“Excellent hotel in Tel Aviv”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dan Tel Aviv Hotel

Dan Tel Aviv Hotel
Ranked #47 of 98 Hotels in Tel Aviv
london
“Excellent hotel in Tel Aviv”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

An excellent hotel with very friendly and helpful staff. Restaurant 99 was superb. An ideal location. No hesitation in recommending and returning there again.Good indoor and outdoor pools with large sunbathing area around the pool.

Room Tip: Executive and sea view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

I can't say enough good things about The Dan Tel Aviv. The room are large and functional, the service is unmatched, the location is the best and most central. It overlooks the beautiful Tel Aviv beach, and is close to shops and restaurants. Overall, a great experience, and the best place from which to see beautiful Tel Aviv.

Room Tip: If you're able to get a room with a balcony, that's a bonus.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BlakeToronto_Canada
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

Cant believe some of the bad write-ups on the Dan in Tel Aviv. You should know how much my partner and I enjoyed our stay at the Dan Tel Aviv recently. As everyone is only too well aware, people are always quick to complain so we thought it might be appropriate for us to thank the manager and staff for the kind attention and good service to us during our visit.
We were more than delighted when given an upgrade to an Executive Suite which was so very comfortable for us. The standard of food, cleanliness and general upkeep of the hotel was excellent and indeed, we are due to visit Israel again next June and we hope that when we finalise our plans in the very near future, we may be able to look forward to visiting the Dan Tel Aviv again at that time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Ligonier, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

After spending several days at the King David we changed our plans and went up to Tel Aviv for the last three nights of our trip. We chose an Tel Aviv Hotel based upon the recommendations of the King David staff. The initial disappoint we felt was based on the comparison between the two. The consistent quality of service and maintenance of facilities at the Kind David would lead you to believe another hotel owned by the same company would share these attributes. They do not. Though many members of the Dan staff were gracious and efficient, just as many were not. Though overall the Dan is clean and up to date, the disappointment is in what's not.

Perhaps its the reverence of the historical importance of the King David that drives the pride in service and exquisite maintenance of every detail and not the drive of management. That's understandable so do NOT expect King David quality. Once you let go of that expectation, then you can enjoy the Dan for what it is. I nice higher end hotel in a beach area that serves a casual clientele including lots of vacationing families with children.

I've spent time and many hotels catering the vacationing families with children near a beach. Once I changed my perspective of comparison for the Dan, I had an attitude adjustment. I would have given an overall rating of excellent if not for a few seemingly small details of cleanliness in the room.

I like to unpack and put my clothing in the closets and drawers so my first impression of a hotel room is what I find when I start unpacking. Our room had dusty closets.

I needed to make a phone call and pulled out the phone card from the desk and found food smashed in the card. I hate that kind of think and just tossed it in the waste basket.

The color scheme in the room was dark with the main color being maroon. The upholstery on the side chair is probably new but the arms LOOK really soiled. I couldn't tell if is was just the coloration of the upholstery or soil so I didn't use the chair.

My mine complaint about the room is that the veneer of the cupboards doesn't clean well. You can see smears and remnants of accidents. My view from the bed was what appeared to be the remnants of a drink tossed at the cupboard. I even tried to clean it with a damp washcloth. I think the veneer is scored and should just be replaced with something that can stand up to use.

The room was a small suite and oddly organized so you had to go out to the front door area to get your clothing. What looked like closets in the bedroom were not. Otherwise the room was nice, the bed very comfortable and the shower was great.

The food was just as good as the food at the King David.

Room Tip: Choose this hotel to be near the beach. You'll need to take a long walk or a cab to get to the...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2011

I stay in Tel Aviv every year for Rosh Hashanah & Yom Kippur (though this year I observed Yom Kippur in Jerusalem) and after reading some of the reviews for the Dan, I'm not sure if the people stayed at the same Dan Hotel at all. I am also a stickler for detail and service and there is nothing more important about a hotel stay than that when it comes to whether or not I am going to return. I returned to get some food and use the lounge before heading to the airport and saw a survey in my email about my stay so I figured I would write one of these up since my flight is not until later tonight.

I'm happy to say that since I began staying at the Dan Tel Aviv that I've never considered staying at another place. Anybody that reads reviews of hotels I wrote in the past certainly must know that I don't hold back when things do not live up to the way they ought to be, but the Dan does and I'll tell you why:

Accommodation: I stayed in an Executive Sea View Suite and it was as wonderful this time as it was for all of the years I've been staying here. Can the hotel stand to be updated vis-a-vie furniture and things like that? Of course, but when it comes to televisions and technology, everything you could need is there. There are flat screen televisions in the living room, bathroom, and bedroom; everything is remote controlled (from the blinds to the curtains); and I've never been called in the middle of the night to make sure I was checking out (I don't believe the review written by World4673 since I know the people here and that is not something they would do - plus, it makes no sense to say that the staff ignored you and then World4673 got upset that they were paid attention to). But as far as my room went, it was great and always has been. My room was refreshed daily with fresh fruit, sweets, and water.

Staff: I'm not sure what some of the reviews here did to deserve bad service, but the other day I sat at breakfast listening to somebody speaking in English complaining that they could not get meat with their breakfast. The hotel is a KOSHER hotel yet there are people that complain (not just here, but I heard it myself) that they can't get meat. So loud and vocal was this person that I walked over to him and pointed out the McDonalds down on the Promenade. I cannot stand watching a member of a hotel or other service industry staff keeping a smile on the face while being abused by somebody that is not getting what they want because they are in a foreign country seeking something that goes against the values of the hotel. Even after the rude treatment of the dining room staff the person that was being scolded for the hotel policy of having a dairy breakfast that day stood there with a smile taking it. This is the kind of experience that confirms for me that you have to be special to work in the hospitality industry. From the moment I arrived and was escorted to my room to the moment I left, I was referred to by name at breakfast, at the bell stand, and as I walked in and out of the hotel by the guard. If you have a bad time with the staff on any level it is entirely your fault and you probably deserved to be treated much worse than you were. What I wouldn't give to be able to read the minds of hotel employees being abused by people who would know they were at a Kosher hotel if they simply read the information in the room or ANYTHING about it online.

Service: the most important thing to me at a hotel is service. I've written this many times before, but I can sleep just about anywhere (I was in the military after all), but when it comes to paying somewhere to sleep I want more than a bed, I want to be treated like I am welcomed at the place. I always feel welcome at the Dan. From the moment I arrived I was called by name, escorted to my room, always asked if things were okay and if I was enjoying my stay, consistently asked if they were living up to my expectations, and were generally concerned that I was not only having a good time (I was being kept quite busy), but if there was anything they could do to make my stay more comfortable, they would have done it. Service at this hotel is top notch and I think you genuinely have to try not to be treated well. Frankly, some people deserve to be treated badly, but I've never seen anybody lose their cool or become disrespectful. That must always happen on the "DL" (yes, I watch a lot of television) because for all of the years I've been staying at the Dan Tel Aviv, I've never ONCE seen anybody treated disrespectfully (even though some have deserved it). The hotel is a wonderful experience and though it is getting a little older now, I think if you want the good service you've come to expect out of a grand dame of an older international hotel, the Dan is where you go.

If you want an Americanized experience (or Western) then you should go to the Sheraton or whatever, but what is the point of traveling half-way around the world if only to stay at a place where the first language is English and you have rooms that look like rooms you could get in Los Angeles? There is something special about the Dan Tel Aviv and whether it is the iconic rainbow colors on the outside or if it is the fact that breakfast is a wonderful blend of the flavors of traditional Israel with modern takes on Kosher delicacies, the Dan is special and if you don't like it there you can always move, but if you try it once I can almost assure you that you'll like it. If you fall into the latter category and don't like the Dan, well, let's just say that I don't trust your judgement on the things that are important to a hotel stay.

The Dan is a wonderful place to escape the very fast pace of Tel Aviv and the craziness that comes with every trip home. I'll be back and if I'm willing to return they must be doing something right!

Room Tip: If you want an exceptional stay be sure to join the eDan Club because you will receive an upgrade to...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Steve Y
DanHotelsIsrael, Management at Dan Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your warm review at the Tripadvisor website.
As a returning guest in our hotel, it is wonderful to hear how much you enjoy the hotel's facilities and service.
It was a great pleasure to host you in the past and it will be a great pleasure to welcome you back to the Dan Tel Aviv Family.
The Guest Relations Department.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

