious Guest Relations Manager, Merav - all of whom made us feel welcome and at home. Most importantly, they treated us like guests, not just as "a number"... The excellent service was demonstrated time and again (for example, when I called reception to borrow an iron, they delivered this in less than 5 minutes, and then called my room to make sure I'd received it - EXCELLENT!)

Speaking of breakfast, the food was of the highest quality, and the abundance of choice really did spoil us: omlettes, waffles, about 20 different cheeses - my biggest difficulty each morning was deciding what to eat, because it was all excellent. A nice touch was the coffee bar, which served me my essential espresso and cappuccino or latte each morning.

The hotel's location is very central and located right on the beach - in fact, the beach is accessible via their gorgeous swimming pool area. The rooms are immaculate, and the mattresses and pillows were exceptional!

There is a business lounge to access the internet & emails if you stay in one of the superior rooms, which again offers a coffee machine and pastries and other nibbles.

Finally, I must add that I have been fortunate to have stayed in many hotels in my life. I cannot think of anywhere that has made me feel as welcome and relaxed. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms 719 and 1220 were both excellent!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank howzitjc
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Stayed here for 5 days in April 2012. First part of our holiday was at the Dan Boutique in Jerusalem and I would say that that hotel wins hands down over this one. It's been renovated in a very odd way - rooms are a mixture of old fashioned and modern and it just doesn't work. Very odd. Reception staff are helpful, to a point, but you don't feel like they really mean it. Had the misfortune to eat in the cafe in the lobby one evening (as everything locally was closed due to Memorial Day) and it was appalling. After waiting over an hour for our pizza, and being laughed at by the waitress (who just could not cope) we walked out (my husband ate his pizza, I couldn't eat mine as the waiter had got the order completely wrong) and told reception we weren't paying. Spoke to the manager, who was very nice, and apologised, and told us we didn't have to pay (good, as we wouldn't have anyway!) but it did kind of spoil that evening for us. Breakfasts were lovely, food was amazing in there but the organisation was a little all over the place. Hotel is in a prime location, but even on the 12th floor (we were in 1223) the traffic noise was very noticeable. The double glazing didn't seem to work at all. The bathroom was nice, although no bath, and the shower was like a wet room type thing which wasn't properly finished so the water ran out into the rest of the room. No free wifi in the hotel (appalling) but we found that you could pick up wifi from the balcony from elsewhere (so please don't pay for it at Herods!). As I said, good location. Walking distance to most places, including Carmel Market. We did walk to Jaffa which was a very long way, but still do-able. I would rate this as a four star hotel at best, as attention to detail just wasn't there. Coffee/tea in the room, a safe, a mini bar (which you could only use for your own stuff if you paid for the privilege, something like 2 shekels a day for them to empty the contents of the minibar - I got round this by just finding gaps amongst what was already in there and shoving my stuff in!!!! Seemed to work ....). On the whole, a nice hotel, but let down by its very odd decor and the attitude of some its staff. Would not rush back. Oh yes, and the swimming pool was undergoing refurbishment so it was closed. But you could use the swimming pool of the hotel next door (we didn't bother).

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a refurbished room on one of the higher floors.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple