“A popular and normally full hotel”

Dan Panorama Tel Aviv
Ranked #45 of 100 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Singapore
“A popular and normally full hotel”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

This hotel is extremely popular, and difficult to book as it's usually full. I was lucky to get a room on short notice.
I normally book an executive room with check-in on the 18th floor where I simply pass my passport to the counter staff and relax at the lounge. In a nutshell, check in was a breeze at the business lounge for executive rooms. For my recent visits, Eduard was the staff performing my check in and he was efficient and made it hassle free for all the guests. (Numerous flights arrive at around the same time, and I always see Eduard being the only staff serving with at least three customers in queue with ease.)
The rooms are pretty impressive with a balcony. The sound-proof glass kept outside noise to the minimum, including wind noise (Israel is a country with strong winds, no joke.). Honestly, there was once when asked Eduard to send some items to my room. I was at the balcony enjoying the view of the beach while waiting. After an hour, I decided to ring the business lounge to remind him, but lord and behold, the item was nicely placed on my desk just next to the balcony. I did not hear anyone pressing the door bell or entering the room. That is how good the sound insulation is.

The down side was that the WIFI in the room was down throughout my stay. I was supposed to get one hour free every day, with an option to pay for the rest. However, while the WIFI signals were strong, it had technical issues and did not allow guests to log in. As such, we were forced to go to the lobby everytime we need WIFI connectivity.

The prices at Dan Panorama increased steadily over the years from my first stay in 2007. I hope it would stop increasing as the rates are rather high now and I always had to convince my colleagues to stay here instead of moving to other hotels in Tel Aviv that could be better renovated with better facilities, but in a less-favourable location which I do not like.

Breakfast was great as usual with an amazingly large selection and plenty of seatings.

After visiting the gym at another hotel that my colleague was staying at a lower rate, but of a similar size, I have some comments.
The key improvement from my last visit early last year was the gym being opened 24/7 with access through our room card. This was great and not available at other hotels. Previously, it had limited operating hours with a gym caretaker. The gym has good facilities and I would suggest the hotel to remove the electronic cable machine (honestly, of all the gyms that I frequent in numerous countries, this was the only one wiht electronic weight machines) as that is not a good training tool, takes up a lot of space, and as of today, was miscalibrated and desperately require maintenance. Replace it with a space saving multi functional machine, e.g. Free Motion's Cable Machine,etc. The isolation machines are good, less the leg curl machine. This gym still has those knee breaking leg curl isolation machine that other gyms are dumping away. Anyway, in tight spaces, having isolation machines are a waste of space. Why not replace them with mulit-functional gym machines like one with chest press and chess flyes, or with reclinable seats that can allow the user to perform decline, incline and machine bench press? Shoulder machines that can perform shoulder press and deltoid raise? Existing leg extension machine is great. Replace the leg curl with a proper one with thigh stop? Add a multi-function abductor machine. And most importantly, add a reclinable bench that can decline. The current declinable bench is the situp bench, it's those US29.99 bench that breaks easily and not advisable to use for weights training.

Just my suggestion, hoping that my next visit/stay in Apr would be a more pleasant one.

Room Tip: Book early. This hotel is always full. Sign up for Dan membership before booking to receive welcome...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
New York
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I’ve stayed at a dozen of the hotels that line the Tel Aviv beach over the years, and the Dan Panorama is one of the top three (along with the Sheraton Towers and the David Intercontinental).

I was fortunate to stay on the executive floor, so my review is from that perspective. The room was big and beautiful, with a little balcony looking out over Tel Aviv and the Mediterranean. Beautiful view that could actually be seen from the room’s shower, if one chooses to keep the blinds open between the shower and the room.

The executive lounge was fantastic… great snacks all day long, and more substantial dinner-type items from 6 to 8 PM. Other than that period, guests are welcome to join you throughout the day.

Breakfast is outstanding. The dining room, which has views of the beach, is about the size of a football field, and has more offerings than I’ve ever seen before (and that’s saying a lot, as a veteran of Israeli hotels’ breakfasts). Really perfect.

The staff was unfailingly helpful, both on the executive floor and in the rest of the hotel… front desk, concierge desk, lobby, breakfast, etc. Pleasant and knowledgeable employees are the mark of any fine hotel, and the Dan Panorama is filled with them. The manager is also accessible and totally engaged with the guests and whatever’s going on in the building.

Internet access was acceptable, but needs some improvement. The free computers that I used in the executive lounge were fairly slow. There’s a charge for WiFi in the room, but you can get an hour’s free by becoming a member of the e-Dan Club (which is free). I did that, and also took advantage of the WiFi in the lobby, which is available all day and night for free. On some days there were problems with the WiFi in the room, but when I called the local IT number, they always managed to fix it. Despite the minor annoyances, I got online every day that I was there… and between the lobby, the one in-room hour, and the lounge computers, never had to pay for it.

The location of the hotel is perfect… you can walk to the Carmel Market or the beautiful Neve Tzedek neighborhood or the wonderful HaTachana complex (a former railroad station, now restaurants and shops). The exquisite Herbert Samuel restaurant is right next door, and the fabulous Manta Ray restaurant is across the street on the beach.

This was my first time at Dan Panorama, but it won’t be my last.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed February 26, 2014

It's been our second time at this hotel and we loved it really a lot, again. My wife and I went to Tel Aviv for a getaway and after thinking a lot about what hotel to choose, we decided to come to Dan Panorama, thanks to the previous experience. We weren't disappointed!
Starting with warm and professional check in at the front desk with Guy who was very warm and cheerful, then at the dining room with Gid'on who surprised me by the fact he remembered my name and just in general - the overall experience was really great! The room is not big, but we were not looking for a suite. It had everything we needed and was clean - which is much more important than size. The bed is really big and comfortable so if one has problems falling asleep, at the Dan Panorama s/he will definitely be cured!
So, to conclude. To all the hotel staff - thank you for this wonderful experience! The Dan Panorama is going to be our choice when next time in Tel Aviv.
Dmitri Katz

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dk81
Plovdiv
Reviewed February 24, 2014

It is a classic5 star hotel for the comfort lovers.Nothing breathtaking about the design or something,but really spotless cleanness, outstanding service.Not one mistake from anyone working there.And I have to mention the breakfast because such variety is exceptional.And the view from 18 th floor

Room Tip: Executive floor:)
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I must say, everything about my stay was fabulous. From the wonderful front desk staff who helped us find a kosher pizza hut that delivered, room service, and all other amenities. No matter what the question, they always had an answer and no matter the day or time, they were very helpful. The beds were comfortable, extra pillows arrived quickly when requested and rooms were serviced daily.

I was actually here in January of 2013 but am trying to go back and finish reviewing the hotels that got forgotten!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel and we had a magnificent experience! In particular,the guest relations manager, Hili Rom and her assistant Safran we most helpful and kind to this aging couple. We found the staff at breakfast and in the club room to be so extraordinarily attentive and pleasant...Kudos to Ariel, Liran . Elkie, and all others who made our stay so pleasant, The concierge staff was especially helpful in navigating Tel Aviv. The food was ample and good at breakfast and exceptionally tasty and well organized on the 18th floor. Rooms were comfortable and clean, and we would choose this vacation again in a minute! The view of the sea is wonderful and you can walk to Jaffa

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Debby W
Darlington, Maryland
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I stayed at the Dan Panorama Tel Aviv for 11 days this month. I was in Tel Aviv (my first visit to Israel) on business.

The location is terrific - across the street from the Tel Aviv beach. It was a little chilly in February, but walking along the beach was still very nice (and MUCH nicer than the massive snowstorms we were having back in the states!)

The hotel itself is a little dated by international business standards, but very serviceable. Rooms clean and modern, easy to get around. The service staff was helpful and (mostly) spoke good English.

There is not much in the way of restaurants within walking distance (unless you want to hike down to Jaffa - which I did on a Friday afternoon), so I ended up having dinner in the hotel - either room service or at the restaurant. Dining at the Dan Panorama is pricey, however. Dinner at the restaurant was about $50-$60 for a mostly kosher buffet. Lots of choices, but mostly bland entres. They do terrific deserts, however. Room service was also good, but overall I found my taste buds somewhat bored by the cuisine. I did find one place in Jaffa on my day off that had a bit more spice, probably because it was more Arab and Israeli.

Free buffet breakfast is included with the room, and that was handy. Full Israeli breakfast menu, with a few international dishes. No meat. Typical hotel scrambled eggs (pretty rubbery), rolls, coffee and OJ. A coffee bar can make a serviceable cappucino. Hint: grab a few tea packets before you return to your room - the selection is better than what the maids can provide.

You can get free WiFi in the 2nd floor Lobby, which I found helpful. You can also order light snacks and drinks. The free WiFi did not extend into the restaurant unless you sit right by the front door.

WiFi on a daily basis is about $20 a day, which is expensive by most standards. But you might want to join their E-Dan club which entitles you to one hour of free WiFi per day.

And for you iPhone users, free WiFi means you can make a FaceTime call back to the states for free. Note that the limited bandwidth of the hotel's WiFi service (whether paid or free) made it difficult to sustain a VIDEO Facetime call; Audio Facetime worked better (but it still dropped out).

But the hotel's WiFi provider was unable to automatically connect my iPhone, so I had to have the front desk call them every time I wanted to connect. That was a pain in the neck, because it often took 20-30 minutes to get them on the phone, and every time I had to walk THEM through the particulars of my problem. I knew I just needed to give them my phone's IP address (from the settings menu), but the customer reps I was speaking to apparently had a script which dictated "try this . . . try that . . ." on every call. Annoying, and when I told the hotel managers (different people at different times of the day), all I got was a shrug.

Perhaps the difficulty of using the one-hour free was the hotel's way of encouraging purchase of the $20 daily WiFi service . . .

For a hotel that is connected to it's own small convention center and attempting to draw business travelers, lack of reliable WiFi is a problem.

Maid service was good; hotel maintenance less so. One morning I had rusty hot water (which the hotel manager attributed to a "broken pipe") and another morning I had virtually no hot water for a shower. If your room is on the south side of the property (even number rooms I believe), you will get blasted by afternoon sun (even in the winter); so leaving the sliding door open is mandatory. There was no air conditioning available.

I packed light, with just a single carry-on for my long stay. So I availed myself of the hotel's laundry service. That was terrific and fast. And my oxford-cloth dress shirts were happy with the service - returning clean, pressed and soft.

Overall a solid hotel; reasonably priced (which made the $20/day WiFi less painful). I'll probably stay there when I go back.

And for the record, taxis in Tel Aviv are expensive. I spent about $100 a day just getting back and forth to my office in Ra'anana. But every morning there was a custer of taxis in front of the hotel waiting for me.

Room Tip: South side (even numbers) faces down to Jaffa, with a very nice view. But you'll get blasted by...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank rickhowe
DanHotelsIsrael, General Manager at Dan Panorama Tel Aviv, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear rickhowe ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts following your stay with us, it is truly through comments from our guests that we are able to develop our service standards.

Im happy that overall we met your expectations and you had a good experience in our hotel.
While a little late to rectify for you this time, your comments have been heard and following in-depth management discussions, it has been decided that as of now, all guests will receive complimentary wi-fi in all Dan Hotels. We're excited to be adding this extra value for our guests.
Looking forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back,
best regards,