In the old days it used to be by far the best hotel in Tel Aviv, so we were now shocked how bad it was. So many things didn't work, which can be just bad luck, but that's when the service is tested and they failed miserably. We needed to ask again and again for everything. It all started on the left foot taking 50 minutes (!) to check in (without anyone paying any attention or feeling any urgency to fix things). Then it went downhill from there. Eventually we gave up and moved to another hotel in the middle of our stay. To add insult to injury, they actually called our room at 12:30 at night, waking us, to verify that we indeed want to check out the next day. I can't think of a better symbol for their "care for the guest" attitude. Too many people there just don't.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank World4673
DanHotelsIsrael, Management at Dan Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Dan Tel Aviv Hotel.
We were sorry to learn that your stay at the Dan Tel Aviv Hotel has failed to meet your expectations. We are aware of the importance of quality service and we invest great effort and resources to preserve and to improve our standards.
We apologize that you felt your needs weren't handled with full attention during the check-in process. At that time, our Guest Relations representative together with our receptionist tried to answer your requests in a way that will meet your expectations. During the stay we were involved with the issues you presented and we were sorry to learn that eventually you decided to move to a different hotel.
We will take the relevant comments to our attention and will learn them thoroughly.
We hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you once again as our valuable guest.
Best Regards,
The Guest Relations Department.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2011

I really like Trip Advisor for many reasons, but I fail to understand how the Dan Tel Aviv is only rated number 9, when in my opinion, it surely deserves the top spot as the best hotel in Tel Aviv. My wife and stayed for a total of seven nights here, and I consider myself as somebody who is hard to please. So here are my top 7 reasons why I think this hotel should be ranked number 1 in Tel Aviv:
1. Very friendly and helpful staff, from check in to concierge to doorman. Hotel takes security seriously, you will notice the doorman is armed with side arm but only if you really look. This is standard practise at most hotels, shopping malls and some other public places.
2. Great rooms. We stayed in two different rooms, one in the 'renovated' section and one in the 'old' section. Both rooms were up to date, modern, had all the gadgets and conveniences you would expect from a luxury hotel. Wide screen HD TV is standard. Beds were great, maid service in the morning and at night was excellent. Neither room had view on the beach because these were more expensive.
3. Buffet breakfast! What can I say, was just great. If you can eat it, it was available-everything from eggs to smoked salmon to cereal to... the list just goes on and on. No need for lunch with this buffet. The service was just so nice, smiling people to bring you fresh squeezed ornage juice or lattes or whatever you needed. Newspapers galore in English or Hebrew. The breakfast room has a very nice view of the beach across the street, so this is the way to start the day.
4. Location, location, location! Hotel is about 10 minutes walking to Carmel market, 15 minutes to Dizingoff and two minutes to the beach across the street. American embassy is down the street. Money changer at the corner with realistic exchange rates on Euros and USD. Plenty of controlled parking if you are renting a car. If you are using public bus or train to move from city to city, the central bus station or train station is about 10 minutes by cab.
Contrast this location to the Intercontinental or the Dan Panorma (another Dan hotel in Tel Aviv) and you will find the others to be closer to Jaffo and away from the city center.
5. When you pay at least 320$ US a night, you expect alot and this hotel delivers. Make sure your rate includes access to the King David lounge, which is open from 9 am to 11 pm. This is what they call the 'corporate room', where business people can meet or hotel guests can go just to relax. Again, the room looks out onto the beach, the staff are eager to please and the free food and drinks, both alcohloic and not, just doesn't stop coming. So if for some reason you get hungry during the day or night and you don't want to go out to the restaurant, this room is the place to be. Plenty of international newspapers, you can pick up free wifi here or use one of three complimentary computers, although these computers still run IE8 and are really cumbersome to use as the keyboards are in Hebrew or greek. Hotmail homepage defaults to Hebrew language and is difficult to use. Only one machine has English keyboard. In any case, just to get your email can be a challenge with these machines so bring your own laptop if you can. Internet in the room is not free.
6. Very nicely designed lobby with very comfortable couches in the waiting area. Public washrooms are next to the King David lounge and are probably better than waht you have in your own home! No need to run up to the room if the urge strikes!
7. Two pools, one freshwater and the other salt water overlook the beach from the third floor. Direct access to the beach from the pool area via elevator. Take as many towels as you want to the beach.
All in all, if you can afford this level of luxury, my opinion is that you do get your money's worth. While definately not cheap, the value for money is appropiate and we had no regrets spending more than 2000.00 for our stay. The atmosphere, the amenities, the location made our vacation all that much better and we will go back there next year.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the beach are more expensive but otherwise the same as rooms with no view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple